It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Hi,

After upgrading to a MAC in 2009 I was worried that I would never be able to play PC classics such as this game.

Now with GOG I can finally play System Shock 2 but I am surprised that playing at 1024x768 is awfully slow.

I have an IMAC 21" 2009 with 4 Gb RAM.

I did install the SS2Tool v5.1 successfully but see no difference.

The MAC GPU is NVIDIA GeForce 9400 256 MB graphics. It exceeds the requirements. I can hardly understand why the game played better on my old PC (forgot the specs) dated back 2006.

Any advice?

Thanks.
the gpu is extremely inadequate. edit cam_ext.cfg, and make sure multisampling is disabled. like this:
;multisampletype 8
voodoo47: the gpu is extremely inadequate. edit cam_ext.cfg, and make sure multisampling is disabled. like this:
;multisampletype 8
voodoo47:
Inadequate? Would the 2012 Imac GPU be better?

Your advice was really helpful :)

It plays perfectly fine now!

Thanks!
no idea, but the 9400 is extremely low end. a low end gpu will always be slow, no matter how old/new it is.
I have the same Mac (except 24" large) and multisampling is defintely the bottle neck. It might not even be our graphics card, but an issue with Wine. I don't know, but I'm not bothered by the little aliasing that is there, so I never cared to investigate.
the bottleneck is actually the 64bit memory bus of those lowend cards - all such cards I have tested were unable to handle the game when multisampling was enabled.