Here's some info for anyone confused on how to get this game working in widescreen (1920x1080) and have the movies work as well.
This is what I did step by step using the Universal Widescreen Patcher (Not the Flawless Widescreen program):
1. If you already have unsuccessfully patched the game restore your backup of the original EXE if you haven't already, if you don't have a backup on hand then uninstall and reinstall the game.
2. Make sure you ran the game once before patching to create your default configuration.
3. Download the Universial Widescreen patcher from the site above if you haven't already
4. Download the Hud Correction files for your resolution, the one I specifically used since I want to run 1920x1080 is 1920x1080 (Updated by nix3r)
5. Extract uniws.zip anywhere and open patches.ini
6. Scroll down or search for the section labeled [Star Wars: KOTOR (1024x768 interface)]
7. From that section remove these lines and save the file. This will fix the black screen when viewing movies in game: ;movies edit 1
;movies edit 2
8. Run uniws.exe, choose Star Wars: KOTOR (1024x768 interface), doesn't matter what resolution you ultimately plan on running, that's the one you need.
9. Browse to your KOTOR installation in the game installation folder section. Afterwards, set your screen resolution in the New Resolution section, I made mine 1920 for screen width and 1080 for height. Once you are finished go ahead and hit the patch button and exit the program.
10. Extract your fixed hud files. (mine being kotor-1920x1080_updated.rar) Extract them to your KOTOR/override directory, under the default installation path, that would be: C:\GOG Games\Star Wars - KotOR\Override
11. Edit swkotor.ini (This is in your game's installation directory) . We need to change the resolution still since it won't be able to be changed in game to the widescreen resolution and the patcher doesn't actually seem to change it for us. Find the section [Graphics Options]
in swkotor.ini and set your resolution with the Width and Height variables. You can also set your refresh rate as well here.
12. (Optional) I recommend disabling the Frame Buffer in game. If it's enabled on my AMD Radeon 270x the game seems to lock up before it finishes loading the first level with Frame Buffer and anti aliasing enabled. You can disable the Frame Buffer in the advanced graphics options in game or disable it in the swkotor.ini file in the [Graphics Options]
section by setting Frame Buffer=0
. This may not be an issue on nVidia cards so I would probably only change this if you have any issues.
Hope this solves some of the issues some people have been having with the game, these are my findings and experience so far. Once the game is setup though, it seems to run great has no issues so far.
I followed these steps as noted (with the exception of Step 11, as I didn't see the option to modify the resolution). I ran KOTOR in Administrator mode (Run as Administrator in Windows 10) and removed most of the Graphics settings checkbox options, and so far it's running like a charm. I'm over one hour into the game w/o any issues (about to enter the lower levels of Taris). Thanks for the game and the info!