It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Azrapse: Welcome!
Internally, XWVM will identify ships not by number but by ID. This ID will be a string. For example, the X-wing will have ID "xwing".
This removes any limitation and incompatibility and makes it future proof.
When reading the original mission files, we translate their format on the fly to our internal one, so it doesn't really matter much to how many different ships the original game was limited to.
We aren't limited by their file format in that sense.

Of course, if we eventually add a Mission Editor to the game, we cannot use the XWI/BRF original file formats, but our own (that will be probably XML or JSON based).

That means that in a possible future, XWVM will be able to read and "play" mission from X-Wing or from TIE Fighter, even when those formats were totally incompatible between each other and ships had different identifiers (for example, the B-wing is ship 18 in X-Wing, but ship 4 in TIE Fighter, and the Advanced TIE existed in X-Wing but not in TIE Fighter).

Apart from this, there are some "world settings" that are different between games, and that could be made also configurable depending on the mission loaded.
For example, laser and ion speeds in X-Wing are much slower than in TIE Fighter. When loading a XWI/BRF mission file, the XWVM engine would load the X-Wing world settings. However, when loading a TIE mission file, it would load the TIE Fighter world settings.
For custom XWVM-made missions, we would either let the creator choose between both (if you have player the Super Mario Maker game in WIi U or 3DS, you wil immediately understand this), or fine tune them to their taste.
Of course there's nothing stopping anyone from using one of the existing x-wing mission editors and making their own custom missions in that format, which could then be imported in XWVM and run without any trouble whatsoever - they'd just be limited to the exact same constraints that the original game had.
countbuggula: Of course there's nothing stopping anyone from using one of the existing x-wing mission editors and making their own custom missions in that format, which could then be imported in XWVM and run without any trouble whatsoever - they'd just be limited to the exact same constraints that the original game had.
Yes. Exaclty.
countbuggula: Of course there's nothing stopping anyone from using one of the existing x-wing mission editors and making their own custom missions in that format, which could then be imported in XWVM and run without any trouble whatsoever - they'd just be limited to the exact same constraints that the original game had.
Azrapse: Yes. Exaclty.
First posts on these forums hehe while looking for any attempts at improving music on TIE 98, I found this awesome project. Let me tell you I used to create a lot of custom missions and campaigns on XvT and XWA. With the new movies and the new EU and the whole large amount of custom OPTs we can find in XWAUP, DSUCP and others, I'm more than inspired on writing a follow up of Aftermath events...but actually make it a playable campaign. I was working on X Wing Alliance but after reading this, I'd be more than glad to collaborate with you guys.

tl:dr: I'd like to volunteer as to write up a pre TFA campaign for your new remake of the xw series. An imperial one tho.
Post edited February 18, 2017 by AA15832636
Azrapse: Yes. Exaclty.
AA15832636: First posts on these forums hehe while looking for any attempts at improving music on TIE 98, I found this awesome project. Let me tell you I used to create a lot of custom missions and campaigns on XvT and XWA. With the new movies and the new EU and the whole large amount of custom OPTs we can find in XWAUP, DSUCP and others, I'm more than inspired on writing a follow up of Aftermath events...but actually make it a playable campaign. I was working on X Wing Alliance but after reading this, I'd be more than glad to collaborate with you guys.

tl:dr: I'd like to volunteer as to write up a pre TFA campaign for your new remake of the xw series. An imperial one tho.
Hi. Welcome.
If you are willing to create an Aftermath era campaign, perhaps the "X-Wing" era isn't the most appropriate one. Hopefully, we will succeed with this mod and will slowly grow it to encompass TIE Fighter and perhaps other games in the series. By then, you will probably have plenty of ships and stuff to create your campaign. But until then, it may take many years, man.
I hope you have the patience to wait. :D
Post edited February 18, 2017 by Azrapse
AA15832636: First posts on these forums hehe while looking for any attempts at improving music on TIE 98, I found this awesome project. Let me tell you I used to create a lot of custom missions and campaigns on XvT and XWA. With the new movies and the new EU and the whole large amount of custom OPTs we can find in XWAUP, DSUCP and others, I'm more than inspired on writing a follow up of Aftermath events...but actually make it a playable campaign. I was working on X Wing Alliance but after reading this, I'd be more than glad to collaborate with you guys.

Azrapse: Hi. Welcome.
If you are willing to create an Aftermath era campaign, perhaps the "X-Wing" era isn't the most appropriate one. Hopefully, we will succeed with this mod and will slowly grow it to encompass TIE Fighter and perhaps other games in the series. By then, you will probably have plenty of ships and stuff to create your campaign. But until then, it may take many years, man.
A Rogue One inspired campaign might work perfectly though! I wonder how long until someone builds a Battle of Scariff mission...

On second thought there's a bunch of ships that X-Wing lacks that'd be rather important. Might have to wait, after all.
countbuggula: A Rogue One inspired campaign might work perfectly though! I wonder how long until someone builds a Battle of Scariff mission...

On second thought there's a bunch of ships that X-Wing lacks that'd be rather important. Might have to wait, after all.
I had the thought of building a Rebels/Rogue One themed campaign in mind for a while - but has been mentioned, it's not really too feasible to proceed until the relevant ship sets are available. I have been sketching down ideas though, so once development reaches a particular point I would be hoping to help contribute in some way to building out areas of the game to support features that such a campaign would require.

In the meantime, playing through the original campaign for the mission dialogue side-project has given me a whole new appreciation for the original game - while it's basically impossible to reconcile to the Disney canon, it's actually a pretty well thought out alt-history version of roughly the same period of SW lore - a 'what if' version of Rogue One, as it were.

While there are some instances in the original campaign where a mission seems a bit contrived or isolated from the rest, on the whole, there is a logical narrative that threads the missions together, which has made the task of writing dialogue to bind them together a bit more tightly, that bit easier.

Allow me to explain.

While I understand X-W and TIE are pre-Endor, I'm willing to use the game engine to work on a post Endor story with Aftermath as a context of sorts.

I've played TIE since 1995, went to XvT on '98, had my hands on XWA on 99 where I went to MSN Gaming Zone and since then played online, learned how to add ships, missions, etc even made a few OPTs on my own and won a few tournaments (WoW) back then so I'm quite familiar with TIE, XvT, BoP and XWA.

The thing about placing a story on the Aftermath era is you might not need much more than the default ships XW or TIE have. It is a limited series of ships indeed but if the story is good enough, players won't even notice it. I'm no programmer and I've been already waiting decades now (99-2017) for a remake and I know I'm not the only one. You could redo XW, fine, and I'm actually scripting my work on XWA using Darksaber's UCP and AlliED's latest versions but I believe we might have more audience working together so...

I'm using DSUCP as it brings new life to XWA but I'll bring your attention guys to this: the BoP campaign just added the SSD and B-W, just two OPTs were added and then two whole campaigns were made. What I do have in mind is what'd happen if we take one of those Imperial fleets leaving the Empire to the outer rims. Unlike the BoP campaign where it was just an expeditionary force seeking to supress a rag-tag band of rebels and pirates, It'd be a whole fleet representing a remnant of the Empire as a civilization, seeking to survive on its own with no reinforcements against the outer rim (from pirates, to rebel forces up to other imperialist factions and neutral systems, basically anything). At first it wouldn't hurt to use whatever ships we already have. With time (years if needed), new ships can be created or converted form other models. We can do what the flight sims does best: keep people interested by forcing them to make tactical decisions , make them develop and rely on their skills and write up a good script. The story of Harkov for example was made with only the TIE Avenger as a new ship.

This context on the post-Endor era allows a great freedom for story development and the story itself at first can be adapted to whatever the game can do and evolve along with it.

Let's do this: I'll finish my job and post it. You then decide if you'd like your new remake having more than the default stories and give people something more.
Post edited February 27, 2017 by AA15832636
countbuggula: A Rogue One inspired campaign might work perfectly though! I wonder how long until someone builds a Battle of Scariff mission...

scotsdezmond: I had the thought of building a Rebels/Rogue One themed campaign in mind for a while - but has been mentioned, it's not really too feasible to proceed until the relevant ship sets are available. I have been sketching down ideas though, so once development reaches a particular point I would be hoping to help contribute in some way to building out areas of the game to support features that such a campaign would require.

In the meantime, playing through the original campaign for the mission dialogue side-project has given me a whole new appreciation for the original game - while it's basically impossible to reconcile to the Disney canon, it's actually a pretty well thought out alt-history version of roughly the same period of SW lore - a 'what if' version of Rogue One, as it were.

While there are some instances in the original campaign where a mission seems a bit contrived or isolated from the rest, on the whole, there is a logical narrative that threads the missions together, which has made the task of writing dialogue to bind them together a bit more tightly, that bit easier.
Or you could work on a campaign with missions leading up to R1 events or indirectly related to them i.e. TIE Fighter story ended on a battle parallel to Endor. It didn't cross paths with the canon yet it was another climatic battle where Zaarin met his end at the hands of Thrawn and it explains why Thrawn wasn't on Endor. You could have a mission where you prevent imperials from reinforcing the two ISDs , a mission to defend the fleet as it musters before the attack, a mission to be a decoy and keep the Imperials away from the rebel fleet gathering and a mission to kill scouts as to remain undetected for example. A small campaign but it could give more context to R1 rebel engagements - just a suggestion.
Detail work on the ISD continues, along with some comparison pics with the XWing for scale reference.
Attachments:
img_2021.jpg (130 Kb)
img_2022.jpg (115 Kb)
img_2023.jpg (180 Kb)
img_2024.jpg (62 Kb)
stonky: Detail work on the ISD continues, along with some comparison pics with the XWing for scale reference.
Fantastic work! I'm partial to our own ISD model for obvious reasons, but that's shaping up really nicely! Gorgeous model.
stonky: Detail work on the ISD continues, along with some comparison pics with the XWing for scale reference.
it looks very cool! pack two for me!))
Is that really the scale? It never quite looks that big from the cockpit.Maybe with more detail there will be a greater sense of speed and that will help.
JKing: Is that really the scale? It never quite looks that big from the cockpit.Maybe with more detail there will be a greater sense of speed and that will help.
I think that is the cause.
I the originals, the detail was really low, and it looked like you were just flying slower than you actually were.
Even in the later games, with texturing, you usually keep yourself far from the ISD's surface and cannons, so you don't get to feel the speed, and the scale of that thing.
^Agreed. When I first put the X-Wing beside the ISD I thought that the X-Wing was too small in comparison too and that my math was wrong so I double and triple checked it and it seems to check out. I think that part of the issue is that the ISD tends to be underscaled in other games (BF, for example). I've done some more detail work on the rear, see attached (still work to do):
Attachments:
img_0495.jpg (208 Kb)
The current state of the in-flight music:
https://soundcloud.com/laserschwert/x-wing-imuse-mix