It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Rancid83: Shutting down Raptr fixed hardware rendering for me. SS1 in 720p widescreen at a decent frame rate? Yes please.

Thanks to everyone who had good suggestions.
If you meant you want to run the game in a widescreen. Follow those lines in the sshock.ini (BOLD):

---

; Selected video mode
; Options:
; 0 320x200
; 1 unused
; 2 640x400
; 3 640x480
; 4 800x600
; 5 1024x768
; 6 Custom screen resolution (see below)
VideoMode=6

; Custom screen resolution
; Select the width, height and aspect
; Aspect should be set to zero for automatic calculation
; For manual aspect, set its value using the formula Height / Width * 65536
; WARNING: Resolutions higher than 1024x768 may crash the system
CustomWidth=854
CustomHeight=480

---

I know that 854x480 is a small widescreen, but it really works for me. Really strange it is.

EDITED
Better change the lines:

CustomWidth=1024
CustomHeight=768
Post edited September 25, 2015 by Glowhyena
Rancid83: SS1 in 720p widescreen at a decent frame rate? Yes please.
Glowhyena: If you meant you want to run the game in a widescreen
No, I meant actually got the game to run fine with CustomWidth = 1280 and CustomHeight = 720 :)

Thanks for taking the time to write that out, though.
Glowhyena: If you meant you want to run the game in a widescreen
Rancid83: No, I meant actually got the game to run fine with CustomWidth = 1280 and CustomHeight = 720 :)

Thanks for taking the time to write that out, though.
Rancid83, I wondered why you're running the game at 720p. I figured out. Thanks to Descent 3 for reminding me of the vert-. When we force Descent 3 to run at widescreen, we will get vert- (Missing horizons in the viewscreen.)

So, return to SS:EE, when we start a new game with two different resolution screens:
The first screenshot (widescreen) that we can't see the floor where we're standing on. (without looking down with mouselook, just centered. Without moving around) Ignore the ramp. The second screenshot (letterbox or 4:3,) now, we can see the floor.

I believe that 1024x768 is the best option for the game then. :3

EDITED
Heh... I misread "768" instead of "720p." X3
Attachments:
shock000.gif (58 Kb)
shock001.gif (89 Kb)
Post edited September 25, 2015 by Glowhyena
Huh, looks like you're right about the amount of stuff visible on screen. I wonder if it's possible to tinker with the aspect ratio in a way that utilizes the extra width you get in 16:9 versus 4:3 [edit: instead of it being a sacrifice in height} without making the proportions of the game look stupid...
Post edited September 25, 2015 by Rancid83
I was having similar crashing issues to others in this post. I tried the .ini fixes and they didn't work, I tried the update that was posted and it didn't work. When I saw about Raptr I thought I would check and see if I had this program installed. I did, so I uninstalled it and that fixed the problem!
browncoat1984: I was having similar crashing issues to others in this post. I tried the .ini fixes and they didn't work, I tried the update that was posted and it didn't work. When I saw about Raptr I thought I would check and see if I had this program installed. I did, so I uninstalled it and that fixed the problem!
You shouldn't rip off of Raptr from your computer, you could disable it. But it's up to you. :3
I cannot even get the game started on my XP machine.. I can play it fine on my Win7 machine but want to move to my XP machine as it has a more suitable monitor for this game..

Error message I get in event viewer is

"Faulting application sshock.exe, version 1.0.0.0, faulting module sdl2.dll, version 2.0.3.0, fault address 0x000c37be."

BTW this is a modern PC with XP installed on it and originally XP did not want to install on it.. I assume the problem is because of this..
Saleck: Here is an in-the-works patch we have.

http://www.saleck.net/ownCloud/index.php/s/OML4Zarbf6AcPBy

What is new:
Possible fix for the crashing on startup some people have been having.
Possible fix for the Free Disk No-Save bug.
Partial Bugfix for a music playback issue when the player dies and goes back to the main menu.

All feedback is appreciated.
Thanks.
Looks like using this patch and leaving the sshock.ini file at defaults then changing SoftRenderer to On leaves the game in a working state.

Thanks - look forward to the official patch.
After turning off RAPTR and setting the renderer back to Hardware, it works perfectly. I'm even running it at 1080p with zero lag.

I never thought I'd see the day I could run this so well. Been one of my favorite games of all time and I'm thrilled it finally got the GOG treatment.

Thanks everyone for working together and finding solutions. Well...almost everyone. I think Martin needs to have his computer taken away by his Mommy.
Man, this morning I've found that the game that was running well in these two days, today decided to crash, this time not because i used the mouse at the start page but because this time i used the keyboard, keyboard that was running well till yesterday evening when I stopped to play..... It's a pain in the ass.....
I these few hours I did not load or changed the config of the game or the PC.
low rated
i did 30 push ups this morning, i ate 2 slices of bread with honey and it did not solve the problem
i hope this will help somebody
This is what i did to make it run again; In the .ini file; Stretch=Full, SoftRenderer=off, VideoMode=4. Then in compatibility mode, Windows XP service pack 3, Run as administrator and Disable desktop composition.

Oh and i also closed Steam and Amd Gaming evolved.

AMD FX-6350
AMD Radeon HD 7970
16GB Ram
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
Post edited September 25, 2015 by Vidocq87
Vidocq87: This is what i did to make it run again; In the .ini file; Stretch=Full, SoftRenderer=off, VideoMode=4. Then in compatibility mode, Windows XP service pack 3, Run as administrator and Disable desktop composition.

Oh and i also closed Steam and Amd Gaming evolved.

AMD FX-6350
AMD Radeon HD 7970
16GB Ram
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
I followed it, but nothing, and is amazing like yesterday was running good, and today no.... mah!
I think I solved the problem on my system. I updated the bios and all drivers and utilities of the motherboard. After this the game no longer crashes on keyboard input.

And I didn't try the patch yet by the way.
Post edited September 25, 2015 by LauriT
I had a hunch what could cause the crashes and finally could test it out: It is one of the USB peripherals - namely my Logitech G19 keyboard. Once I exchanged it for a spare no frills wireless keyboard suddenly I could play.

Of course this is no solution! No USB device should infringe on the performance of SS1. And I already killed all helper software processes for the G19 and the XBox-Controller.

Hope this helps for the needed patch.

(Pro tip: If Your Dead Space 1/2 installation isn't starting --> disconnect your XBox360-Controller from PC)