It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I'm using a Microsoft brand 360 gamepad which has the vibrators and seems to work without issue in any game I've ever used. In this game however with joystick configured and enabled the options setting refuse to allow the turning on of force feedback giving a message on the bottom of the screen in flashing large green text that says there is no force feedback capable device.

Is this an incompatibility with this old software with current hardware or is there a way I can override this to get the force feedback working?
Rumble ≠ Force Feedback
A Gamepad doesn't have Force Feedback at all. Only some older Sidewinder Joysticks and most of modern Steering Wheels provide real Force Feedback.
True, but in many cases they're practically the same thing. In fact, this game allows switching "Force feedback" on if it detects a directinput gamepad with rumble capabilities (the first version of the Logitech Rumblepad 2, for instance. Than one was dinput only IIRC).

Anyhow, the xinput standard being backwards compatible with dinput games, Microsoft ditched rumble/FFB backwards compatibility completely. Luckily there's this folk who found a way to restore it back:

http://lavendy.net/special/driver/xi/

If you're using any 64 bit windows from 7 to 11, download "xi.win7.x64.en.zip" and install it. Profit

It works on every single old directinput game out there, including Star Wars Racer, of course. It brings back vibration when using a modern xinput/360 controller/joystick/wheel/whatever.
Post edited May 01, 2023 by Famicom