It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Hey guys,

I've heard that SR1 wasn't available anymore (whether on gog, steam or other stores) due to some mp3 stuff. I used to have the physical version but lost it a while ago.

Is there any way to get the game at all (that is not ridiculously expensive)?

Thanks !
Crevette555: Hey guys,

I've heard that SR1 wasn't available anymore (whether on gog, steam or other stores) due to some mp3 stuff. I used to have the physical version but lost it a while ago.

Is there any way to get the game at all (that is not ridiculously expensive)?

Thanks !
Legally its going to be difficult, but due to the game's cult status I think it's quite likely that you'll be able to get it online via other means. (but I would install it on something without personal information or that you dont mind getting infected, as most of said downloads come pre-packed with viruses)
Post edited April 14, 2019 by an0018
ebay has a few copies, this is one I just found after a brief search:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Space-Rangers-PC-2005-SEALED/183769593691

Kind of surprised at how difficult these are to source. I purchased a retail version several years back published by Excalibur Publishing (which contains Space Rangers 1 & 2), but I had quite a bit of difficulty getting Space Rangers 2 to work with the HD mod (I wasn't aware that Space Rangers 1 had a HD mod at the time). In the end I used another online version that I had purchased from stardock that worked with the mod.

Fast forward to several months ago and just out of curiosity I tried newer versions of the HD mod (for space rangers 1 & 2) and it turns out that my retail copy of SR1 & 2 from Excalibur publishing can now work with the newer versions of the HD mods. Apparently the HD mod tool detects the Excalibur version of SR1 & 2 as a GOG version, whereas the previous HD mod versions didn't detect the correct version of this retail copy and hence wouldn't install.

Unfortunately the DVD provided by Excalibur Publishing is simply a burned version (not pressed), so I've recently made a full archival/install-able backup on to Mitsubishi Gold Archival media just in case the original becomes unreadable in the near future.

EDIT:
That's weird, the link I applied appears to be Space Rangers 2. If you read the back of the game however it does come with Space Rangers 1.

I looked at a few other ebay links, but they all appear to be Space Rangers 2 (With Space Rangers 1 included as a bonus). Sorry about that, seems Space Rangers 1 by itself is probably pretty rare.
Post edited April 16, 2019 by Jamie.monro