It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Hi everyone,

I haven't gamed much in the past 16 years, and would like to know the best way to configure a gamepad for Pod Racer. I've looked at the PDF manual, and the default settings aren't suitable / don't work.

I'm right handed, and have a Logitech F310 & F710 to play with (image attached).

Should I map both mini joysticks, or should I use the D-Pad on the left and the mini joystick on the right?

Left side of controller:
Thrust/Brake and Roll left/right?

Right side of controller:
Nose up/down with Slide left/right?

Or should I be using the trigger buttons for thrust/brake?

What do you guys map to the A, B, X and Y buttons?

Thank you in advance for any advice. I struggle a lot to get accustomed to gamepads/joysticks - so I'd rather set it up properly the first time and only have to learn once.
Attachments:
Post edited May 19, 2018 by mike.skinner
No posts in this topic were marked as the solution yet. If you can help, add your reply
mike.skinner: Hi everyone,

I haven't gamed much in the past 16 years, and would like to know the best way to configure a gamepad for Pod Racer. I've looked at the PDF manual, and the default settings aren't suitable / don't work.

I'm right handed, and have a Logitech F310 & F710 to play with (image attached).

Should I map both mini joysticks, or should I use the D-Pad on the left and the mini joystick on the right?

Left side of controller:

Thank you in advance for any advice. I struggle a lot to get accustomed to gamepads/joysticks - so I'd rather set it up properly the first time and only have to learn once.
I'm using a 360 controller, but I'd think it's basically the same.

Left stick for turning left and right and nose up and down. Right stick for rolling left and right.

Left trigger for thrust, but the game can't really recognize right trigger as brake because it sees both as one analog axis, and for some reason pressing the trigger doesn't get you the countdown starting boost. So I have thrust also on left bumper to get the starting boost, and brake on right bumper.

A button for boost, B button for slide, X for repair. Y is taunt, but that's just a joke. Left stick button for changing views, but I don't use it much. No d-pad, this is a game with analog steering.

Hope this is helpful.
Post edited May 21, 2018 by DudeSomeguy
DudeSomeguy: Hope this is helpful.
Thanks @DudeSomeguy - I'll have to give it a go.

I also have an xbox one controller which I could maybe use.

The mapping I created last week was OK, however my hand got tired/sore quickly using one of the triggers for moving forwards.

Thanks again :-)
Post edited May 26, 2018 by mike.skinner
I'm using a PS4 controller and this is my configuration:
I have steer left/right and point engine up/down mapped to the left joystick. (this makes steering most similar to the N64 version)

I have analog brake and analog throttle mapped to L2 and R2 respectively and I have normal brake/throttle buttons mapped to L1 and R1 respectively. There's a bug/enomaly where using analog throttle won't let you get a boost start at the start of a race so I have both of them mapped. The full brake button does make you stop faster than the analog brake when pushed all the way down. (this might be a placebo, I think some testing needs to be done with regards to this but there's situations in normal play where analog braking gives an advantage)

I have tilt left/right mapped to the horizontal movement on the right joystick and I have slide mapped to Square... though I may play with where I have Slide mapped.

I have the camera controls and taunting mapped to the D-pad. D-up looks backwards, D-down cycles through camera mode and D-right is mapped to Taunt.

Anyway I hope that helps!
Post edited May 28, 2018 by randomviewer896
mike.skinner: Hi everyone,

Left side of controller:

DudeSomeguy: I'm using a 360 controller, but I'd think it's basically the same.

Left stick for turning left and right and nose up and down. Right stick for rolling left and right.

Left trigger for thrust, but the game can't really recognize right trigger as brake because it sees both as one analog axis, and for some reason pressing the trigger doesn't get you the countdown starting boost. So I have thrust also on left bumper to get the starting boost, and brake on right bumper.

A button for boost, B button for slide, X for repair. Y is taunt, but that's just a joke. Left stick button for changing views, but I don't use it much. No d-pad, this is a game with analog steering.

Hope this is helpful.
Bullshit, you can map both brake and thrust to triggers, map one and then try to map the other one, the game will ask you if you want to use the same input for both - select yes and you will see both triggers mapped, one to regular Z axis and one to a "Z+" axis. I have them mapped like this and it works correctly.