It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Another ISD update.
Attachments:
img_2486.jpg (77 Kb)
stonky: Thanks! We'll see, I guess it's a matter of who gets to it first - I know that the X-Wing is next on my plate after the ISD.
Looking forward to seeing the x wing. Any Idea if they are redoing the cockpit like they did to the Y wing?
Yes, from scratch. My intention is to make nods to the original game layout with the live action filming cockpit set aesthetic.
Star Destroyer is looking very nice in game. I was doing a mission involving the ISD Immortal, and I forgot not to attack it. Unless you are up for a challenge. I got past the first wave of bombers but I forgot about Iota group. I quit the mission when I saw them head out of hanger bay. Didn't feel like fighting threw all of that. There's another ISD not to attack if I remember called Badi Dea. I love the play of the name. I forget what mission it's in. It launches waves of bombers and I think TIE advanced too.
Can anyone recommend a good fairly inexpensive joystick around 50 bucks for this game? I have a Logitech Attack 3 joystick which isn't bad but would like to see if there's anything else better for this.
Post edited March 17, 2018 by rkinkjr
rkinkjr: Star Destroyer is looking very nice in game. I was doing a mission involving the ISD Immortal, and I forgot not to attack it. Unless you are up for a challenge. I got past the first wave of bombers but I forgot about Iota group. I quit the mission when I saw them head out of hanger bay. Didn't feel like fighting threw all of that. There's another ISD not to attack if I remember called Badi Dea. I love the play of the name. I forget what mission it's in. It launches waves of bombers and I think TIE advanced too.
Can anyone recommend a good fairly inexpensive joystick around 50 bucks for this game? I have a Logitech Attack 3 joystick which isn't bad but would like to see if there's anything else better for this.
This one:
https://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster-2960773-T16000M-Joystick-Black/dp/B01MQEDEEW/ref=pd_sbs_147_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01MQEDEEW&pd_rd_r=HABD8ECYPWJ2CZ1BRTPT&pd_rd_w=xqyxR&pd_rd_wg=l4PxD&psc=1&refRID=HABD8ECYPWJ2CZ1BRTPT

All the alternatives are either very similar to the one you already have, aren't widely available or cost more.
rkinkjr: Star Destroyer is looking very nice in game. I was doing a mission involving the ISD Immortal, and I forgot not to attack it. Unless you are up for a challenge. I got past the first wave of bombers but I forgot about Iota group. I quit the mission when I saw them head out of hanger bay. Didn't feel like fighting threw all of that. There's another ISD not to attack if I remember called Badi Dea. I love the play of the name. I forget what mission it's in. It launches waves of bombers and I think TIE advanced too.
Det_Bullock: This one:
https://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster-2960773-T16000M-Joystick-Black/dp/B01MQEDEEW/ref=pd_sbs_147_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01MQEDEEW&pd_rd_r=HABD8ECYPWJ2CZ1BRTPT&pd_rd_w=xqyxR&pd_rd_wg=l4PxD&psc=1&refRID=HABD8ECYPWJ2CZ1BRTPT

All the alternatives are either very similar to the one you already have, aren't widely available or cost more.
Thanks for the info @Det_Bullock. I may wait then and spend a little extra when X Wing is completed and just stick with the one I have for now.
This document lists the status of all the assets we need to support X-Wing.
Yellow are the ones blocking the release of the demo with the Y-Wing Historical Missions.
Hello... Just registered :)

First to say, I've noticed XWVM project a few months ago. Since I've played X-Wing and, especially, TIE Fighter a lot and I think I can name myself merely competent (:)) in those games, I've got interested for sure :)

Hope developers visits this forum. As might be many does, I want to post some suggestions and hope they might be of some use.

Before telling something like "guys, change that, please" I think it would be right to say something good about:
1) First thing I've noticed when I was looking videos is the merely simple, but very gallant solution about "schematics blueprint view" on the HUD - turning model like in TIE Fighter and the newer games in the series, but looking in the X-Wing style at the same time. This thing might be a small thing, but for me it says a lot about the way developers try to do the game. As I said to myself: "Theese guys really go in the right direction"
2) Music... No... MUSIC! Yeah, X-Wing's music is WAY inferior to the TIE Fighter's one - I think the TIE Fighter's music is one of the best of the computer games at all - but it is rendered really the way that should sound. I can't tell it could be done better. There is some "nerous" trumpet sounding notes in all the tracks, but they are way the same in the original MIDI. And yes, I shall await to hear the TIE Fighter's music (a gameplay one, not the concourse) in the future. Ang again: I'm sure I can judge this since I've tried to recreate the proper sound of that music myself and made a Sound Font especally for TIE Fighter about 20 yeas ago (oh my ))) ). There are some imperfections caused by synthesizer technology itself, but this rendering IS GOOD.
3) I see that theese new cockpits are 3D, but they really try to represent the original X-Wing/XWing vs TIE Fighter cockpits, those are, from my point of view, are the best from the all the space simulators. I'm sure it was a right solution espacially compared to that, what Totally Games made to the cockpits in XWA.

After that, I want to make some suggestions, again - hope someone from developers team would read those. Theese are assorted ones - some are really simple quirks or a small changes, some are really hard to develope, but they all are just information, hope it can help developers in making a best possible result. So the things I've noticed are:
1) A simple one - lensflare. There are lensflare rings from the sun. To be correct, theese rings exist only for camera view, that means they must not be seen from the cockpit view since we "look ourselves" from there, by can be available from the outer view. Yes, there are some "lensflare" stuff for the eye itself, but it is a bit different - there are no rings at all, you know
2) That newly developed headshake. Please note, that making that shake like in some old space sims you might get a annoying problem - either making some vertigo effect on the gamer, or just make instruments a bit unreadable most of the time, when combat occurs. I'll explain... As far as I remember, in most space sims we have few "decorative" rails of "hardware" cockpit and a lot of "holographic" instruments. As you head shakes, theese rails go all the ways, but the instruments keep stable (at least I remember it this way), so they keeps readable regardless of the maneuvers. Yes, testers will tell does it ruin playability or not and does it make any vertigo effect that would need to make that headshake little to none or not. But just to point out.
3) Again a small thing. The one considering music. Looking videos, I've noticed that music "lost wingman" played all the time any Alliance ship is destroyed - I suggest to change it to original XWing style when it is played only when the wingman is shot down - too many friendly ships are shot down during the mission, so that might get annoying.
4) Glares from the ovebright elements are too fat - too much glow occurs, looks... hmm... cheap.
5) The one big. From what I see from the picture, you work with gamma 1.0 model. At least it looks so from the typical problem with all the scape sims - "everything is black except for some parts of the cockpit, target frame, engine exhausts and some parts of the capital ships". Look all the old space sims made with true 3D and a lighting model without too much ambient. Most of the problem is the gamma 1.0 lighting model. You might be aware, so I won't make this already huge post even larger - if any explanations are needed, I'll make them. I've attached two pictures from Youtube video of XWVM. One is the original one as it is, second one with a simulation of gamma 2.2 lighting. It's only a simulation, so the actual render would look different, but it gives an idea.

Yeah, changing gamma 1.0 to 2.2 in the render - it's a pain, sure it is, but the result worth it. As you can see, TIE Interceptor fades to black no more - there is no additional exposure applied, it is only a gamma curve. As far as I know, it can be made via a shader with a lighing channel output and applying a gamma curve to it and then applying the result on the rendered color picture.
6) Laser beams. They look uniform color with a glow. Looks a bit insufficient compared to XWT for example. Please, make a new beam models.
7) Target frame. It's too bright. Problem is entirely aesthetical. You can see the frame, but the actual target "beneath" dissapears - it's too dark compared to the target frame. I reccomend to try to make it not the white bright, so it would not overwhelm the actual space ship "picture". Or that makes "game of gunsight chasing the white frame" effect. This one is a bit subjective, but I thought I shoud point out.
8) Hey... Who recorded your first videos?! - looking for a A-Wing (or Y-Wing, forgot) that tries to chase a neutral Y-Wing for the 10 or more (!) minutes, it's a horror movie :D)). Though the last one with headshake looks better - shooting looks OK :)

I'm unsure, maybe I'll be able to provide some actual help with the project (I'm a long time 3dsmax user, though can't name myself a real professional), but for now I'm trying to finnish Dune 2 Harvester model :)

PS: Sorry for my english
Attachments:
Harh1981: 1) A simple one - lensflare. There are lensflare rings from the sun. To be correct, theese rings exist only for camera view, that means they must not be seen from the cockpit view since we "look ourselves" from there, by can be available from the outer view. Yes, there are some "lensflare" stuff for the eye itself, but it is a bit different - there are no rings at all, you know
Thanks!
I thought I was the only guy in the world that doesn't get why we need to replicate camera defects to make things look good.
Most post processing goodies nowadays are about precisely that. Vignette (dirty lens?), flare (lens defect), grain (film defect), motion blur (eyesight defect), etc. :D But that is what the kids want today.
In any case, rest assured I will make it optional, like every other postproc effect.

2) That newly developed headshake. Please note, that making that shake like in some old space sims you might get a annoying problem - either making some vertigo effect on the gamer, or just make instruments a bit unreadable most of the time, when combat occurs. I'll explain... As far as I remember, in most space sims we have few "decorative" rails of "hardware" cockpit and a lot of "holographic" instruments. As you head shakes, theese rails go all the ways, but the instruments keep stable (at least I remember it this way), so they keeps readable regardless of the maneuvers. Yes, testers will tell does it ruin playability or not and does it make any vertigo effect that would need to make that headshake little to none or not. But just to point out.
Same situation. Some people feel the game to be too stiff when there is no headbobbing.
We added that very recently, but it's totally optional and you can control how strong or weak it is, or disable it totally.

3) Again a small thing. The one considering music. Looking videos, I've noticed that music "lost wingman" played all the time any Alliance ship is destroyed - I suggest to change it to original XWing style when it is played only when the wingman is shot down - too many friendly ships are shot down during the mission, so that might get annoying.
That I changed it myself because it always felt to me a bit weird that there is no dramatic reaction to a friendly ship dying. Okay, they aren't in your flight group, but they were friends nonetheless, you cold hearted psycho! :D
Also, sometimes the player is placed on a flight group but with the same name as ships on another flight group. So when those ships die, the music wouldn't play.
(For example, Y-Wing Historical Mission 6. Red 1 and 2 are a flight group, and the player, Red 3 is in another flightgroup).

4) Glares from the ovebright elements are too fat - too much glow occurs, looks... hmm... cheap.
5) The one big. From what I see from the picture, you work with gamma 1.0 model. At least it looks so from the typical problem with all the scape sims - "everything is black except for some parts of the cockpit, target frame, engine exhausts and some parts of the capital ships". Look all the old space sims made with true 3D and a lighting model without too much ambient. Most of the problem is the gamma 1.0 lighting model. You might be aware, so I won't make this already huge post even larger - if any explanations are needed, I'll make them. I've attached two pictures from Youtube video of XWVM. One is the original one as it is, second one with a simulation of gamma 2.2 lighting. It's only a simulation, so the actual render would look different, but it gives an idea.

Yeah, changing gamma 1.0 to 2.2 in the render - it's a pain, sure it is, but the result worth it. As you can see, TIE Interceptor fades to black no more - there is no additional exposure applied, it is only a gamma curve. As far as I know, it can be made via a shader with a lighing channel output and applying a gamma curve to it and then applying the result on the rendered color picture.
6) Laser beams. They look uniform color with a glow. Looks a bit insufficient compared to XWT for example. Please, make a new beam models.
7) Target frame. It's too bright. Problem is entirely aesthetical. You can see the frame, but the actual target "beneath" dissapears - it's too dark compared to the target frame. I reccomend to try to make it not the white bright, so it would not overwhelm the actual space ship "picture". Or that makes "game of gunsight chasing the white frame" effect. This one is a bit subjective, but I thought I shoud point out.
8) Hey... Who recorded your first videos?! - looking for a A-Wing (or Y-Wing, forgot) that tries to chase a neutral Y-Wing for the 10 or more (!) minutes, it's a horror movie :D)). Though the last one with headshake looks better - shooting looks OK :)
I thank you for your insight with the gamma, but I need to warn you that the videos I think you have been watching (or atleast those that you took screenshots of) weren't recorded by us, but a tester in the tester group.
He famously enabled some extreme external shaders (with a program called ReShader or something) that makes everything look extra bright and extra shiny, with oversaturated colors, and exaggerated blooms). That is not our fault.
Nevertheless, I will pass on your Gamma suggestions.

I'm unsure, maybe I'll be able to provide some actual help with the project (I'm a long time 3dsmax user, though can't name myself a real professional), but for now I'm trying to finnish Dune 2 Harvester model :)
Thanks for offering. Just follow the link on the message that I posted just before yours, if you want to have a look at what we need. :)
Since I'm getting "Please wait. Processing..." when trying to post, I'll try to post in halves...
Thanks!
I thought I was the only guy in the world that doesn't get why we need to replicate camera defects to make things look good.
Most post processing goodies nowadays are about precisely that. Vignette (dirty lens?), flare (lens defect), grain (film defect), motion blur (eyesight defect), etc. :D But that is what the kids want today.
In any case, rest assured I will make it optional, like every other postproc effect.
I only point out that it's a different thing - in-cockpit view and the outer camera in it's meaning.

Yes, it is a bit too much "defects" are being included in the common AA games' picture to make it look more tasty. It is a sodium glutamate for the image :) But about some slight defects - just to know the proper limits.
That I changed it myself because it always felt to me a bit weird that there is no dramatic reaction to a friendly ship dying. Okay, they aren't in your flight group, but they were friends nonetheless, you cold hearted psycho! :D
Hey! Why don't you play "enemy ship destroyed" tune after every time when enemy ship is destroyed? XD I'm psycho, but not cold hearted - we should rejoice after the death of each of our enemies, instead of only feeleng a grieve loss when losing... hey, what was his name, I didn't ask... ))) That's the same reason - it might get a bit annoying after a long play - AFAIR there is only onle audio file for it, it will also "help" it. But yes, it's your desision anyway, mine is to tell )
Yes, this way I've got it ) Second part - I dont understand the problem since this post was smaller than first one...
]He famously enabled some extreme external shaders (with a program called ReShader or something) that makes everything look extra bright and extra shiny, with oversaturated colors, and exaggerated blooms). That is not our fault.
Nevertheless, I will pass on your Gamma suggestions.
I see... Checked few other videos - it's hard to tell are the "reshaded" or not, but it looks gamma is really 1.0. Only thing I wanted to point out there is it's a universal thing - gamma should be 2.2 in 3D games from the beginning in mid 90s, developers (looks not only game developers, but also 3D accelerators and even makers of Photoshop by that time, though I'm unsure about it) just didn't know about monitor brightness curve. I mean it's not a style or a personal taste.
Thanks for offering. Just follow the link on the message that I posted just before yours, if you want to have a look at what we need. :)
Hmm...May I ask you to provide me a "base" info for the Transport (can't say for sure, but I might be able to find some time) - it's a perfect ship to train on. I can't really promise the result, but I want to try. Base info I mean - something like original and/or XWA upgrade models with textures in something like FBX or so (I don't have any converters for such stuff and it might be a problem to find, you might have it). Just to have some reference info. I don't ask you to add me in the list - if there will be a good enough result, I'll post it here for you to judge is it interesting or not.
Post edited March 19, 2018 by Harh1981
rkinkjr: Can anyone recommend a good fairly inexpensive joystick around 50 bucks for this game? I have a Logitech Attack 3 joystick which isn't bad but would like to see if there's anything else better for this.
Maybe this advice will look a bit strange and thus useless, but from my own expirience I would reccomend to look this one on eBay:
[url=https://www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-SideWinder-Force-Feedback-2-656-00105-Joysticks/253497561666?epid=140891473&hash=item3b05a1d242:g:Td0AAOSwTmJarO6u]https://www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-SideWinder-Force-Feedback-2-656-00105-Joysticks/253497561666?epid=140891473&hash=item3b05a1d242:g:Td0AAOSwTmJarO6u[/url]
It has very long lasting mechanics that almost no joysticks on the market can boast and a force feedback as a freebee. It is ergonomically suited from small to medium size hand.
Is headtracking (TrackIR/Freetrack) and VR support in the dev plan?
MantaAvoid: Is headtracking (TrackIR/Freetrack) and VR support in the dev plan?
It supports TrackIR, I believe.
MantaAvoid: Is headtracking (TrackIR/Freetrack) and VR support in the dev plan?
rkinkjr: It supports TrackIR, I believe.
Yes, it does. :)
https://youtu.be/5UOGaDhnAhM
rkinkjr: It supports TrackIR, I believe.
FekLeyrTarg: Yes, it does. :)
https://youtu.be/5UOGaDhnAhM
I had to ask twice to be sure someone answered - thanks so much!