It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Sorry I had to withdraw the Patch as it undid everything GOG.com applied to the xwingallinace.exe, meaning it removed check CD and playing briefing voices from the HD instead of the CD
Post edited January 24, 2015 by TonyDS
The post marked as solution to the OP's question has been heavily edited to remove some false information. Sorry guys, but the renderer is NOT related to the resolution lock of 800 x 600! XWA Hacker can still be used change the resolution though. Here's the updated post.
TonyDS: Sorry I had to withdraw the Patch as it undid everything GOG.com applied to the xwingallinace.exe, meaning it removed check CD and playing briefing voices from the HD instead of the CD
Any chance to see a fix just removing the undo the changes from the force800mode.bat? And thanks again for your and JeremyaFr's hard work! Another big "thank you" goes to the rest of the XWAU Project team!
Edit: Never mind, didn't even notice the noforce800mode.bat from XWA Hacker...
Post edited January 24, 2015 by ShadowOwl
Updated my post once again, included information on how to unlock the resolution.
If you think that info will be helpful to a lot of people, you should consider posting it in a separate thread and suggesting a mod/"bluetext" sticky it to the top of the page.
novafire08: snip
ShadowOwl: ABOUT THE CUSTOM RENDERER:
Also provided is a new renderer by JeremyaFr to fix several problems. This new renderer is being discussed in the forums of the XWA Upgrade project. The ddraw.cfg in the XWA root folder allows you to change some settings such as Antialiasing and Anisotropic Filtering (which are enabled by default). If you remove the files of the renderer from the XWA root folder (ddraw.cfg and ddraw.dll) you can use original rendering method. Try this at your own risk.
So, new renderer brings some new graphical options? Were Multi-Sampling Antialiasing and Anisotropic Filtering present in the original relese?
As I said before deleting ddraw.dll couses problems on my hardware and I'd like to play XWA as vanila as posible so I will have to disable those options in ddraw.cfg, right?
pykman: So, new renderer brings some new graphical options? Were Multi-Sampling Antialiasing and Anisotropic Filtering present in the original relese?
As I said before deleting ddraw.dll couses problems on my hardware and I'd like to play XWA as vanila as posible so I will have to disable those options in ddraw.cfg, right?
You can disable these options. Still, there might be other things that have been changed slightly from the original game, it's hard to tell.
pykman: Can someone clear one thing for me:

Using this DirectX 11 renderer in gog.com relese makes game just run on modern hardware, but it's still looks like the original or it is upgraded version with new models and graphic?
The renderer in this version just allows you to run with 3d acceleration enabled (And I think it allows for anisotropic filtering and antialiasing as well) so in a way, it is upgraded but it still mostly looks like the original. if you want an upgraded version download the xwing alliance upgrade project pack from the website and install it and it gives it totally new life.
TonyDS: GOG.com X-Wing Alliance Locked Resolution Fix!
Gydion: GOG.com X-Wing Alliance Locked Resolution Fix!

Let me just take this opportunity to say Thank You! Great work on XWA through the years. I've used your installers with my disc versions, and thanks for posting on GOG.
I really wish this was working, but it seems to have absolutely no effect on my game at all. I've tried the UWAHacker GUI version and the regular version with all the .bat files, and even while following the directions to the letter nothing happens ingame--it patches the Xwingalliance.exe file just fine, but when I run it, it's right back to 800 by 600, both "in the ship" and in actual flight; adjusting the resolution in game also has no effect at all. I'd really rather not have side bars and be staring at a 800 by 600 box inside my widescreen monitor--does anyone have an alternate fix to this problem? I'm running this on Windows 7, 64 bit, with a NVIDIA GTX 760.

Any help would be much appreciated,
Greg
ShadowOwl: Okay, I guess I have found the source of our "problem".

The XWA release of GOG has indeed been locked to a resolution at 800 x 600.

HOW TO UNLOCK THE RESOLUTION:
Get XWA Hacker, read the readme, drop the XWA Hacker files into the game's root folder, run the noforce800mode.bat. You should now be able to use any of the preset resolutions from the options menu.

HOW TO ADD WIDESCREEN RESOLUTIONS:
Run the changeres.bat, select the resolution select one of the preset resolutions and enter your desired vertical and horizontal resolution data. Your new resolution will replace the preset resolution you have just selected, be sure to select that one in the options menu. Keep in mind that the text in the menu won't reflect the changes you have made (e.g. if you have edited 800x600 to 1920x1080 it will still say 800x600 in the options).

ABOUT THE CUSTOM RENDERER:

Also provided is a new renderer by JeremyaFr to fix several problems. This new renderer is being discussed in the forums of the XWA Upgrade project. The ddraw.cfg in the XWA root folder allows you to change some settings such as Antialiasing and Anisotropic Filtering (which are enabled by default). If you remove the files of the renderer from the XWA root folder (ddraw.cfg and ddraw.dll) you can use original rendering method. Try this at your own risk.

If you keep using renderer you should update to the latest version since it fixes the messed up briefings:
http://www.xwaupgrade.com/phpBB3008/viewtopic.php?p=147818#p147818 The GOG installer should be updated to include this small but important fix. EDIT: The installer has been updated!

EDIT 2: Removed the part about removing the renderer to fix the resolution lock, these issues are indeed not related to each other. Sorry guys!

EDIT 3: Added information about how to unlock the resolutions.
Everytime I try to do ANYTHING to Xwingalliance.exe either with XWA hacker or BE Hexeditor it will not launch. Please help
Seems like this doesn't work with Steam updates version?
Infuriation: Seems like this doesn't work with Steam updates version?
I suspect if you install one of the upgrade packs (xwaupgrade, DSUCP) this issue gets fixed along with it.
Otherwise I think most of us don't feel like buying the game twice given the price and thus the tools usually won't work on the Steam version (I don't know if anyone ever found a sane reason why they differ at all).
ShadowOwl: Okay, I guess I have found the source of our "problem".

The XWA release of GOG has indeed been locked to a resolution at 800 x 600.

HOW TO UNLOCK THE RESOLUTION:
Get XWA Hacker, read the readme, drop the XWA Hacker files into the game's root folder, run the noforce800mode.bat. You should now be able to use any of the preset resolutions from the options menu.

HOW TO ADD WIDESCREEN RESOLUTIONS:
Run the changeres.bat, select the resolution select one of the preset resolutions and enter your desired vertical and horizontal resolution data. Your new resolution will replace the preset resolution you have just selected, be sure to select that one in the options menu. Keep in mind that the text in the menu won't reflect the changes you have made (e.g. if you have edited 800x600 to 1920x1080 it will still say 800x600 in the options).

ABOUT THE CUSTOM RENDERER:

If you keep using renderer you should update to the latest version since it fixes the messed up briefings:
http://www.xwaupgrade.com/phpBB3008/viewtopic.php?p=147818#p147818 The GOG installer should be updated to include this small but important fix. EDIT: The installer has been updated!

EDIT 2: Removed the part about removing the renderer to fix the resolution lock, these issues are indeed not related to each other. Sorry guys!

EDIT 3: Added information about how to unlock the resolutions.
Hey I know it's been awhile but with this Virus crap going on I need some decent entertainment. So I have GOG version of this game and am having trouble setting up widescreen. I have extracted the AWX into root directory, but I am not finding this "noforce800mode.bat" file. And how exacltly do you run it? Thx for any help.
mkh321: Hey I know it's been awhile but with this Virus crap going on I need some decent entertainment. So I have GOG version of this game and am having trouble setting up widescreen. I have extracted the AWX into root directory, but I am not finding this "noforce800mode.bat" file. And how exacltly do you run it? Thx for any help.
I have just downloaded the latest non-GUI version of XWA Hacker and noforce800mode.bat ist still there. Maybe you've got the wrong file downloaded? Here's a link: https://sourceforge.net/projects/xwahacker/files/xwahacker-3.2.zip/download
Make sure to read the readme.txt.

Also, you should install the latest version of the DirectX 11 renderer:
https://github.com/JeremyAnsel/xwa_ddraw_d3d11/releases/tag/v1.3.8.1

You can also try one of the mighty upgrade packages by https://xwaupgrade.com/ - they take a lot of work from your hands. But be warned: Installing the ship package messes with the game balance. Some missions will be much harder.

May the force be with you! And feel free to come back if you have more questions.
Post edited April 09, 2020 by ShadowOwl
mkh321: Hey I know it's been awhile but with this Virus crap going on I need some decent entertainment. So I have GOG version of this game and am having trouble setting up widescreen. I have extracted the AWX into root directory, but I am not finding this "noforce800mode.bat" file. And how exacltly do you run it? Thx for any help.
ShadowOwl: I have just downloaded the latest non-GUI version of XWA Hacker and noforce800mode.bat ist still there. Maybe you've got the wrong file downloaded? Here's a link: https://sourceforge.net/projects/xwahacker/files/xwahacker-3.2.zip/download
Make sure to read the readme.txt.

Also, you should install the latest version of the DirectX 11 renderer:
https://github.com/JeremyAnsel/xwa_ddraw_d3d11/releases/tag/v1.3.8.1

You can also try one of the mighty upgrade packages by https://xwaupgrade.com/ - they take a lot of work from your hands. But be warned: Installing the ship package messes with the game balance. Some missions will be much harder.

May the force be with you! And feel free to come back if you have more questions.
Thanks for links. I re-downloaded and used GUI version and got it working. I noticed also, there must be 2 resolution files, because when your not flying in mission it is 800x600, but when you launch into the mission and start flying the resolution is widescreen. I am not sure I will try the mighty pack yet. This game is hard for me already. LOL! Thanks again for the reply.