It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

jnisbet: I've gotten the GOG version of Jedi Knight working in 64-bit Windows 10 with 3D acceleration, mod support AND music by doing three things:

[...]
Thanks for your efforts! This is the first properly working method to play the game (Steam version) on my Windows 10 laptop with an Nvidia GeForce GTX 850M graphics card. I was able to use dgVoodoo, too, but it would always stretch the image no matter what. Using your method the image would show properly. I can't use a resolution like 1280x1024 or higher, though, as it will show an error that my graphics card doesn't have enough memory, but I don't mind that as I prefer playing at 640x480 for the bigger HUD, anyway. Also, I don't want to play using any graphics enhancing mods, so unless there is one that only upscales the HUD, that's my best bet. All in all, I'm very satisfied!
Syrion: Thanks for your efforts! This is the first properly working method to play the game (Steam version) on my Windows 10 laptop with an Nvidia GeForce GTX 850M graphics card. I was able to use dgVoodoo, too, but it would always stretch the image no matter what. Using your method the image would show properly. I can't use a resolution like 1280x1024 or higher, though, as it will show an error that my graphics card doesn't have enough memory, but I don't mind that as I prefer playing at 640x480 for the bigger HUD, anyway. Also, I don't want to play using any graphics enhancing mods, so unless there is one that only upscales the HUD, that's my best bet. All in all, I'm very satisfied!
You're welcome.

FWIW, I was opposed to the graphics enhancing mods, myself, until I tried a few and wished that I had applied them before my recent playthrough.

The texture mod, especially, is very faithful and seemed to me to mostly just replace the low quality versions of every texture with the high quality ones. What I mean is that the game seems to use about 3 different qualities for every texture. When you're really far away, it loads the low quality version of the texture. As you get closer, it switches to the medium quality one. Finally, when you're somewhat close, it loads the high quality one. What the texture mod seems to do is replace all of the low and medium quality versions of textures with the high quality ones so that that's the only one that you ever see, even when you're far away. That makes all textures look better, even at distance, and removes the annoying transitions as textures are swapped between qualities. In that way, it's less of a texture mod and more like a mod that forces the game to use the high qualities of the original textures all of the time.

I recommend at least testing it and seeing for yourself. It's simple to add and then delete if you don't like it.
Post edited January 10, 2017 by jnisbet
That does indeed sound a like sensible choice of a mod to use in my case. I take it you mean the "LOD (level of detail) texture/model fixes" as mentioned by mwnn here?
Although, I must say that I was surprised by how bad the game looks, even for the time and artistically, especially on level 3. So, I'm not sure it really changes that much for me, hehe. But, I'll give it a try, thanks for the recommendation!
Syrion: That does indeed sound a like sensible choice of a mod to use in my case. I take it you mean the "LOD (level of detail) texture/model fixes" as mentioned by mwnn here?
Although, I must say that I was surprised by how bad the game looks, even for the time and artistically, especially on level 3. So, I'm not sure it really changes that much for me, hehe. But, I'll give it a try, thanks for the recommendation!
No, I didn't use the "LOD" fix, since the guy says in the post that it caused issues (and he'd already removed the links, anyways).

What I'm referring to is the "Jedi Knight Retexture Pack". You can download it here. Just to be clear, there are some custom textures in it, but it seemed to me (in going back and forth, comparing the first level with and without the mod) that the game looked the same (and how it was meant to look), just better.

There's also the "Jedi Knight Enhanced" mod (available here under JK_Enhanced.zip), which replaces the enemy, NPC, weapon, item and player models with higher-polygon versions, along with higher-quality textures for them. Most of the models and textures are taken from Jedi Knight II, so they're authentic to the Jedi Knight series, just not to this iteration. In other words, enemies, NPCs, weapons, items and the player will look like they do in Jedi Knight II. That might be too much of a change for some people, but other people might not mind, since they're just coming from the sequel, not from a 3rd party.

Those two mods are, I think, the two major ones that most people try out first.

BTW, I can also vouch for the improved music replacement. It's exactly the same music tracks, playing at exactly the same times in the game, just in noticeably better quality.
Post edited January 15, 2017 by jnisbet
jnisbet: I've gotten the GOG version of Jedi Knight working in 64-bit Windows 10 with 3D acceleration, mod support AND music by doing three things:

1. Extracted this pre-patched JK Unofficial Patch to the game folder. This enables mod support and is needed for the next step.

2. Extracted this 32-bit Display Mode Patch to the game folder. This is one of the ddraw.dll files that fixes 3D acceleration.

After doing those two things, I was able to go into Setup->Display and select a 32bpp resolution (which you need to get working 3D acceleration instead of a black screen). If you still can't select a 32bpp resolution, then try extracting [url=http://jkdf2.com/files/ddraw_(hack_viewport3_clear2).zip]this alternate ddraw.dll[/url] to the game folder, instead.

At this point, I had working 3D acceleration and mod support, but no "CD" music (i.e. no music after walking out of the bar). That made sense at first, since I was now using a different version of JK.exe than the GOG version, but it turned out that it wasn't that and that the fix to get music working again was very simple...

3. Renamed JK.exe to something else (I chose JediKnight.exe) and updated the shortcut.

When I discovered that that fixed the problem and I was getting music again, I went digging through the registry and found the culprits:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Custom\JK.exe
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers

Once I deleted the JK.exe key and the reference to JK.exe under the Layers key (don't delete the Layers key, just the value inside it which references JK.exe), I was able to rename the executable back to JK.exe and still got music. For people who aren't comfortable with editing the registry and want a simple solution, though, renaming JK.exe to something else does the job just as well. Try it if you've gotten 3D acceleration working, but are now not hearing music after you leave the bar.
Damn, Steps 1 and 2 got 3d accelleration working for me, however no sound. So, as you mentioned, I renamed JK.exe to something else (JediKnight.exe). I click on that executable, game runs fine...3D... resolution.... still no music.

Any thoughts?
quietcool72: Damn, Steps 1 and 2 got 3d accelleration working for me, however no sound. So, as you mentioned, I renamed JK.exe to something else (JediKnight.exe). I click on that executable, game runs fine...3D... resolution.... still no music.

Any thoughts?
Just to make sure, if you're starting a new game, have you gone through the bar yet? There's no CD music when you start the first level. You have to go through bar (where the cantina music from the first movie plays) before the CD music starts. Specifically, you should start hearing it as you're approaching the first health pack on top of the crate.

If you still don't hear music, try the CD wrapper fix at the top of the other stickied thread here:
https://www.gog.com/forum/star_wars_dark_forces_series/jedi_knight_dark_forces_2_improved_music_and_other_goodies/page1
You could also try downloading and extracting the higher-quality music from that same post. I recommend it, since the quality is better.
Post edited January 30, 2017 by jnisbet
Haven't played this game in ages. Love it!

Installing the dll's from the dgvoodoo web page into the base Jedi Knight directory worked for me, and now I no longer have a black screen when the level starts.

What was really fantastic though, is that I have an LG Ultrawide monitor that runs 2560 x 1080 - and the game actually runs, no hitches, at this resolution and aspect ratio! Most old games would crash if they aren't in 4:3 or 16:9. The only slight problem, is that whenever you bring up the menu, a small portion of the bottom of the screen is off the screen, but luckily all the lower buttons were still visible in part and could be clicked upon.
jnisbet: snip
These instructions don't work at all for me. The intro movie plays, but the game crashes before I can even get into the main menu. It does the same thing with the alternate ddraw.dll as well. The new .exe doesn't crash if you launch it by itself rather than using the included GOG launcher, but it doesn't function either, it just stays force-minimized. None of the above solutions work, either. Since most of the above solutions don't mention a gog launcher/wrapper, I suspect a new installer (2.0.0.6) is causing old solutions to not work.

Using the base gog install, I can occasionally get a game started, but it's not easily reproducible. Even if I get it working briefly, if I go into the menu from ingame it'll blackscreen when I return to the game every time.
Hrm, just tried installing with the jnisbet mod solution and it's not working - tried renaming JK.exe to JediKnight.exe, tried launching through GOG, through just the EXE in the folder, nothing - it crashes. Anyone have any advice? On Win 10 (i7-5820k, GTX 1070)
Post edited May 03, 2017 by dementia13
jnisbet: snip
bevinator: These instructions don't work at all for me. The intro movie plays, but the game crashes before I can even get into the main menu. It does the same thing with the alternate ddraw.dll as well. The new .exe doesn't crash if you launch it by itself rather than using the included GOG launcher, but it doesn't function either, it just stays force-minimized. None of the above solutions work, either. Since most of the above solutions don't mention a gog launcher/wrapper, I suspect a new installer (2.0.0.6) is causing old solutions to not work.

Using the base gog install, I can occasionally get a game started, but it's not easily reproducible. Even if I get it working briefly, if I go into the menu from ingame it'll blackscreen when I return to the game every time.
Any luck getting it to work? I just tried installing with the jnisbet mod solution and it's not working - tried renaming JK.exe to JediKnight.exe, tried launching through GOG, through just the EXE in the folder, nothing - it crashes. Anyone have any advice? On Win 10 (i7-5820k, nVidia GTX 1070)

1. Extracted this pre-patched JK Unofficial Patch to the game folder. This enables mod support and is needed for the next step.

2. Extracted this 32-bit Display Mode Patch to the game folder. This is one of the ddraw.dll files that fixes 3D acceleration.

After doing those two things, I was able to go into Setup->Display and select a 32bpp resolution (which you need to get working 3D acceleration instead of a black screen). If you still can't select a 32bpp resolution, then try extracting [url=http://jkdf2.com/files/ddraw_(hack_viewport3_clear2).zip]this alternate ddraw.dll[/url] to the game folder, instead.

At this point, I had working 3D acceleration and mod support, but no "CD" music (i.e. no music after walking out of the bar). That made sense at first, since I was now using a different version of JK.exe than the GOG version, but it turned out that it wasn't that and that the fix to get music working again was very simple...

3. Renamed JK.exe to something else (I chose JediKnight.exe) and updated the shortcut.

When I discovered that that fixed the problem and I was getting music again, I went digging through the registry and found the culprits:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Custom\JK.exe
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers

Once I deleted the JK.exe key and the reference to JK.exe under the Layers key (don't delete the Layers key, just the value inside it which references JK.exe), I was able to rename the executable back to JK.exe and still got music. For people who aren't comfortable with editing the registry and want a simple solution, though, renaming JK.exe to something else does the job just as well. Try it if you've gotten 3D acceleration working, but are now not hearing music after you leave the bar.
This works! THANK YOU!

Seriously, the Steam version never worked fully for me, and at first even the gog.com version's music didn't work, but this did the trick!

One thing I'll add that I noticed: if you started a game without the music and saved, the music won't play even if you've followed the directions flawlessly. You MUST start a fresh new game to get the music to work. Start a new game, skip the intro cutscenes, and walk out the bar until you can't hear the cantina music anymore, and the more dramatic music should start up. That's the ONLY way to be 100% sure you've gotten the music to work.

So for those of you who followed this person's directions and it still didn't work, try that with a fresh new game and see if it works :)
So I tried the process written by jnisbet. What I spotted was, that there is not a ddraw.dll in the original install, so it does not get replaced by the one in the patch. The .exe gets replaced. After I do this and launch the game, a pixelated part of the main screen appears over the whole screen and I have to restart the computer to reverse it.

For the record, I have a W10 64-bit with a geforce card. Any suggestion, guys? Thanks a lot.
i tried them all apart from the over hall beacuse i get this little atrifact
Attachments:
Hey guys,

it's still not working for me. If I put only the .dll file in the folder it doesn't change anything and the other two downloads always show a virus/malware. So I really don't know what to do. Software rendering is horrible and laggy.

Also everyone keeps saying there should already be a .dll file in the folder but there never was. When I put the downloaded file in the folder it didn't ask me to overwrite.

EDIT: Well it somewhat works. I get a really strange crosshair with the crosshair fix and the game freezes every 15 seconds for about 1 second.
Post edited May 12, 2017 by LordAbstellhaken
This is crazy. This game requires a lot of work by users to get it running and does not work "out of the box" from GOG. There needs to be a better solution than this.

Are there any emulators that would run this game better?