It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

babark: Out of curiousity, how much of https://www.gog.com/news/mod_spotlight_system_shock_2 is still applicable to the current System Shock 2?
The spotlight references this thread. You want post #1 which is kept updated.
Just downloaded SS2Tool 6.1 from www.systemshock.org and Norton is having a fit, claiming it has WS.Reputation.1. Now, occasionally Norton gives false alarms--sometimes on great games like I'm expecting this one to be.

Is this a false alarm, or has there been some hacking of files going on?

I'm just going to go ahead and use it and assume Norton just wasn't happy that it is a newish file.

Another question: Do I create a DMM fold or a DataPermMods folder to put the mods in? I have neither such folder.
Post edited June 09, 2016 by SwordofSpirit
false positive.

just run the manager once and it will create the folder.
Thanks! Without mods it's unplayeable to non-old players.
I wouldn't call it unplayable, but yeah, SCP and SHTUP-ND are always a good start, and they do smooth things out in a nice, unintrusive way, both in the visual and gameplay departments. never leave your training center without those two.

I assume you have found the modding guide, right?
Post edited June 09, 2016 by voodoo47
I wish there would be one download installer to have the game fully modded. I've been reading everywhere and the more page I open the more confuse I get with all these mods. I'll just play vanilla I guess.
fully modding SS2 is just three steps - you download whatever you want, load everything up by clicking a button, arrange priorities according to the picture, done.
Post edited September 28, 2016 by voodoo47
voodoo47: fully modding SS2 is just three steps - you download whatever you want, load everything up by clicking a button, arrange priorities according to the picture, done.
Yeah I've been trying to figure this for a while. I had like 10 open tabs and was searching for download links everywhere and managed to install a few. That's why I was wondering if someone had a zip file with everything in it.
Could you tell me what you meant by "arranging priorities"? Can I encounter more problems while playing if the hierarchy of the mods are not in a specific order in SS2tool?.

I've had some mods installed when I gave the game a try almost 2 years ago but never had to install SS2tools so I was a bit lost when I wanted to reinstall the game recently. Thanks for the reply.

Edit: Am I the only one that has SS2 disappearing from Galaxy when I install SS2tool with mods? I've been reinstalling it twice and the same problem appeared.
Post edited September 30, 2016 by Artless7
there isn't anything that would need figuring out - you just download all the mods you want, run the manager, load them all up into your SS2 install, activate them and arrange the priorities according to the picture (in the guide I've linked), using the increase/decrease priority buttons. this is needed for everything to display correctly, but won't break the game even if you get it wrong - you just won't get proper hires models everywhere, for example.

the tool modifies the game folder structure, so the game may appear broken or missing to steam or galaxy. this doesn't really matter, but if it bothers you, you can always keep the steam/galaxy build intact, and just copy it someplace else, and patch and mod the copy, so steam/galaxy won't complain.

mod loading did change in recent years - because now we finally have tools that are safe and easy to use. also, most mods have received updates that make them incompatible with the old ways of mod loading, so not using the mod manager is strongly discouraged.
Post edited September 30, 2016 by voodoo47
voodoo47: using the increase/decrease priority buttons. this is needed for everything to display correctly, but won't break the game even if you get it wrong - you just won't get proper hires models everywhere, for example.
Ok that's what I wanted to know, I'll try to adjust them according to the provided picture.

I'm not sure installing SS2tools in another folder will help Galaxy seeing the game, however Steam can launch the very same DRM-Free .exe no problem (Oh the irony :)
It gives quite a footnote to Galaxy in my book because I bought the game on GoG afterall.. anyway I can still launch it somehow so it's not dramatic.

Thanks for the replies!
the point is that the galaxy install will not be modified, thus galaxy won't have a problem.
My point was that most people are gonna play a modified (supposedly better) version of the game so it's a shame it's not working with the official GoG launcher. There are many other games on GoG which are very old and got afterwards patches made by fans so not being able to make them work is a pity. Just my opinion though.
this is not a bug, it's how things work - any content delivery system will be incompatible with 3rdparty modifications (as it has no way of telling whether the changes are desirable or not).

but very well, I'll have a look (at the problem of SS2 not being visible to galaxy after modding), and if it's something simple, I'll talk to GOG.
Why bother? Just launch SS2 outside of Galaxy. I don't think that I have ever used Galaxy to launch anything.
it's actually already fixed.