It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I'm trying not to give a lot away in terms of story, but at one part, early in the game, you find a voice cylinder inside a tomb which I assume holds some sort of message. A bit later, you find a device in an office which is capable of playing the cylinder. As soon as I pop the cylinder into the device, the game stops. I alt-tab out to the desktop and the message "Insert the DVD" is shown with the options of Retry and Cancel. Retry does nothing and Cancel shuts down the game.
Is anyone else having this issue or am I special?
This question / problem has been solved by mich9l6ngeloimage
My files are already AN files and I have the same problem. Any ideas what else to try?
andibeard: My files are already AN files and I have the same problem. Any ideas what else to try?
Find the Debug.log file and open it in Notepad. You will see an entry that will state where the game is looking for the file and what they are called.

In my game the folder looked like this

" Starting cinematic playback 'C2_HansAnnaB.syb'...User has task switched: activating.
Insert CD dialog box: Please insert the DVD entitled 'Syberia'
Looking for file 'Video\AN\C2_HansAnnaB.syb'User has task switched: activating.
Looking for file 'Video\AN\C2_HansAnnaB.syb'User pressed CANCEL: aborting application."

I copied the files into the appropriate folder and had no further problems.
andibeard: My files are already AN files and I have the same problem. Any ideas what else to try?
Bigbird5291: Find the Debug.log file and open it in Notepad. You will see an entry that will state where the game is looking for the file and what they are called.

In my game the folder looked like this

" Starting cinematic playback 'C2_HansAnnaB.syb'...User has task switched: activating.
Looking for file 'Video\AN\C2_HansAnnaB.syb'User has task switched: activating.
Looking for file 'Video\AN\C2_HansAnnaB.syb'User pressed CANCEL: aborting application."

I copied the files into the appropriate folder and had no further problems.
I couldn't find anything like that. The only reference to any of those files is this:
Starting cinematic playback 'C2_HansAnnaB.syb'...User has task switched: deactivating.
User has task switched: deactivating.

It happens repeatedly in my debug file.

I also have already tried another user's fix which was to create an AN file and copy the three files into that directory, deleting the AN from the file names. It didn't change anything.
UPDATE: This actually did fix my problem. However, I had an old partial copy of the game from a friend's CD copy still on my computer. Once I deleted that, the fix worked.
Post edited February 02, 2016 by andibeard
Thanks everyone for the heads up, I had the same problem,

Italian version here

From "debug.log":
Activation closeup item named 'Interaction avec le support a cylindre'
Starting cinematic playback 'C2_HansAnnaB.syb'...Assert: GetGameString: can't find item 'DVD_Question' in array
Assert: GetGameString: can't find item 'DVD_Title' in array
User has task switched: activating.
Insert CD dialog box: 'Syberia'
Looking for file 'Video\ITC2_HansAnnaB.syb'User pressed CANCEL: aborting application.

I copied all the files from the "Video\AN" directory to the "Video" folder, and then added "IT" to the beginning of their names.

Now the cinematic is playing and I have no more errors.
Post edited May 15, 2016 by powergod
powergod: Thanks everyone for the heads up, I had the same problem,

Italian version here

From "debug.log":
Activation closeup item named 'Interaction avec le support a cylindre'
Starting cinematic playback 'C2_HansAnnaB.syb'...Assert: GetGameString: can't find item 'DVD_Question' in array
Assert: GetGameString: can't find item 'DVD_Title' in array
User has task switched: activating.
Insert CD dialog box: 'Syberia'
Looking for file 'Video\ITC2_HansAnnaB.syb'User pressed CANCEL: aborting application.

I copied all the files from the "Video\AN" directory to the "Video" folder, and then added "IT" to the beginning of their names.

Now the cinematic is playing and I have no more errors.
By the way: same problem with the German version:
copy the three video-files with "..._hansannab.syb" to the video folder and rename the copies to
"dec2_hansannab.syb", "dec5_hansannab.syb" and "dec10_hansannab.sysb".
Nice game ;-)
This fix did not help me. Checking log did not show "Looking for" anything. This was installed from original disc.

Actually, if you only have one cylinder instead of two, your just using the wrong cylinder. You need the cylinder from the cemetery.
Thank you philirlande for cluing me in.
Post edited January 24, 2017 by skoville
mich9l6ngelo: According to debug.log (found in game's root folder), game is looking for 'Video\AN\C2_HansAnnaB.syb', so just rename ANC2_HansAnnaB.syb to C2_HansAnnaB.syb, create folder AN and move the file there. It is probably the same for other two files, ANC5_hansanna.syb and ANC10_hansanna.syb. There's no need to set the privelage level to administrator.
Actually, if you only have one cylinder instead of two, your just using the wrong cylinder. You need the cylinder from the cemetery.
Thank you philirlande for cluing me in.
Hello,
though I have the directiory VIEDEO/AN and the file c2_hannahansB.syb the game stops, when I put in the cylinder and requires a DVD. My Version is a download from GOG and I have already checked the installtion with the GOG tool.
What to do else?
Thanks for help.
The problem seems to be fixed if english version is installed, if a different version is installed, the problem remains.

It can be solved renaming the new "AN" videos with the current language; IT for italian, ES for spanish... etc...
Post edited November 10, 2017 by Gudadantza
Gudadantza: The problem seems to be fixed if english version is installed, if a different version is installed, the problem remains.

It can be solved renaming the new "AN" videos with the current language; IT for italian, ES for spanish... etc...
As least for the German version I had to delete the "AN" part from the three files in the Video folder to be able to access the cutscenes from within the game menu. I did not have to rename anything during the game though. Both directorys are important depending o which language you chose and how you access the cutscene.
Post edited November 20, 2017 by MarkoH01
Well in fact this is mad.

I noticed that renaming the three files in video folder worked at least for the spanish version. But days ago the game was updated with a hotfix, no idea if it is the reason or not, but now, trying to watch the movies from the menu, gave me an "insert DVD window". Showing an ingame popup window this time.

It is solved keeping both the renamed files plus the original ones into the video folder. I keep the AN folder untouched.
No idea if it will work when I encounter the next problematic movie playing the game itself.

As a note I own the Syberia 2 in Origin and I know It needs to be language fixed with a reg file. It appears to be a family problem

Greetings
Post edited November 21, 2017 by Gudadantza
We've downloaded the game on GOG in November 2017. The problem still occurs in the German version, the game freezes. We could fix it with renaming the 3 files (putting DE in front of the file names). We did not need to make a new folder or move files to another folder. We also didn't have to use administrator rights. I hope this helps others who have the same problem.
GamingFamily: We've downloaded the game on GOG in November 2017. The problem still occurs in the German version, the game freezes. We could fix it with renaming the 3 files (putting DE in front of the file names). We did not need to make a new folder or move files to another folder. We also didn't have to use administrator rights. I hope this helps others who have the same problem.
can confirm that, log says:
"Looking for file 'Video\DEC2_HansAnnaB.syb'User pressed CANCEL: aborting application."

seriously, gog? after seven years you guys were unable to properly rename some files in your installer? lame.
Post edited December 21, 2017 by kpz
GamingFamily: We've downloaded the game on GOG in November 2017. The problem still occurs in the German version, the game freezes. We could fix it with renaming the 3 files (putting DE in front of the file names). We did not need to make a new folder or move files to another folder. We also didn't have to use administrator rights. I hope this helps others who have the same problem.
Worked for me, too.

I only changed all three filenames from:
ANc2_hansannab.syb
ANc5_hansanna.syb
ANc10_hansanna.syb

to:
DEc2_hansannab.syb
DEc5_hansanna.syb
DEc10_hansanna.syb

and all is working fine now.
Post edited January 05, 2018 by biertrinker81
Sorry, I write this in spanish because i understand that this is a problem in spanish version.

Hoy en 2021, me ha pasado lo mismo, pero la solución de arriba no me ha funcionado exactamente para la versión española.

el renombrado (yo hice copiado para evitar borrar cosas) de ficheros debe de ser de:

SPc2_hansannab.syb
SPc5_hansanna.syb
SPc10_hansanna.syb

a:
ESc2_hansannab.syb
ESc5_hansanna.syb
ESc10_hansanna.syb

Lo escribo en español, porque entiendo que afecta solo a la versión española