It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Hm, in any case you should reinstall the game from scratch and try again.
I'd search a bit for the error message you've described earlier, for a start.
I never had any problems with uniws and I know that the detection doesn't work over the registry, so that shouldn't be an issue. Are you using the GOG version of the game? Other .exe files might not work.
Urnoev: Hm, in any case you should reinstall the game from scratch and try again.
I'd search a bit for the error message you've described earlier, for a start.
I never had any problems with uniws and I know that the detection doesn't work over the registry, so that shouldn't be an issue. Are you using the GOG version of the game? Other .exe files might not work.
Yes, I'm using GOG version...
I've tried many times on my GOG version of SWKotOR1 with both UniWS & FlawlessWideScreen, but neither one works correctly. I used FlawlessWideScreen it to set a custom widescreen resolution, but neither the HUD nor in game menus were scaled correctly. So I restored the backuped original unmodded "swkotor.exe" & "swkotor.ini" and used UniWS with the modded widescreen HUD files, the in game menus were scaled correctly, but the HUD was missing. After attempting all this I restore the backuped original unmodded "swkotor.exe" & "swkotor.ini" I can no longer get the in game menus to scale correctly and the HUD is still missing. Web searching and attempting to the use the fixes suggested here, at Steam, reddit, WSGF, etc... has not resolved any of this issues.

To those that have got both the in game menus & HUD to display correctly while using a greater than 768px vertical widescreen resolution; I ask please, step-by-step, how exactly did you do it?

Hopefully this below will avoid "cease-and-desist" threats from DIsney & EA and will work with the GOG version.
Knights of the Old Republic: Apeiron http://www.apeirongame.com/
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic fan-made reboot looks promising http://www.pcgamer.com/star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic-fan-made-reboot-looks-promising/
ValamirCleaver: I've tried many times on my GOG version of SWKotOR1 with both UniWS & FlawlessWideScreen, but neither one works correctly. I used FlawlessWideScreen it to set a custom widescreen resolution, but neither the HUD nor in game menus were scaled correctly. So I restored the backuped original unmodded "swkotor.exe" & "swkotor.ini" and used UniWS with the modded widescreen HUD files, the in game menus were scaled correctly, but the HUD was missing. After attempting all this I restore the backuped original unmodded "swkotor.exe" & "swkotor.ini" I can no longer get the in game menus to scale correctly and the HUD is still missing. Web searching and attempting to the use the fixes suggested here, at Steam, reddit, WSGF, etc... has not resolved any of this issues.

To those that have got both the in game menus & HUD to display correctly while using a greater than 768px vertical widescreen resolution; I ask please, step-by-step, how exactly did you do it?

Hopefully this below will avoid "cease-and-desist" threats from DIsney & EA and will work with the GOG version.
Knights of the Old Republic: Apeiron http://www.apeirongame.com/
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic fan-made reboot looks promising http://www.pcgamer.com/star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic-fan-made-reboot-looks-promising/
Thanks for the comments, ValamirCleaver; it's good to know that I'm not the only one having these issues on the GOG version.

I *also* would be interested in hearing from others who have gotten widescreen to work on the GOG version of this game.
derelict.765: I *also* would be interested in hearing from others who have gotten widescreen to work on the GOG version of this game.
This is going to be a large wall of text, but I don't want to mistakenly omit any steps.

I finally got it to work on my laptop with a 1600 x 900 native resolution. First I cut & pasted my "saves" & "Override" folders plus my "swkotor.ini" to a location outside my "Star Wars - KotOR" folder. Then I deleted my "Star Wars - KotOR" folder. Next I made a new & fresh install of KotOR1. After installing made sure the resolution was set to 1024 x 768 in the in game menu & the "swkotor.ini". I made a quick placeholder character, made a placeholder save, then exited the game via the in game menu. I launched the game a second time, made a second placeholder save, followed by exiting the game via the in game menu again. I downloaded UniWS as per step "2." of the "Widescreen Resolutions" instructions at WSGF & extracted "uniws.zip" to a separate folder. http://www.wsgf.org/article/star-wars-knights-old-republic I edited then saved the "patches.ini" from "uniws.zip" to remove the lines ";movies edit 1" through "p7occur=1" as per step "4." of the "Troubleshooting" instructions in at WSGF. http://www.wsgf.org/article/star-wars-knights-old-republic I made backup copies of "swkotor.exe" & "swkotor.ini". I launched "uniws.exe" , selected "Star Wars: KOTOR (1024x768 interface)", set the "Game Installation Folder" value to correspond with my KotOR1 install & changed the "New Resolution" value; it defaults to "Screen Width:" 800 "Height:" 600, I changed it to "Screen Width:" 1600 "Height:" 900 which is the native resolution of my laptop; then clicked the "Patch" button in the lower right corner; followed by exiting the "Universal Widescreen Patcher". I downloaded the "1530x864.zip" (which is the closest one to the native resolution of my monitor) as per step "2." of the "HUD Correction" instructions at WSGF. http://www.wsgf.org/article/star-wars-knights-old-republic I extracted all the files from the "1530x864.zip" into the "Override" folder of my KotOR installation. I edited the "swkotor.ini" to change the second & third lines under "[Graphic Options]" to "Height=900" & "Width=1600". Finally I launched KotOR1 loaded one of the placeholder saves, the in game menus were resized correctly & while the in game HUD wasn't exact, it was close enough to use easily with no complaints (probably due to the differences between 1530 X 864 & 1600 X 900).

If you follow my instructions exactly, but substitute your resolution of 2560 X 1600 for where I used 1600 X 900 where applicable, I would hope these steps work for you.
Okay, I completely un-installed kotor, including all save files and other related files.
I then duplicated everything in ValamirCleaver's instructions, up to running uniws.exe. I selected Kotor 1024x768, pointed to my game folder, and this time it *did* enable the size fields.
I input 2560 and 1600, then clicked Patch... and it failed with:

Unable to write to file SWKOTOR.EXE for patch #2! Close all programs/games before patching.

I tried urnning uniws.exe both as normal user and admin, both give the same error.
I'm running on Windows 7 64-bit
sigh...
Has anyone
derelict.765: Unable to write to file SWKOTOR.EXE for patch #2! Close all programs/games before patching. 'm running on Windows 7 64-bit
Try rebooting to ensure all instances of KotOR1 closed, right click on "swkotor.exe", select "Properties" & make sure the "Read-only" "Attributes:" isn't checked. Also I don't know if this would make a difference, but I did this on Windows 10, I install all my games (and all non-Microsoft programs for that matter) outside the the "Programs (x86)" & "Programs" folders and I did run all the steps as Administrator. I'm sorry I don't know what your issue is, but I hope you are able to resolve it.
worked on win7 for me. did:

1) Run uniws\uniws.exe as admin.
2) Select C:\games\Star Wars - KotOR
3) Drop-Down to "Star Wars: KOTOR (1024x768 interface)" - really, or the hud correction will not work
4) enter 1920 and 1080 in the boxes.
5) press "patch"
6) close uniws\uniws.exe. at this point the hud fills the left upper 1024x768 square of your 1920x1080. fix that as follows.
7) put content of kotor-1920x1080_updated\ (1920x1080 (Updated by nix3r)) into C:\games\Star Wars - KotOR\Override
8) launch game
9) select 1920x1080x85hz in options. after a bit of talking, taking your box, putting things in box onto your body and talk some more (2 people in group). the left top should show map and the left bottom the character portraits, and the very right bottom of your screen four blue things. done.

- http://www.wsgf.org/article/star-wars-knights-old-republic
ValamirCleaver: I've tried many times on my GOG version of SWKotOR1 with both UniWS & FlawlessWideScreen, but neither one works correctly.
I played about 10 hours, then tried FlawlessWideScreen on my 1920x1200 screen and while it did intially work after 3 restarts, I started getting corrupt save files like crazy. I had ZERO up to this point.

Uninstalled FWS and the game (except for uncorruped older saves), and I have now played 40+ hours with no more corrupt saves.

I would not try FWS.

I have decided 1600x1200 is not that bad on a 1920x1200 monitor. I would rather live with the small black bars rather than make the game more flaky.
My monitor is a bit of an odd duck. It's resolution 1360x768. But since it is still hemisemidemi widescreen, I decided that I had enough of the black bars in my KOTOR game and try out some of the widescreen patchers.

I first tried Flawless Widescreen, the portable version. Though it detected my KOTOR instance when I was running it I could not get it to have any resolution other than the two native ones KOTOR came with even after closing and reopening it as the instructions said and eventually it started freezing my KOTOR instance when I tried to load a game. Moving swiftly on...

I next tried the Universal Widescreen patcher, I took the 1024x768 option, because there was no 1360x768 one go figure, and it worked absolutely fine. The black bars are still there obviously, but they are smaller.

So yeah. Not ideal, but frankly better than I was expecting.
MisterBlack: Here's some info for anyone confused on how to get this game working in widescreen (1920x1080) and have the movies work as well.

This is what I did step by step using the Universal Widescreen Patcher (Not the Flawless Widescreen program):

Homepage: http://www.wsgf.org/article/star-wars-knights-old-republic

1. If you already have unsuccessfully patched the game restore your backup of the original EXE if you haven't already, if you don't have a backup on hand then uninstall and reinstall the game.

2. Make sure you ran the game once before patching to create your default configuration.

3. Download the Universial Widescreen patcher from the site above if you haven't already

4. Download the Hud Correction files for your resolution, the one I specifically used since I want to run 1920x1080 is 1920x1080 (Updated by nix3r)

5. Extract uniws.zip anywhere and open patches.ini

6. Scroll down or search for the section labeled [Star Wars: KOTOR (1024x768 interface)]

7. From that section remove these lines and save the file. This will fix the black screen when viewing movies in game:

;movies edit 1
p4modfile=swkotor.exe
p4undofile=swkotorc.undom1
p4sig=800200007515813DD8D17800E001
p4sigwild=00000000000000
p4xoffset=0
p4yoffset=12
p4occur=1
;movies edit 2
p5modfile=swkotor.exe
p5undofile=swkotorc.undom2
p5sig=80020000C7442410E001
p5sigwild=0000000000
p5xoffset=0
p5yoffset=8
p5occur=1

8. Run uniws.exe, choose Star Wars: KOTOR (1024x768 interface), doesn't matter what resolution you ultimately plan on running, that's the one you need.

9. Browse to your KOTOR installation in the game installation folder section. Afterwards, set your screen resolution in the New Resolution section, I made mine 1920 for screen width and 1080 for height. Once you are finished go ahead and hit the patch button and exit the program.

10. Extract your fixed hud files. (mine being kotor-1920x1080_updated.rar) Extract them to your KOTOR/override directory, under the default installation path, that would be: C:\GOG Games\Star Wars - KotOR\Override

11. Edit swkotor.ini (This is in your game's installation directory) . We need to change the resolution still since it won't be able to be changed in game to the widescreen resolution and the patcher doesn't actually seem to change it for us. Find the section [Graphics Options] in swkotor.ini and set your resolution with the Width and Height variables. You can also set your refresh rate as well here.

12. (Optional) I recommend disabling the Frame Buffer in game. If it's enabled on my AMD Radeon 270x the game seems to lock up before it finishes loading the first level with Frame Buffer and anti aliasing enabled. You can disable the Frame Buffer in the advanced graphics options in game or disable it in the swkotor.ini file in the [Graphics Options] section by setting Frame Buffer=0 . This may not be an issue on nVidia cards so I would probably only change this if you have any issues.

Hope this solves some of the issues some people have been having with the game, these are my findings and experience so far. Once the game is setup though, it seems to run great has no issues so far.
I followed these steps as noted (with the exception of Step 11, as I didn't see the option to modify the resolution). I ran KOTOR in Administrator mode (Run as Administrator in Windows 10) and removed most of the Graphics settings checkbox options, and so far it's running like a charm. I'm over one hour into the game w/o any issues (about to enter the lower levels of Taris). Thanks for the game and the info!

Windows 10 64-bit; Intel i5-2500; Radeon Rx 480
MisterBlack: Here's some info for anyone confused on how to get this game working in widescreen (1920x1080) and have the movies work as well.

This is what I did step by step using the Universal Widescreen Patcher (Not the Flawless Widescreen program):

1. If you already have unsuccessfully patched the game restore your backup of the original EXE if you haven't already, if you don't have a backup on hand then uninstall and reinstall the game.

2. Make sure you ran the game once before patching to create your default configuration.

3. Download the Universial Widescreen patcher from the site above if you haven't already

4. Download the Hud Correction files for your resolution, the one I specifically used since I want to run 1920x1080 is 1920x1080 (Updated by nix3r)

6. Scroll down or search for the section labeled [Star Wars: KOTOR (1024x768 interface)]

7. From that section remove these lines and save the file. This will fix the black screen when viewing movies in game:

;movies edit 1
p4modfile=swkotor.exe
p4sigwild=00000000000000
p4xoffset=0
p4yoffset=12
p4occur=1
;movies edit 2
p5modfile=swkotor.exe
p5sigwild=0000000000
p5xoffset=0
p5yoffset=8
p5occur=1

8. Run uniws.exe, choose Star Wars: KOTOR (1024x768 interface), doesn't matter what resolution you ultimately plan on running, that's the one you need.

9. Browse to your KOTOR installation in the game installation folder section. Afterwards, set your screen resolution in the New Resolution section, I made mine 1920 for screen width and 1080 for height. Once you are finished go ahead and hit the patch button and exit the program.

10. Extract your fixed hud files. (mine being kotor-1920x1080_updated.rar) Extract them to your KOTOR/override directory, under the default installation path, that would be: C:\GOG Games\Star Wars - KotOR\Override

11. Edit swkotor.ini (This is in your game's installation directory) . We need to change the resolution still since it won't be able to be changed in game to the widescreen resolution and the patcher doesn't actually seem to change it for us. Find the section [Graphics Options] in swkotor.ini and set your resolution with the Width and Height variables. You can also set your refresh rate as well here.

12. (Optional) I recommend disabling the Frame Buffer in game. If it's enabled on my AMD Radeon 270x the game seems to lock up before it finishes loading the first level with Frame Buffer and anti aliasing enabled. You can disable the Frame Buffer in the advanced graphics options in game or disable it in the swkotor.ini file in the [Graphics Options] section by setting Frame Buffer=0 . This may not be an issue on nVidia cards so I would probably only change this if you have any issues.

Hope this solves some of the issues some people have been having with the game, these are my findings and experience so far. Once the game is setup though, it seems to run great has no issues so far.
MysteriousStranger: I followed these steps as noted (with the exception of Step 11, as I didn't see the option to modify the resolution). I ran KOTOR in Administrator mode (Run as Administrator in Windows 10) and removed most of the Graphics settings checkbox options, and so far it's running like a charm. I'm over one hour into the game w/o any issues (about to enter the lower levels of Taris). Thanks for the game and the info!

Windows 10 64-bit; Intel i5-2500; Radeon Rx 480
First I followed another guide which said I should use the 800x600 widescreen patch. Even with the updated patch files and the flawless widescreen tool enabled the HUD remained in the original 4:3 800x600 ratio, locked in the upper left corner of the screen. Using the 1024x768 patch however fixed the problem for me.
thx, this works perfect for me.

;movies edit 1
p4modfile=swkotor.exe
p4sigwild=00000000000000
p4xoffset=0
p4yoffset=12
p4occur=1
;movies edit 2
p5modfile=swkotor.exe
p5sigwild=0000000000
p5xoffset=0
p5yoffset=8
p5occur=1

Thanks! This worked for me.
For those who have tried everything else or want to try this:
This is what I did and worked(I used this method for 2560x1440 resolution, for me no other method worked)also you can have any graphics option enabled when using this method:
-Fresh install
-Started the game once and quit right when the main menu appeared(not necessary to make a character as others have)
-Installed flawless widescreen and chose configuration options
-Started game and chose 1600x1200, then quit
-opened the config/ini file
-changed "Fullscreen=1" to "Fullscreen=0"
-right under full screen command I added "AllowWindowedMode=1" and then saved.
-closed ini/config file.
-Started the game and quit
-opened config/ini file and altered resolution to preferred res.(width/height commands are a few lines above full screen command)
-saved and started my game, which launched with the correct res
The main menu/in game menu may not display the correct resolution upon your second time launching the game but that doesnt mean during gameplay it wont.

Also if it's running in a windowed mode when you start it after your first time(most likely it will) do this:
Relaunch steam and fw
Launch game
Exit game (no navigating menus just opening and closing app)
Open ini file, click anywhere on ini file and exit ini file
Launch game
Select desired res
Post edited December 20, 2017 by Deeek