It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Zero6823: So, I just purchased this game off gog and downloaded it today and I found I didn't have any need for patches. I guess gog took these patches and added the files to their installation download package?

My computer is win 7 and has amd graphics card.
That would be odd (but maybe not unheard of). I haven't noticed any updates to the installer for quite a while (if ever?).
Zero6823: So, I just purchased this game off gog and downloaded it today and I found I didn't have any need for patches. I guess gog took these patches and added the files to their installation download package?

Boilpoint: That would be odd (but maybe not unheard of). I haven't noticed any updates to the installer for quite a while (if ever?).
Well maybe it's just my luck of the draw. lol. I haven't had to change anything since using the installer from gog.
guys i have a HD7770 1GB and when i try using 3D acceleration with or without any of the fixes, the game sends me back to the main menu with a message saying "your graphics card may not have enough memory to support these settings"
seriously game engine?
Gunblade0: guys i have a HD7770 1GB and when i try using 3D acceleration with or without any of the fixes, the game sends me back to the main menu with a message saying "your graphics card may not have enough memory to support these settings"
seriously game engine?
you gotta have the dgvoodoo2 files in the root of the JK folder. the game is dx5 and none of the modern OS's support dx5 so 3d won't work without a wrapper... just google dgvoodoo2 and download the latest release. I was getting the same message until I dropped the files in the folder. Now it works great, even the enhanced mod with better character models works well...

I re-downloaded the game just to see and nope... mods dont' work until it is patched, 3d acceleration needed the dgvoodoo2 files to get it working... the only updated thing in the last year was the new winmm.dll to correct the audio access changes win10 made that caused the game to not work with win10
Post edited June 11, 2016 by medievil1
Step 1 is: "get rid of GOG/Steam Versions" + Links to Piracy

Why is this postet here and even stickied?
Marlor: Step 1 is: "get rid of GOG/Steam Versions" + Links to Piracy

Why is this postet here and even stickied?
huh?? what links to piracy?? if they have the gog/steam version they bought the game, if you mean the original ExE.. so what?? it is being patched to WORK with the gog/steam versions so that 3d acceleration will finally work.. mods are legal..
this whole thread is so people can make the gog/steam versions run better
medievil1: huh?? what links to piracy?? if they have the gog/steam version they bought the game, if you mean the original ExE.. so what??
Not The exe, the komplete Game:

"We provide original distributions of both Jedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith in .ISO (Disc Image) formats. These are the original 1997 and 1998 distributions of both games.

Download Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2 1997 Original Distribution (Disc 1): -
Download Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2 1997 Original Distribution (Disc 2): -
Download Mysteries of The Sith Expansion 1998 Original Distribution: -
"
Edit: Okay I finally got a proper 4:3 image, now the only problem is the FPS. The best I can seem to do is something that feels like about 40 FPS - better than 30 but still barely playable. Is that a limit imposed by the game's code, or should I be able to get to 60?

This thread should not be stickied. All there is a single link that points to a wall of text with instructions that are a year old and clearly out of date. I am no computer novice but there needs to be at least some basic guidance that goes beyond "download this plugin and then you're on your own."

Even after spending 3 hours digging through the posts here and messing with the dgVoodoo settings, I still can't get 3D acceleration working. The closest I've gotten is a stretched 16:9 widescreen image that is locked at 30 FPS.
Post edited June 20, 2016 by ThreeSon
high rated
Here's how to get Jedi Knight working in 64-bit Windows 10 with 3D acceleration, mod support AND music:

1. Extract this pre-patched JK Unofficial Patch to your game folder. This improves compatibility with modern Windows and is needed for some mods and fixes to work.

2. Download the dgVoodoo 2 wrapper from the official site and extract it somewhere. Copy dgVoodooCpl.exe to your game folder. Copy DDraw.dll and D3DImm.dll from the MS folder to your game folder. Run dgVoodooCpl.exe from your game folder and de-select the "dgVoodoo 2 watermark" option.

3. Download and extract this fixed winmm.dll wrapper to your game folder. This fixes a few issues with music playing after you exit the bar.

4. Rename JK.exe to something else (such as JediKnight.exe) and update your shortcut. That should fix missing music on Windows 10. Alternately (especially if that doesn't help), you can download the fixed wrapper in Step 3, extract the .reg file, open it in a text editor, follow the instructions at the top and then double-click on the file to import it.

[Updated 7/5/2017]
I re-wrote the instructions and added links to the dgVoodoo files and the music wrapper.

[Updated 5/5/2018]
Fixed broken links.

[Updated 3/23/2024]
Fixed broken link.

Also, here are my instructions for Mysteries of the Sith:
https://www.gog.com/forum/star_wars_dark_forces_series/jedi_knight_mots_hardware_acceleration_graphic_patches_for_all/post198
Post edited March 23, 2024 by jnisbet
jnisbet: I've gotten the GOG version of Jedi Knight working in 64-bit Windows 10 with 3D acceleration AND music by doing three things:

1. Copied the DDraw fix (the ddraw.dll wrapper) to the game folder. See the URL in the 1st post.

2. Copied the pre-patched JK Unofficial Patch to the game folder. See the URL in the 1st post.

Doing those two things got me 3D acceleration (after I switched to a 32bpp resolution in Setup), but no "CD" music (i.e. no music after walking out of the bar). This made sense at first, since I was now using a non-GOG version of JK.exe, but it turned out that it wasn't that and that the fix to get music working with the unofficially patched executable was very simple...

3. Renamed JK.exe to something else (I chose JediKnight.exe) and updated the shortcut.

When I saw that that fixed the problem and I was getting music again, I went digging in the registry and found the culprit: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Custom\JK.exe, under which there were a lot of compatibility settings. That's not the usual place where compatibility settings are stored when you run apps and it was the ONLY entry there, so my suspicion is that the GOG installer specifically created it. Anyways, once I deleted that key, I was able to rename the executable back to JK.exe and still got music. For people who aren't comfortable with editing the registry and want a simple solution, though, renaming JK.exe to something else does the job just as well. Try it if you've gotten 3D acceleration working, but are now not hearing music after you leave the bar.
This works fantastically! I had so many issues trying to get the game to run on Win 10 properly through the methods listed before, but this works.
medievil1: huh?? what links to piracy?? if they have the gog/steam version they bought the game, if you mean the original ExE.. so what??
Marlor: Not The exe, the komplete Game:

"We provide original distributions of both Jedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith in .ISO (Disc Image) formats. These are the original 1997 and 1998 distributions of both games.

"
I was wondering this myself. Not so much about piracy but why come to the GOG website to point to a website where the first step is to uninstall the GOG version?
jnisbet: I've gotten the GOG version of Jedi Knight working in 64-bit Windows 10 with 3D acceleration, mod support AND music by doing three things:

1. Extracted this pre-patched JK Unofficial Patch to the game folder. This enables mod support and is needed for the next step.

2. Extracted this 32-bit Display Mode Patch to the game folder. This is one of the ddraw.dll files that fixes 3D acceleration.

After doing those two things, I was able to go into Setup->Display and select a 32bpp resolution (which you need to get working 3D acceleration instead of a black screen). If you still can't select a 32bpp resolution, then try extracting [url=http://jkdf2.com/files/ddraw_(hack_viewport3_clear2).zip]this alternate ddraw.dll[/url] to the game folder, instead.

At this point, I had working 3D acceleration and mod support, but no "CD" music (i.e. no music after walking out of the bar). That made sense at first, since I was now using a different version of JK.exe than the GOG version, but it turned out that it wasn't that and that the fix to get music working again was very simple...

3. Renamed JK.exe to something else (I chose JediKnight.exe) and updated the shortcut.

When I discovered that that fixed the problem and I was getting music again, I went digging through the registry and found the culprits:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Custom\JK.exe
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers

Once I deleted the JK.exe key and the reference to JK.exe under the Layers key (don't delete the Layers key, just the value inside it which references JK.exe), I was able to rename the executable back to JK.exe and still got music. For people who aren't comfortable with editing the registry and want a simple solution, though, renaming JK.exe to something else does the job just as well. Try it if you've gotten 3D acceleration working, but are now not hearing music after you leave the bar.
Not work, I have small picture of game in the left-top screen.
farth: Not work, I have small picture of game in the left-top screen.
That sounds like a DLL issue. Are you using the ddraw.dll that's included in the zip from Step 2 of my post? If so, then try the first two ddraw.dll versions from the following page (the third and final one is the one that I linked to, since I had success with that one):

http://jkdf2.com/23-step-6-3d-acceleration-fixes-directx-wrappers-optional-depends-on-your-graphics-card-and-operating-system

If both of those don't work for you, either, and you happen to have an AMD/ATI graphics card, then download and install the AMD/ATI fix from that same page. Try combining that with each of the three ddraw.dlls. One of the combinations will hopefully work for you.
Marlor: Not The exe, the komplete Game:

"
Astaldo711: I was wondering this myself. Not so much about piracy but why come to the GOG website to point to a website where the first step is to uninstall the GOG version?
There are times when a fan-made executable will run a game much better than the original code no matter how you package the original. In those cases, you can come to GOG to send money to whoever has the rights to the content, and then swap in the better executable to have a better experience playing the game.

Handing out the whole game as a replacement is weirder.
farth: Not work, I have small picture of game in the left-top screen.
jnisbet: That sounds like a DLL issue. Are you using the ddraw.dll that's included in the zip from Step 2 of my post? If so, then try the first two ddraw.dll versions from the following page (the third and final one is the one that I linked to, since I had success with that one):

http://jkdf2.com/23-step-6-3d-acceleration-fixes-directx-wrappers-optional-depends-on-your-graphics-card-and-operating-system

If both of those don't work for you, either, and you happen to have an AMD/ATI graphics card, then download and install the AMD/ATI fix from that same page. Try combining that with each of the three ddraw.dlls. One of the combinations will hopefully work for you.
TY for this game now works on win7 32-bit Aldi media center comp.