It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Actually, the updating of my bios and motherboard drivers helped only for a one time run of this game. The second time and every time after this the game crashed as expected previously on keyboard input.

However, when I tried this recent unofficial game patch, the game started working again without crashing on keyboard input and I was able to play it completely through. Only some occasional freezes occured that required ending the process from task manager. These where luckily only once in every 2-3 hours so I think it is in line with modern games.

So, thanks for making the effort to patch this game, it obviously helped in my case. :)
low rated
of course, why state obvious..
but there's a qualitative difference between "not tested enough" & "ready for sale"
as i was told by my friend, this is not the 1st time gog sells something eagerly baked..

voodoo47: if you are looking for certainty, you should be googling "death" and "taxes".

there is no such thing as (complex) software that has ALL bugs and issues fixed/removed upon release. any/all software will get released once its development reaches a stage where the test team agrees that it is mature enough to get released. and then, once it will be used by thousands, new bugs and problems will pop out. and they will get fixed, as soon as humanly possible. and then, some more will be found. and fixed again. etc etc. sometimes, a release is screwed up magnificently (arkham knight), but that is certainly not the case here.

you are simply not willing to accept reality. also, you are rude, annoying, and your arguments are bad. you should feel bad, think about yourself, and try to act like a decent human being next time.
svatem1: of course, why state obvious..
but there's a qualitative difference between "not tested enough" & "ready for sale"
as i was told by my friend, this is not the 1st time gog sells something eagerly baked..
It's not the first time any digital store has sold something which does not run for everybody but I guess this argument is not valid to you becasue GOG and Nightdive simply are bad and if they are not they still are.
svatem1: so you're sure they cought all possible ways the bug can manifest itself?
because if you read through the forum, for some it worked even before and e.g. crashed during reading 1st mail from Shodan etc. ..

arisuchan: Yep, working for me too now. Hooray! Thanks devs, and thanks everyone else who fed back which I'm sure helped them isolate and fix the fault quicker.
svatem1:
No, I'm not sure that they've fixed every single bug. In fact I would be extremely surprised if they did. Blizzard are a massive company with thousands of times the budget of Night Dive, yet they were still patching Starcraft some 10 years after release, so I don't expect a completely bug free game from anybody one week after launch.

That being said, I've played about half an hour and not encountered any game-breaking issues. I've received the first mail from Shodan and the game didn't crash (well actually it did when I had the graphics ratcheted up to 1920x1080 but that was just me being ambitious. Turning it down again to 1024x768 resolved that issue).

I don't enjoy encountering a bug which prevents me from playing at launch, and I'm sure nobody else does either but the way the devs asked for feedback and got their heads down to create a patch relieved a lot of the frustration and actually makes me confident that they'll do their best to sort out any other major issues people encounter.
LauriT: Actually, the updating of my bios and motherboard drivers helped only for a one time run of this game. The second time and every time after this the game crashed as expected previously on keyboard input.

However, when I tried this recent unofficial game patch, the game started working again without crashing on keyboard input and I was able to play it completely through. Only some occasional freezes occured that required ending the process from task manager. These where luckily only once in every 2-3 hours so I think it is in line with modern games.

So, thanks for making the effort to patch this game, it obviously helped in my case. :)
Just wanted to say I had the exact same problem as LauriT and ADorante, crashes as soon as the keyboard was used, but the latest unofficial patch worked for me!
My specs: Mac Mini 2011 (Macmini5,2) running Windows 7 Home Premium x64 (all updates done), Core i5-2520M (2 physical cores, 2.5 GHz), AMD Radeon HD 6630M (OEM display drivers from Apple BootCamp).

I just want to confirm that SS1 Enhanced also crashed for me after about 3-7 seconds after launch, regardless of what I changed in sshock.ini and regardless of how I launched it (link on desktop, from GOG Galaxy or directly using Explorer) and regardless of a compatibility mode I choose (Windows XP mostly).

I had Steam, Origin, GOG Galaxy and Raptr (including Plays.tv) running. Closing only Raptr as adviced in a previous post did not change anything.

(Other open programs: Explorer, Notepad, Firefox.)

I then closed all those gaming clients I had running and it worked.
I then started one by one again and as it turns out, Raptr AND Plays.tv needs to be closed in order to make the game not crash on startup.

Also, I had a freeze with VideoMode=6 and a display resolution set to 1680x1050 (the native display resolution of my monitor). Setting VideoMode back to 5 makes it run normally, so this is again a vanilla (unmodified) sshock.ini, with the only exception of Joystick=Off (I don't have one, so I left if at off).

I did not use the patch provided in this forum.

Anyway, all this leaves a bad taste since this Enhanced Edition seems to have some serious flaws i.e. instabilities, which should be addressed.
I usually don't do necro threads, but see no reason to open a new one.
All errors have been documented already here in this thread, regarding the game launches and after some seconds it just CTDs without any feedback and no reason why.

I started my EE game for the first time for some time and it did exactly what all users here described too, it crashed after being some seconds in the game.
The thing is IT'S 2017 and itis somehow not resolved really makes me kinda angry, sicne I wanted to simply play the enhanced edition and stream it again... atm not possible.
I went through the regular routines, checking drivers etc. problems with other software etc. nothing so far.
I did a verify of files and also removed and fully downloaded it again, no change.
It starts and after some seconds it just crashes.

I streamed the Enhanced Edition on Twitch, when it was released!
This is really unsatisfying now, when I have some time on my hands to play it again and it does not work!
Can you simply check again what the hell is wrong with the game?
Id do not want to manually override all the stuff, when you do propose this is an out of the box experience which it is not atm and the user is forced to make an effort to get help or help himself again.

I don't want to read the following now:
- any stupid necro-thread comments
- neither "read the FAQ"
- or some other user telling me it's running on his machine

I want this to be finally fixed for good.
Can't be that this is being advertised for good and in the end it features an RNG deciding if it runs on a PC or not :P

Though if there is any hidden new update to the EE exe I would be delighted to find it super easy or it should be simply channeled through the pipe to the users.

Cheers
if none of the fixes work then you might be simply out of luck - something on your computer probably changed, no real way to know.

at this point, it's probably not worth it to develop the EE wrapper anymore - NDS have the SS1 source code, and they will either release it so the community could come up with a proper windows port or they may decide to do it themselves at some point.

both of these will take a while though, so your best bet is probably to wait for one of the fan remakes - Citadel should be finally out pretty soon.
voodoo47: if none of the fixes work then you might be simply out of luck - something on your computer probably changed, no real way to know.

at this point, it's probably not worth it to develop the EE wrapper anymore - NDS have the SS1 source code, and they will either release it so the community could come up with a proper windows port or they may decide to do it themselves at some point.

both of these will take a while though, so your best bet is probably to wait for one of the fan remakes - Citadel should be finally out pretty soon.
Thanks for he reply man!

I could narrow it down to OBS Open Broadcaster Studio, latest version.
Don't know if other verions have the same problems.
As I wrote initially, I was able to stream the game as is (SSEE).

What changed? Did OBS change to block a resource for SSEE or did SSEE change to need a resource concurrent with OBS?

So I initially wanted to stream the game now, but it is atm not possible.
Having OBS open in background crashed the game within seconds.
When I close OBS, the game works...
Played like 10 min. without any troubles.

Strange...
Post edited April 29, 2017 by classicsftw
I experienced this crash on one of my machines (running Windows 10 64-bit with a Realtek ALC3225 DAC), but finally was able to solve it by changing the audio sampling rate that Windows uses. With a sampling rate of 48 KHz@16 bits, the game would immediately crash; changing this to 44.1 KHz@16 bits made it work.

Don't know if this is the same cause of crashes as for most people in this thread, but I hope this information is of use to someone.