It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

rkinkjr: I understand if we can't but any chance we can play a demo before Easter? Just curious.
That's next week?
We would like to have it in a more playable state. Currently you can just basically jump into one mission on a Y-wing, play it, and it restarts.
Missile and torpedo firing AI is being developed. We are getting a new Y-wing cockpit that needs texturing (the geometry is already done) and install the instruments on. Wingmen orders are not yet implemented. Briefings aren't yet implemented either. (Neither the rest of the concourse, by the way). We need to get the new Imperial Star Destroyer model finished and in place for some of the Y-wing historical missions.

Can you fly around, shoot at stuff, be shot at, and complete the missions? Yes.
The question is, how many details that aren't yet implemented can we get ready before a demo?
Releasing something in the current pre-alpha status could be counterproductive. A bad initial impression can kill interest for the game, don't you think?

At the same time I would like to get some external testing done, especially to get an idea of the performance in a wider spectrum of computers, and what game controllers and joysticks does the InputManager really support. And that we can only do by releasing something.
Ah kk, no worries. Hope everything goes well.
"We need to get the new Imperial Star Destroyer model finished and in place for some of the Y-wing historical missions.
"

I'm as eager as anyone to see this monster finished. :) Work continues, see attached - I'm about ready to call the engine section done.
Attachments:
isd_rear.jpg (118 Kb)
stonky: "We need to get the new Imperial Star Destroyer model finished and in place for some of the Y-wing historical missions.
"

I'm as eager as anyone to see this monster finished. :) Work continues, see attached - I'm about ready to call the engine section done.
I keep thinking in the back of my mind: "That's way too detailed to work in-game!" Then I remember I live in 2017, not 1997...
I stumbled upon this thread a couple of weeks ago.

Great work by everyone involved!

X-Wing was one of the first games I bought once I got a computer. It's been far too long since Lucasarts updated these games.

It was through reading this thread that I learned about TrackIR - I ordered it from NaturalPoint and received it two days later. It worked pretty much right out of the box with Flight Simulator X and Orbiter. Still haven't tried Beyond the Red Line or Diaspora yet.

I have some 3d modelling skills. Let me know if I can be of any help.
stonky: "We need to get the new Imperial Star Destroyer model finished and in place for some of the Y-wing historical missions.
"

JKing: I keep thinking in the back of my mind: "That's way too detailed to work in-game!" Then I remember I live in 2017, not 1997...
I'm cautiously optimistic. :)
Hope u all have a good Easter. If possible, would like to see another video? I like watching them, but if not no worries
I am impressed by the steady development of XWVM!

I need to congratulate once again Azrapse for starting a project that many would have considered impossible to tackle by a small bunch of fans.

The Imperial Star Destroyer is a gem, by the way. Great job, stonky!

And of course, happy Easter!
Thank you! I'm uv'ing it now, I should have more to show shortly.
rkinkjr: Hope u all have a good Easter. If possible, would like to see another video? I like watching them, but if not no worries
Soon! :)
I promise a video, and time flies without me making a video. :( Sorry for that broken promise.
We are working a lot on the demo, fixing, tweaking and improving everything. Filling up the blanks (that are lots of them everywhere).
Whenever I think I will have time to make a video, I get sidetracked with some bugfixes, some new user interface panel, or some new cool special effect the team is testing.
I added a mission selection screen where you can browse thru all the official campaigns, missions and their summaries (it uses your installation resources, so if you have a localized version, it will be localized in XWVM). You can use this screen to play any of the 6 Y-wing Historical missions (instead of just the last one).

While the team is working on modelling ships, the better cockpit, optimizing textures and atlases, or just making everything look better or cooler, I am focusing on the programming.
We are testing the demo with the 6 y-wing missions and tuning the AI to do what it must how it must.
In this respect, we have some balancing issues regarding TIE Bombers and missiles. They seem to be a bit too good at firing them. :D

Out of the gameplay, my biggest worry is controllers and joysticks.
We are of course making use of Unity's input infrastructure. While some joysticks and game controllers are just detected and read perfectly fine, others show an strange constant movement on some axes. It is not dead-zone related.
I foresee this will be the thing that will make most unhappy when we release the demo, since which controller works and which doesn't seems to be totally random.
I have 3 game controllers and 1 joystick.
- An old Logitek Rumblepad 2: Works flawlessly.
- A Steam Controller: Works fine when you configure it right.
- A generic controller that can switch between DirectInput and XInput mode: Works fine in DirectInput mode. Doesn't work in XInput mode.
- A Thrustmaster joystick: Shows a constant strong drift in the main two axes in Unity. It works fine in other games like Elite: Dangerous.

The problem is that there is very little I can do to solve these problems.
XBox controllers are XInput, and XInput doesn't seem to be very well supported by Unity, if at all.
The problem with the constantly drifting joystick is even more puzzling.

Anyone has any clue about this?
Regarding joysticks:

Saitek ST290 Pro: Works fine except for throttle control not stopping the Y-Wing completely and the roll twist being reversed

Thrustmaster Dual Trigger 2 in 1 Rumble Force: Buttons work, but Y-Wing spins out of control

SPEEDLINK Competition Pro (basically a C64 joystick with a USB-plug): Works fine, but I wouldn't recommend it for games like X-Wing since you can't steer your craft precisely
FekLeyrTarg: Regarding joysticks:

Saitek ST290 Pro: Works fine except for throttle control not stopping the Y-Wing completely and the roll twist being reversed
I had a similar issue with its little brother ST200 in several games, sometimes the throttle wheel gets a bit skewed (wear and tear? Factory defect?) so it doesn't really get to zero, similar problem with a budget Microsoft Sidewinder (I think it was the very last model, a cheaper version of the more famous models, Speedlink nowadays makes a joystick that seems to be made with the same tooling), recalibrating helped for a little while for both then the problem started again.
It didn't seem to happen with all games IIRC though, perhaps Unity has some quirks in reading axis values?
Post edited April 24, 2017 by Det_Bullock
Hey guys, take your time with the video. I think you guys are doing a tremendous job, and can not wait to play.

Oh forgot to mention. Was wondering with some of the rebel transports would you be able to replace the boxy looking ones with the ones they used in Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. I always thought those were really cool looking cargo ships and they did a nice job making them in XWA upgrade. I'm sorry I forget the actual name but I think they were called medium transports and had a white coloring. Something like that. Just for future later missions. Again just a suggestion
Post edited April 24, 2017 by rkinkjr
I have custom, selfmade, a very precise joystick, 8 axes, 50 buttons! can test if needed.