It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
2022-12 update: This guide for restoring the vanilla game can be largely considered obsolete, in favour of the OpenJKDF2 project, which reimplements and enhances the game for modern machines.

----------------

These are the steps I have taken for my installation (June 2018). I have not included any remodelling/retexturing mods. Please follow instructions provided with downloads. I have added instructions where necessary.

N.B. I have not yet tested with MotS.

1. Install latest version (GOG.com: v1.01, MotS v1.0)

2. Patch remastered music:
Dark Forces 2 Soundtrack (Vorbis).zip
(by mwnn; via Jedi Knight; Dark Forces 2 - Improved Music and other goodies!, page 1 - Forum - GOG.com)

3. Patch levels (mipmapping removed):
High Detail Mod for Jedi Knight DF2 & MotS.zip
(by Osprey; via High Detail Mod for Jedi Knight DF2 & MotS - PCGamingWiki Community)

4. Install dgVoodoo 2 (Direct3D renderer):
dgVoodoo2_<latest>.zip
(by Dege; via Dege's stuffs)

N.B. If using an AMD card, then textures may not render correctly. In these cases, the issue may be alleviated by setting "Output API" to "Direct3D 12" (v2.7, onwards). Alternatively, one may utilise versions up to dgVoodoo2 v2.54 in "Direct3D 11" mode.

Instructions:
Copy D3DImm.dll, DDraw.dll and dgVoodooCpl.exe to game directory.

Suggested config modifications:
Under "General" tab
* check Inherit Color Profile in full screen mode
Under "DirectX" tab
* set VRAM to 128 MB
* set Filtering to Force anisotropic 16x
* set Antialiasing (MSAA) to 8x
* check Apply Phong shading when possible
* uncheck dgVoodoo Watermark

I found that dgVoodoo 2 performed poorly when the scaling mode was set to stretched. YMMV. You might try adjusting your GPU driver's scaling options, if necessary.

N.B. Ensure "Enable 3d Acceleration" is checked in the display settings. Also, ensure "[HW] Direct3D HAL" is selected in the advanced display settings. Select an appropriate display resolution at 16bpp.

== Optional ==

5. Enable 3D spatial sound:
This will enable 3D sound via Aureal A3D emulation. Best suited to headphones.

_5a. Install Aureal A3D drivers:
A3D-Alchemy-Setup.zip
(by Osprey; via VOGONS • View topic - Unreal A3D?)

Instructions:
1. Run setup; choose "Only extract the files"
2. Copy a3d_nosplash.dll and a3dapi.dll to SysWOW64
3. Rename a3d_nosplash.dll to a3d.dll

_5b. Install DSOAL drivers
True 3D Sound for Headphones (HRTF mod) 1.31a.zip
(by I Drink Lava; via DSOAL - True 3D Sound for Headphones (HRTF mod))

Instructions:
1. Duplicate dsound.dll, rename as a3dsnd.dll
2. Move renamed a3dsnd.dll to SysWOW64
3. Copy dsound.dll, dsoal-aldrv.dll and alsoft.ini to game directory (yes, two distinct copies of dsound.dll are needed)

N.B. Ensure "Enable A3D Sound" is checked in the sound settings.

6. Install keymap by KingSyphilis:
modern by KingSyphilis.ctl

Instructions:
Copy to 'Controls' directory (note: not tested with MotS).

Bindings of interest:
Jump Space
Duck Left Control
Fast Left Shift
Slow Left Alt
Activate E
Lightsaber R
Next Inventory Item V
Prev Inventory Item C
Use Inventory Item Q
Next Weapon H
Prev Weapon G
Next Force Power X
Prev Force Power Z
Use Force Power F

Mouse Z Axis/Wheel unset (see below)
Mouse Button 1 Fire 1
Mouse Button 2 Fire 2
Mouse Button 3 Camera Mode

7. Install Mouse Wheel Bindings:
w̶h̶e̶e̶l̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶y̶.̶z̶i̶p̶ mirror
(by Sige; via JK Hub - Addons - JK Mousewheel Support)

For example, if using the above keymap, you might bind up to "H" and down to "G".

8. Install/apply framerate limiter (cap at 30 FPS):
E.g. RTSS Rivatuner Statistics Server or dgVoodoo 2.

Dreadmoth suggests capping at 47 FPS (this is the approximate framerate of first person animations). Though, in my testing, I've found the game engine consistently maintains only ~30 FPS.

Update: I have confirmed through testing that the game only functions correctly at 30 FPS. Any other framerate will negatively impact physics.

9. Update to unofficial patch (Osprey's 2018 pre-patch variant):
Jedi Knight DF2 & MotS Unofficial Patches.zip
(by Osprey; via Jedi Knight DF2 & MotS Pre-patched Unofficial Patches - PCGamingWiki Community)

N.B. This may cause display issues if dgVoodoo 2 is installed; not necessarily recommended.

10. Increase FOV:
TODO. This will be desirable to most as the game is vert− in widescreen resolutions (FOV is hardcoded to 90 degrees horizontal). I modified the patched exe (from step 9) with a hex editor. I diff'ed DarthTrank's exe's as a guide. Ideally, a dynamic, user-friendly solution might be devised.

Please comment with any suggestions!
Post edited February 07, 2023 by KingSyphilis
KingSyphilis: Suggested config modifications:
Note that these can cause black screens or crashes for some. I highly recommend making sure the games work without forcing these first, and then trying to add AA and AF.
Good job on the list and providing all of the links.

I'm Osprey, BTW. I wish that I could change my username here, but I can't.

One thing that I'll add is that installing A3D Alchemy (or other A3D drivers, like A3D Live, which I borrowed from) may have no benefit unless you have more than two speakers. It won't give you surround sound from only two speakers, like A3D was originally capable of, since that requires an actual Aureal card. It might enable surround sound on surround sound speakers, if the game supports it, though. I'm not positive that Jedi Knight is one of them, but some A3D-supporting games in the late 90s supported surround sound speakers, but only through the A3D drivers. A3D Alchemy installs those drivers, along with drivers that translate the instructions into DirectSound, so that the games think that A3D support is available and allow you to turn it on in the game. That's another thing to note: after installing A3D Alchemy, you'll still need to go into the sound options in Jedi Knight and enable A3D. It might enable positional sound from your rear speakers and is worth trying if you own them, but is a step that may be skipped if you don't have rear speakers. Part of the reason why I never officially released it is that I don't have a surround sound setup at the moment, which makes it a little tough to test and then make claims about what it can do for different users and different games.
KingSyphilis: Suggested config modifications:
SirYodaJedi: Note that these can cause black screens or crashes for some. I highly recommend making sure the games work without forcing these first, and then trying to add AA and AF.
Thanks for the advice! Indeed, the menus do not render correctly for me. Menu screens are initially black until I navigate to an option on the current screen, and rendering seems to draw the screen one step behind its current state. I will investigate further.
jnisbet: Good job on the list and providing all of the links.

I'm Osprey, BTW. I wish that I could change my username here, but I can't.

One thing that I'll add is that installing A3D Alchemy (or other A3D drivers, like A3D Live, which I borrowed from) may have no benefit unless you have more than two speakers. It won't give you surround sound from only two speakers, like A3D was originally capable of, since that requires an actual Aureal card. It might enable surround sound on surround sound speakers, if the game supports it, though. I'm not positive that Jedi Knight is one of them, but some A3D-supporting games in the late 90s supported surround sound speakers, but only through the A3D drivers. A3D Alchemy installs those drivers, along with drivers that translate the instructions into DirectSound, so that the games think that A3D support is available and allow you to turn it on in the game. That's another thing to note: after installing A3D Alchemy, you'll still need to go into the sound options in Jedi Knight and enable A3D. It might enable positional sound from your rear speakers and is worth trying if you own them, but is a step that may be skipped if you don't have rear speakers. Part of the reason why I never officially released it is that I don't have a surround sound setup at the moment, which makes it a little tough to test and then make claims about what it can do for different users and different games.
Thanks for your response. I'll make a note about using surround speakers.

BTW, you may be able to change your username if you contact the support team.
KingSyphilis: These are the steps I have taken for my installation (June 2018). I have not included any remodelling/retexturing mods. Please follow instructions provided with downloads. I have added instructions where necessary.

N.B. I have not yet tested with MotS.

1. Install latest version (GOG.com: v1.01, MotS v1.0)

2. Update to unofficial patch (Osprey's 2018 pre-patch variant):
Jedi Knight DF2 & MotS Unofficial Patches.zip (via Jedi Knight DF2 & MotS Pre-patched Unofficial Patches - PCGamingWiki Community)

3. Patch remastered music by mwnn:
Dark Forces 2 Soundtrack (Vorbis).zip (via Jedi Knight; Dark Forces 2 - Improved Music and other goodies!, page 1 - Forum - GOG.com)

4. Patch levels (mipmapping removed) by Osprey:
High Detail Mod for Jedi Knight DF2 & MotS.zip (via High Detail Mod for Jedi Knight DF2 & MotS - PCGamingWiki Community)

5. Install dgVooDoo2 (Direct3D renderer) by Dege:
dgVoodoo2_XX.zip

(via Dege's stuffs)

Instructions:
Copy D3DImm.dll, DDraw.dll and dgVoodooCpl.exe to game directory.

Suggested config modifications:
Under "General" tab
* check Inherit Color Profile in full screen mode
Under "DirectX" tab
* set VRAM to 128 MB
* check Apply Phong shading when possible
* uncheck dgVoodoo Watermark

I found that dgVoodoo performed poorly when the scaling mode was set to stretched. YMMV. You might try adjusting your GPU driver's scaling options, if necessary.

N.B. Ensure "Enable 3d Acceleration" is checked in the display settings. Also, ensure "[HW] Direct3D HAL" is selected in the advanced display settings. Select an appropriate display resolution at 16bpp.

== Optional ==

6. Install A3D Alchemy (positional audio driver) by Osprey:
A3D-Alchemy-Setup.zip

(via VOGONS • View topic - Unreal A3D?)

This driver may only be useful if:
* You're using an A3D certified sound card (circa 2000 or prior; here is a list of known cards), or
* You desire A3D software emulation (quadraphonic (4.0) surround or higher only) ― N.B. I can not yet confirm whether JK: DF II is surround sound compatible.

N.B. Ensure "Enable A3D Sound" is checked in the sound settings.

7. Install keymap by KingSyphilis:
modern by KingSyphilis.ctl

Instructions:
Copy to 'Controls' directory (note: not tested with MotS).

Bindings of interest:
Jump Space
Duck Left Control
Fast Left Shift
Slow Left Alt
Activate E
Next Inventory Item V
Prev Inventory Item C
Use Inventory Item Q
Next Weapon H
Prev Weapon G
Next Force Power X
Prev Force Power Z
Use Force Power F

Mouse Z Axis/Wheel unset (see below)
Mouse Button 1 Fire 1
Mouse Button 2 Fire 2
Mouse Button 3 Camera Mode

8. Install Mouse Wheel Bindings by Sige:
wheelthingy.zip

(via JK Hub - Addons - JK Mousewheel Support)

For example, if using the above keymap, you might bind up to "H" and down to "G".

9. Install/apply framerate limiter (cap at 47 FPS):
E.g. RTSS Rivatuner Statistics Server
I followed Dreadmoth's instructions. YMMV.

10. Increase FOV:
TODO. This will be desirable to most as the game is vert- in widescreen resolutions (FOV is hardcoded to 90 degrees horizontal). I modified the patched exe (from step 2) with a hex editor. I diff'ed DarthTrank's exe's as a guide. Ideally, a dynamic, user-friendly solution might be devised.

Please comment with any suggestions!
Thanks alot for the instructions. I finally got it to work. Do you think you could re-upload the modern keymap, the link seems to be dead.
My saviour, many many thanks!!!

How can I ajust to see the entire weapon (in 1920x1080), like in 1024x768 resolution... because in 4:3 resolutions I can see the entire weapon, not just a small piece of it ... (if you can undestand what I say, please help me)
vikingblood: How can I ajust to see the entire weapon (in 1920x1080), like in 1024x768 resolution... because in 4:3 resolutions I can see the entire weapon, not just a small piece of it ... (if you can undestand what I say, please help me)
I guess you're talking about something like this: http://jkdf2.net/index.php?page=ProjectDisplay&pid=96
KingSyphilis: These are the steps I have taken for my installation (June 2018). I have not included any remodelling/retexturing mods. Please follow instructions provided with downloads. I have added instructions where necessary.
helixx: Thanks alot for the instructions. I finally got it to work. Do you think you could re-upload the modern keymap, the link seems to be dead.
Keymap has been re-hosted.
vikingblood: How can I ajust to see the entire weapon (in 1920x1080), like in 1024x768 resolution... because in 4:3 resolutions I can see the entire weapon, not just a small piece of it ... (if you can undestand what I say, please help me)
Berzerk2002: I guess you're talking about something like this: http://jkdf2.net/index.php?page=ProjectDisplay&pid=96
Perfect, exactly =) MANY thanks =)
I remember there was also a mod that allowed for better 3D models for the characters and swapped the in-game model for Kyle Katarn with one that actually looked like the actor in the cutscenes, but I used it about a decade ago.
For anyone reading, the OpenJKDF2 project is presently the easiest (and arguably best) way to run this game on modern machines. In recent months, it has almost reached feature-parity with the vanilla binary. Additionally, it has an extensive list of modern QoL improvements.

P̶l̶e̶a̶s̶e̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶O̶p̶e̶n̶J̶K̶D̶F̶2̶ ̶c̶u̶r̶r̶e̶n̶t̶l̶y̶ ̶h̶a̶s̶ ̶r̶e̶p̶o̶r̶t̶s̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶i̶s̶s̶u̶e̶s̶ ̶w̶h̶i̶l̶e̶ ̶r̶u̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶M̶o̶t̶S̶ ̶e̶x̶p̶a̶n̶s̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶c̶a̶m̶p̶a̶i̶g̶n̶.̶ These have apparently since been fixed.
Post edited December 23, 2022 by KingSyphilis
I have OpenJKDF2 installed. Wondering how do you fix the FPS issues?....doesn't matter what number i decide to choose, Nothing changes.
Guessing this is a port using the Quake III engine because it causes instant nausea/pressure headache for me within a few minutes just like Quake III does. All I can say is thank goodness I have a W98 PC I can fall back on where the game works as intended with the Sith engine.
charlemagne1980: Guessing this is a port using the Quake III engine because it causes instant nausea/pressure headache for me within a few minutes just like Quake III does. All I can say is thank goodness I have a W98 PC I can fall back on where the game works as intended with the Sith engine.
Huh, are you talking about OpenJKDF2?

> OpenJKDF2 is a function-by-function reimplementation of DF2 in C, with 64-bit ports to Windows 7+, macOS 10.15+, and Linux.

I can only guess your issue is related to perceived motion (frame rate?). OpenJKDF2 supports arbitrary frame rates, whereas the original really only supports 30 FPS.