It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I know TFTC for XWA was released a few months ago, but there's still a retro charm and the iMuse soundtrack of the original Xwing and TIE Fighter games I appreciate.

I'm just bugged at some of the ship models due to their simplicity or inaccuracy, such as the ISD, Calamarian Cruisers, etc. I am wondering where are the 3D assets located and how may we extract and convert them to a workable format (such as OBJ or STL), make those changes, and recompile them back into their archive files?

My aim is to refine some of the ships for better proportions. I'd think increasing poly counts won't affect gameplay much with today's processors, even if we are not using 3D acceleration.

I guess during the conversion process we need to account for polygon colours, glow effects weapon hard points, etc, which might not translate to modern mesh formats at all.
Even if we are not successful in reapply those models back into the game it will be nice to have a historical record somewhere to preserve our childhood memories.
No posts in this topic were marked as the solution yet. If you can help, add your reply
fakebusker83: I know TFTC for XWA was released a few months ago, but there's still a retro charm and the iMuse soundtrack of the original Xwing and TIE Fighter games I appreciate.

I'm just bugged at some of the ship models due to their simplicity or inaccuracy, such as the ISD, Calamarian Cruisers, etc. I am wondering where are the 3D assets located and how may we extract and convert them to a workable format (such as OBJ or STL), make those changes, and recompile them back into their archive files?

My aim is to refine some of the ships for better proportions. I'd think increasing poly counts won't affect gameplay much with today's processors, even if we are not using 3D acceleration.

I guess during the conversion process we need to account for polygon colours, glow effects weapon hard points, etc, which might not translate to modern mesh formats at all.
Even if we are not successful in reapply those models back into the game it will be nice to have a historical record somewhere to preserve our childhood memories.
it could be possible, should you do it? probably not, being a dos program, dos has limitation on how much memory can be allocated and I would imagine the game has its own hard limits and unless we get access to the source code its unlikely we can raise raise those limits.
Thank you for your reply. That's true, DOS has definite limits on what can be done. Even so, I don't think we need to reverse engineer anything or raise any limits. I just want to tweak those models but keep their poly counts relatively light. The detailed models are already handled by TFTC.
fakebusker: Thank you for your reply. That's true, DOS has definite limits on what can be done. Even so, I don't think we need to reverse engineer anything or raise any limits. I just want to tweak those models but keep their poly counts relatively light. The detailed models are already handled by TFTC.
possibly but often limits on what the engine or rendering could do was hardcoded so even slightly tweaked models might not work without raising limitations but as we dont know how the engine renders it world or even loads it, this is just academic at this point, so reverse engineering would even be needed to find out how all of it works.
Post edited December 03, 2022 by Lord_Kane
I managed to find the proper software (Game File Explorer 1.32) and extract the SHIP files from species.lfd, which I read somewhere on these forums are the 3D assets for the ships. I guess it's emblematic of file formats of that era to be non-human-readable as I can't make head or tail of them on a text editor.

I know there's a way of deciphering them since OPT files have been reverse-engineered from years ago and those are a supposedly more complex descendent of the SHIP format, but without more knowledge of how to read them I guess I am standing in front of a brick wall.
Post edited December 18, 2022 by fakebusker