It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Hi,

I'm running Ubuntu 16.10 64-bit, AMD R9 390 with default/open source video drivers. The libz1:i386, libGL1:i386 and libopenal1:i386 packages are installed.

When I run the game from the terminal:

$ ./start.sh
Running SteamWorld Heist
AL lib: (WW) alc_initconfig: Failed to initialize backend "jack"

The result is the same if I cd into 'game' and run the Heist executable directly.

A window seems to be opened, but not visible or focused. When I click on the Steamworld Heist icon in the Unity launcher on the left, the screen goes entirely black and I have to Ctrl+Alt+F1 to get to a terminal, htop to kill the game and Ctrl+Alt+F7 back to the desktop environment.

I'm not sure if the "jack" error is actually the problem. I did search for info on the message and tried installing packages and executing commands but managed to stop all sound working and so I uninstalled the packages I'd installed and did a reinstall of pulseaudio.

Thanks in advance for any pointers.
No posts in this topic were marked as the solution yet. If you can help, add your reply
I second that.

I've found that if you'll run heist from the console you'll get the message about some x86 libraries missing. I've install them and got the game working but all that I get was sounds of a start movie and (I suppose) a bacground music of a main menu but totally black screen and the only thing that can be seen is the pointer.
Same here in Gentoo, built all the 32bit libraries to get it to start, but its just shows a black screen. If I run it via `xinit ./start.sh -- :1` it comes up in a new xserver and shows the intro movie, but the screen resolution is not set correctly.

This is with the modesetting driver and an intel video card.
I had a similar problem on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. When I ran the ./Heist from the command line I got a full black screen and would have to alt+tab away to kill it.

I read somewhere that the game had some problems running in full screen (in Linux? I don't remember) and that instead you should run it in windowed mode. This is apparently stored in a settings.xml file. According to PCGamingWiki (I can't post the link), that should be located in "$XDG_DATA_HOME/SteamWorld Heist/settings.xml" which in Ubuntu translates to "~/.local/share/SteamWorld Heist/settings.xml"

I looked, and while there were control config files there, I didn't have a settings.xml. I was able to make a barebones one configured to run in a window by piecing together snippets online. It now works.

Specifically, I added
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<Settings>
<Setting Key="Screen.Borderless" Value="0"/>
<Setting Key="Screen.WindowSize" Value="1280;720"/> <!-- your resolution -->
<Setting Key="Screen.Fullscreen" Value="0"/>
<Setting Key="Screen.WindowResizable" Value="1"/>
</Settings>

in the new file:
~/.local/share/SteamWorld\ Heist/settings.xml

Hope this helps someone.
The 'run in window mode' solution mentioned here worked for me in ubuntu 17.10
tom.kotter: I had a similar problem on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. When I ran the ./Heist from the command line I got a full black screen and would have to alt+tab away to kill it.

I read somewhere that the game had some problems running in full screen (in Linux? I don't remember) and that instead you should run it in windowed mode. This is apparently stored in a settings.xml file. According to PCGamingWiki (I can't post the link), that should be located in "$XDG_DATA_HOME/SteamWorld Heist/settings.xml" which in Ubuntu translates to "~/.local/share/SteamWorld Heist/settings.xml"

I looked, and while there were control config files there, I didn't have a settings.xml. I was able to make a barebones one configured to run in a window by piecing together snippets online. It now works.

Specifically, I added
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<Settings>
<Setting Key="Screen.Borderless" Value="0"/>
<Setting Key="Screen.WindowSize" Value="1280;720"/> <!-- your resolution -->
<Setting Key="Screen.Fullscreen" Value="0"/>
<Setting Key="Screen.WindowResizable" Value="1"/>
</Settings>

in the new file:
~/.local/share/SteamWorld\ Heist/settings.xml

Hope this helps someone.
thanks, whis works on ubuntu 18 too