It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

When I install and try to start the 1998 versions of X-Wing and TIE Fighter, both programs start up with a blank white screen, though they do play sound and seem to react to keyboard input. The older versions of the games seem to run normally, but if there is a fix for the 1998 versions, please let me know. Also, I'm not sure if the GOG versions of XvT and X-Wing Alliance would have similar issues or not.
This question / problem has been solved by teleguyimage
Did you already try: https://github.com/rdoeffinger/xwa_ddraw_d3d11/releases/latest
As the readme says, you need to enable software cursor with it.
I don't think this is a particularly common problem, so it is hard to say if other games might have the same issue.
Best guess: XvT COULD have the same issue, but it's not very likely (it already switched from 8-bit to 16-bit graphics for its UI, which I suspect causes this), and X-Wing Alliance almost certainly won't have this issue (which admittedly is not the same as saying that it might not have any other issues)...
Reimar: Did you already try: https://github.com/rdoeffinger/xwa_ddraw_d3d11/releases/latest
I don't think this is a particularly common problem, so it is hard to say if other games might have the same issue.
Best guess: XvT COULD have the same issue, but it's not very likely (it already switched from 8-bit to 16-bit graphics for its UI, which I suspect causes this), and X-Wing Alliance almost certainly won't have this issue (which admittedly is not the same as saying that it might not have any other issues)...
So I just install that and the 1998 versions should work fine?

By the way, I've since downloaded XvT and it seems to be running without any issues. Makes me less wary to try XWA, so I'll have to download that as well.
Reimar: Did you already try: https://github.com/rdoeffinger/xwa_ddraw_d3d11/releases/latest
CombatC122: So I just install that and the 1998 versions should work fine?
Extract it into the game directory where the main executable is, yes. No "installation" really, worst case re-install the game and everything is as before.
As I haven't heard of your particular issue I can' t promise it will help, but it has helped people with quite a few issues in the past. Plus you actually get full-resolution 3D hardware rendering, which the standard GoG versions do not support.
That last part also applies to XvT/BoP (note that BoP binaries are in a separate directory, so you need to copy the files to both places in case you want to try it for that as well)..
It is the same solution (well, with quite some additional improvements) that GoG uses to make X-Wing Alliance work on modern computers
Post edited April 09, 2016 by Reimar
CombatC122: So I just install that and the 1998 versions should work fine?
Reimar: Extract it into the game directory where the main executable is, yes. No "installation" really, worst case re-install the game and everything is as before.
As I haven't heard of your particular issue I can' t promise it will help, but it has helped people with quite a few issues in the past. Plus you actually get full-resolution 3D hardware rendering, which the standard GoG versions do not support.
That last part also applies to XvT/BoP (note that BoP binaries are in a separate directory, so you need to copy the files to both places in case you want to try it for that as well)..
It is the same solution (well, with quite some additional improvements) that GoG uses to make X-Wing Alliance work on modern computers
Dropping that file into the game directory did make both X-Wing and TIE Fighter appear normally, but the mouse cursor is invisible. It's clearly there since I can still highlight and choose options if I happen to roll over them, but I can't tell exactly where the cursor is on the screen.
Post edited April 09, 2016 by CombatC122
Reimar: Extract it into the game directory where the main executable is, yes. No "installation" really, worst case re-install the game and everything is as before.
CombatC122: Dropping that file into the game directory did make both X-Wing and TIE Fighter appear normally, but the mouse cursor is invisible. It's clearly there since I can still highlight and choose options if I happen to roll over them, but I can't tell exactly where the cursor is on the screen.
Start the game from the game's launcher and tick "Use Software Cursor" in Advanced Options. Or create a shortcut to the game and add
-softwarecursor
to the target field in the shortcut's properties.
For example my target field looks like this:
"C:\GOG Games\Star Wars - TIE Fighter (1998)\TIE95.exe" -softwarecursor
CombatC122: Dropping that file into the game directory did make both X-Wing and TIE Fighter appear normally, but the mouse cursor is invisible. It's clearly there since I can still highlight and choose options if I happen to roll over them, but I can't tell exactly where the cursor is on the screen.
teleguy: Start the game from the game's launcher and tick "Use Software Cursor" in Advanced Options. Or create a shortcut to the game and add
-softwarecursor
Great, it works now. Thanks!
teleguy: Start the game from the game's launcher and tick "Use Software Cursor" in Advanced Options. Or create a shortcut to the game and add
-softwarecursor
CombatC122: Great, it works now. Thanks!
Hey I had the same problem and I downloaded the file. I put it into every game directory and now X-wing 98 and Tie Fighter 98 both work mostly. There is no music now in X-Wing 98 or Tie Fighter 98 which is strange and in X-Wing Alliance I now get a black screen during the parts where you select your ordnance right before you launch. Any ideas on how to fix?
CombatC122: Great, it works now. Thanks!
samtheweebo: Hey I had the same problem and I downloaded the file. I put it into every game directory and now X-wing 98 and Tie Fighter 98 both work mostly. There is no music now in X-Wing 98 or Tie Fighter 98 which is strange and in X-Wing Alliance I now get a black screen during the parts where you select your ordnance right before you launch. Any ideas on how to fix?
https://www.gog.com/forum/star_wars_xwing_and_tie_fighter_series/xwing_98_music