It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Hi there.

I just installed X-Wing 98 edition and found out that there is no music and some missing sound effects during battle. E.g. the beeping during missile locking and also the continous beep after successful locking is missing.
I added the ddraw dll and cfg from Jeremy Ansel to enable 3D but this is not affecting the sound problem.

Does someone knows a solution for my problem?
No posts in this topic were marked as the solution yet. If you can help, add your reply
Did you try this already?

https://www.gog.com/forum/star_wars_xwing_and_tie_fighter_series/xwing_98_music
Thank you. I tried it and now i have music during flight. But still i think sound effects are missing. I am not certain. Does X-Wing has this locking sound? It has been a long time since i played X-Wing. Also i think these Tie-fly-by sounds are missing too.
Perhaps i should install X-Wing cd edition too which i played back then and check.

Edit :Ok, I tested X-Wing CD 1995. And I found some differences. X-Wing CD 95 has missile lock sounds, Tie-fly-by sounds and music in the concourse. All this is missing in X-Wing 1998 (and maybe even more).
Post edited October 13, 2016 by Insekt
I think the concourse in X-Wing 1998 never had music. No idea about the missile lock sounds, I only noticed they are missing after you created this thread. Tie Fighter 98 has the same music issue but the lock sounds work just fine.
Insekt: Edit :Ok, I tested X-Wing CD 1995. And I found some differences. X-Wing CD 95 has missile lock sounds, Tie-fly-by sounds and music in the concourse. All this is missing in X-Wing 1998 (and maybe even more).
Most fans dislike the 1998 versions for reasons like this. Music was changed a lot; the originals had reactive music that responded to what was happening in the battle (new ships arriving, etc.), but the 1998 versions have CD music that simply plays tracks.

Not sure if your sound effect issues are inherent to the 1998 version or if there's some other problem. But you can read a lengthy discussion of the changes made to the 1998 version of TIE Fighter here, I assume similar changes were made to X-Wing:

http://tempestkappa.isdchallenge.org/tf_versions.htm

EDIT: Note that in that link, TIE-CD refers to the 1995 Collector's CD-ROM, and TIE-95 refers to the 1998 version (called TIE-95 because it ran under Windows 95, not DOS).
Post edited October 14, 2016 by Waltorious
So this guy is not amused. But I prefer the better graphics.

Teleguy do you have a solution applicable to Tie-Fighter 1998? Because there is no sound too.
Here you are:

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=04771470645122811427
Insekt: So this guy is not amused. But I prefer the better graphics.
That's totally fine! I wasn't trying to judge, I was just pointing out that there are known issues with the music in the 1998 version. It sounds like the sound effect problems you're having may actually be bugs and that teleguy is helping you fix them, however, so that's good. I hope you are able to get sounds working properly.
The fix for Tie-Fighter 1998 is working too. Thanks.
But currently I am playing X-Wing 1998 and unfortunately the music stops playing after some minutes. I know there is a similar bug in X-Wing Alliance too. The reason in XWA are dual core cpus. I used a tiny program to pin XWA to one core to avoid this. I do not know whether it is the some problem here.
Insekt: The fix for Tie-Fighter 1998 is working too. Thanks.
Glad you got it working!
Insekt: But currently I am playing X-Wing 1998 and unfortunately the music stops playing after some minutes. I know there is a similar bug in X-Wing Alliance too. The reason in XWA are dual core cpus. I used a tiny program to pin XWA to one core to avoid this. I do not know whether it is the some problem here.
It wouldn't surprise me if it's the same dual-core problem. If it is, you should be able to fix it using the same program you used for XWA. Give it a shot and see if it works.
But currently I am playing X-Wing 1998 and unfortunately the music stops playing after some minutes. I know there is a similar bug in X-Wing Alliance too. The reason in XWA are dual core cpus. I used a tiny program to pin XWA to one core to avoid this. I do not know whether it is the some problem here.
That's probably not it. The GOG version should already be limited to a single core.
teleguy: That's probably not it. The GOG version should already be limited to a single core.
I know with some other games (e.g. Betrayal at Krondor), when they updated to CD music instead of MIDI music, the tracks would no longer loop. Could that be the issue here?

My vague memory is that music looped OK in X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter, though, so I'm not sure why it wouldn't do so here.
This should fix the issue with the music stopping/not looping:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wjj50h7v1cin6vz/X-Wing_TieMusicFix.zip?dl=0
teleguy: This should fix the issue with the music stopping/not looping:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wjj50h7v1cin6vz/X-Wing_TieMusicFix.zip?dl=0
Sorry to rez this, this is just to thank you very much Teleguy, your fix works like a charm in 2020 and the music can be heard ingame!
May the force be with you.