After addition of floppy speech pack and floppy Tactical Operations pack the game gets updated to the version 2.1 (which can be checked with ctrl-v in-game). In this state the game has moreless all the features of cd version apart from the digital character voices between missions (which may not necessarily be a bad thing ;)
Sadly the only TO disks I "found" updated to version 2.3 , exact same behavior as the CD version.
There was someone working on a map and airplane viewer some time ago, he had some useful code to extract the game datafiles/assets (same structure than privateer1 apparently).
After some days off digging and trial and error this is what I found out so far:
- when extracting data files from bigtre.tre and putting them in the sc directory and removing bigtre from SC.CFG , the data files are loaded instead (even every mission restart from alt-o screen, sc directory needs to mounted as C:\ )
- the files within liltre.tre / bigtre.tre and the disk versions are in many parts identical
- a2a missile files seem to be the same across all versions
- the dogfight module loads ROOKIE / VETERAN / ACE AI profiles according to ui choice
- there is a NULL AI file that cant maneuver and only flies straight , even that one is immediately dropping chaff/flare on missile launch but in oddly 1.5 sec intervals when replacing ROOKIE AI with it
- manipulation of AI files did not yield any result so far, maybe playtesters guide AII variables will help
- renaming airplanes works as well , flying the gray f16 / mirage2000 / a10 worked out ok, f16gray has a little less thrust than players machine, invalid weapons will be stripped on mission start.
- aerodynamic properties and thrust can be manipulated (reached mach 9 by mistake -> but no controls)
- while default weapons are defined in planes there are loadout profiles that get stacked on top of each other (logged file access to see the order)
- chaff / flare quantity can be changed, values in hex is 1E after the keyword DCOY
- editing the STRIKE.EXE with an hex editor and renaming DCOY to anything else activates hardcore mode: no one has "decoys", missile evasion only possible through maneuvers :O
Also when in close range the enemy planes seem to be able to tank missiles in CD version , e.g. 3-4 sidewinders for mirages is a bit much, not sure about disc version...
Could be a collision detection problem as well as some sidewinders from 6 o clock fired by enemy planes seem to fly through my cockpit if I do not maneuver
Maybe I will find something comparing TO version 2.3 to pure disk regarding missiles, if its anything in the data files one could probably build a TRE file which only patches those files...
If its really in the exe file I fear one would need a dos debug / disassembler / assembler god, I do not understand anything when using debug version of dosbox yet.