It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

SkyLynx: The 3d acceleration works fine for me in the GOG version. The only downside is that the framerate seems to be locked in 30fps (except the gun). I have tried to fix the problem with the fix in the first post and tried to fiddle with dgvoodoo. The results so far have been the same as the unpatched GOG version or slightly worse (the fix in the first post looked fine but made the menus slower for some reason).
Is it even possible to fix the framerate? If it is then how?
Somewhere I read about it, but I cannot remember where (maybe vogons forum?). What I understood was that the some render objects were placed in the wrong renderlayer (HUD renderlayer), which is locked to 30fps. The developers didn't noticed that because their computers couldn't handle JK with over 30fps. You must have the source code to fix that.

But maybe I'm totally wrong.
teleguy: It's included here:
http://dege.freeweb.hu/dgVoodoo2_41.zip

Edit: It looks like Intel enabled DirectX 10.1 with a driver update. If you're still using one of the older drivers dgVoodoo won't work.

http://downloadatoz.com/howto/intel-hd-graphics-driver-version-15-21-10-2291-for-windows-7-vista,24051.html

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProdId=3319
sherringon456: How do I install dgvoodoo? If I put all the files in the directory it still renders the menu in a tiny fullscreen menu which means that the game would not be in fullscreen as the menu was like that when the gameplay and without the glide it says unable to set video mode and with glide it says insert CD.
If you're using the Steam version don't use the Steam client to launch the game, doubleclick on jk.exe.

Some people say putting any random CD Rom in the drive will fix the Insert CD message.

Edit: Sorry, misunderstood your question. Set scaling method in dgvoodoo setup to stretched.
Post edited February 05, 2015 by teleguy
SkyLynx: The 3d acceleration works fine for me in the GOG version. The only downside is that the framerate seems to be locked in 30fps (except the gun). I have tried to fix the problem with the fix in the first post and tried to fiddle with dgvoodoo. The results so far have been the same as the unpatched GOG version or slightly worse (the fix in the first post looked fine but made the menus slower for some reason).
Is it even possible to fix the framerate? If it is then how?
Cpt.Obvious: Somewhere I read about it, but I cannot remember where (maybe vogons forum?). What I understood was that the some render objects were placed in the wrong renderlayer (HUD renderlayer), which is locked to 30fps. The developers didn't noticed that because their computers couldn't handle JK with over 30fps. You must have the source code to fix that.

But maybe I'm totally wrong.
Oh, okay. Fortunately it isn't a game breaker or anything to play in 30fps. It would've been nice to have uncapped framerate but if the situation really is this, then i guess there's nothing anyone can do about it. Thanks for the info anyway!!!
Post edited July 28, 2020 by nsg15
nsg15: Okay guys updated the first psot to include Fix 2 The Wined3d fix with a nice fast link.
I've played the game with WineD3D before and it worked fine, but with the version you linked in your post, it crashes right at the start. Any ideas what the issue might be? Obviously I use the GOG version. I tried with the original .exe files and the ones from your archive.
nsg15: Okay guys updated the first psot to include Fix 2 The Wined3d fix with a nice fast link.
Moehrensalat: I've played the game with WineD3D before and it worked fine, but with the version you linked in your post, it crashes right at the start. Any ideas what the issue might be? Obviously I use the GOG version. I tried with the original .exe files and the ones from your archive.
If nsg15 took the WineD3D from my post
http://www.gog.com/forum/star_wars_dark_forces_series/jedi_knight_mots_hardware_acceleration_graphic_patches_for_all/post81

then it's not compatible with XP. You need this version
http://www.speedyshare.com/j5aCd/ddraw.zip
The files in the initial post didn't work for me at all. I only got a black screen with some white objects. The alternative files crashed my windows, and set my desktop to 640x480 in 8bit mode.

So re-arranging all my icons now and not a great fan of this "fix" so far..
Pantalaimon.815: The files in the initial post didn't work for me at all. I only got a black screen with some white objects. The alternative files crashed my windows, and set my desktop to 640x480 in 8bit mode.

So re-arranging all my icons now and not a great fan of this "fix" so far..
Does your hardware support DX10.1/DX11? That's a caveat a lot of people miss, since this is a wrapper for that

Also, if you kill explorer.exe and restart it, the icons will be restored to their last saved positions (and they are saved by Windows whenever you cleanly shutdown, if that doesn't work you can do a hard reset to do it)
Post edited February 07, 2015 by Tarvis
Thank you! The Wine3d solution worked form with R9 280 on Win 8.1.

Cheers!
Tarvis: Also, if you kill explorer.exe and restart it, the icons will be restored to their last saved positions (and they are saved by Windows whenever you cleanly shutdown, if that doesn't work you can do a hard reset to do it)
Oh really? That's actually a neat trick, thanks!

As for JK: I had another look, and it seems it was already working for me. I thought the patch would fix the apparently hardcoded 30fps limit with hardware acceleration (though this limit doesn't seem to exist with the software renderer).

Almost through with the game by now, forgot how much fun it was :)
I just want to give my thanks for the work done. The original set of patches have so far worked fine for my setup that has a r9 270. I was having problems getting this game to run well back when I had win xp but now way later it runs perfectly.
Post edited February 10, 2015 by Gorion.832
Pantalaimon.815: As for JK: I had another look, and it seems it was already working for me. I thought the patch would fix the apparently hardcoded 30fps limit with hardware acceleration (though this limit doesn't seem to exist with the software renderer).
It does. But vsync doesn't affect it, so the framerate is closer to 300. The game is capped to 150 in that case, but you can't tell because it's way above 60Hz

You'll notice the first person animations spaz out though
The WineD3D dll files linked in the first post, dated July 05, 2013, worked very well for me, but only when used with GOG's provided jkm.exe. The one in the zip crashes upon launch.

My graphics card is an AMD Mobility Radeon 4500/5100, in a 2009 Dell Studio notebook running Windows 8.1.

Just out of curiosity, from what version of wine were they compiled?

I ask because I tried to use WineD3D before, from numerous versions available in sourceforge.net/projects/wined3d4win/ , but none of them worked, whereas the dlls provided in the first post worked very well.
Can someone re-post the zip file? It looks like the site in the OP is currently down.
oddworldlover: The WineD3D dll files linked in the first post, dated July 05, 2013, worked very well for me, but only when used with GOG's provided jkm.exe. The one in the zip crashes upon launch.

My graphics card is an AMD Mobility Radeon 4500/5100, in a 2009 Dell Studio notebook running Windows 8.1.

Just out of curiosity, from what version of wine were they compiled?

I ask because I tried to use WineD3D before, from numerous versions available in sourceforge.net/projects/wined3d4win/ , but none of them worked, whereas the dlls provided in the first post worked very well.
IIRC it's 1.3.0.

New versions of WinD3D are problematic for the following reason.

By putting the dll files into the game directory wines ddraw.dll replaces Microsofts. Wine uses OpenGL however Microsoft didn't properly implement certain functions in Opengl32.dll but instead emulates them through ddraw.

So the game calls ddraw.dll (Wine), ddraw.dll (Wine) calls Opengl32.dll, Opengl32.dll calls ddraw.dll (Wine), ddraw.dll (Wine) calls Opengl32.dll and so on resulting in an infinite loop.

Apparently these functions are not used in older versions of Wine. For some reason you can make new versions of WineD3D work by using 256 color compatibility mode however this causes issues with certain games.