It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I'm trying to play TIE-CD. The flight yoke is properly calibrated in Windows 10. It also clicks and responds normally in the Alt+C in-game DOS calibration for TIE-CD.

However, it rolls erratically and misdirects itself constantly while in-game.

I had another gaming device - an arcade stick for fighting games - which I have disabled at the Win10 control panel. Does anybody know what might be causing this problem?
No posts in this topic were marked as the solution yet. If you can help, add your reply
enixine: I'm trying to play TIE-CD. The flight yoke is properly calibrated in Windows 10. It also clicks and responds normally in the Alt+C in-game DOS calibration for TIE-CD.

However, it rolls erratically and misdirects itself constantly while in-game.

I had another gaming device - an arcade stick for fighting games - which I have disabled at the Win10 control panel. Does anybody know what might be causing this problem?
Go to the game folder and see if you can find the config file for DosBOX, open it with notepad and under the group "joystick" change the "Timed" setting to false, also for the buttons try to change the type of joystick under the same group to see which works best.

However for the buttons, it is possible that another button is recognized as button 2 rather than the "official" one, usually the toggle cockpit button is button 4.

Also, use TARGET (the thrustmaster software for mapping buttons), I know additional software can look like a hassle but since I started using the software of my joystick (I have a CH Products but the Thrustmaster software should do more or less the same things) I can't see myself going back to barebones plug & play mode for DOS games, it will let you use all the unused buttons on your stick and change the ones already recognized.
Post edited February 25, 2016 by Det_Bullock
Thank you for your suggestions, I will definitely look into them!

I'll give your advice a try, and then post my findings here.

Go to the game folder and see if you can find the config file for DosBOX, open it with notepad and under the group "joystick" change the "Timed" setting to false, also for the buttons try to change the type of joystick under the same group to see which works best.

However for the buttons, it is possible that another button is recognized as button 2 rather than the "official" one, usually the toggle cockpit button is button 4.
I may be close to a (very late) solution for this problem.

First, I found the config file in this directory (I'm using a Windows 10 machine - it may be different for other users depending on their systems): { C:\GOG Games\Star Wars - TIE Fighter CD (1995) }

The config file is called "dosbox_tiecd.conf". It should be opened in Notepad.

Second, I searched for the string "joysticktype=". This gets you to the relevant part of the text file to edit.

Third, I puttered around with the settings. The settings that appear to give me the least problems is as follows:

joysticktype=fcs
timed=true
autofire=false
swap34=false
buttonwrap=false

There is still a certain minor degree of in-game sideways "float" even with these settings, but I seem to recall that TIE Fighter has always had some coding quirk whereby this was present even in the original release of the CD collector's version game. (And which back in 1995 I'd assumed was just due to a wonky flight yoke!)

I will attempt more changes and tweaks, but this is what has worked for me.
If you're familiar with the Thrustmaster mapping software (TARGET), try adding a small deadzone on the X and Y axis. For me, this helped reduce some of that "sideways float" feeling you described. The X-Wing games seem to be very sensitive to very slight stick movement, so setting a small deadzone in the center position will prevent some of that unintentional stick jitter from registering as an actual movement.

And this isn't just an issue with the T16000. I've experienced that floaty feeling with the controls since way back in the DOS days. Some joysticks show it more than others, but ultimately I think the games are just very sensitive to stick movement and aren't very good at calculating when the stick has returned to a neutral position.
Post edited July 17, 2017 by Ryan333