It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

For those who use Linux as your daily gaming driver, here is a short instruction manual how to make SC 3000 run in resolutions up to 4K. First of all, I am running a Win version of the game under Lutris. I can't recommend Lutris enough - it is the easiest way to install GOG games under Linux even if you don't know much about Linux and or Wine at all. If someone is tired of Microsoft's shenanigans and wants to try Linux but is worried about not being able to play their favourite Win GOG games under Linux, this is the way to go.

Back to SC 3000 then - The patch I am using can be downloaded from here - https://tetration.github.io/Simcity3000_Modding_Revival/scu3HD_patch.html

You may notice the site saying that Linux version is coming soon, well, do not take that too literally, it's been up there at least for a couple of years now.

So, now I assume you've installed SC 3000 Unlimited under Lutris. First what you need is install Python 2.7 in your SC3000 wine prefix - easy enough to do through Winetricks, just scroll down to Python 2.7 in the "install a DLL or Windows component" dialogue.

Once this is done, extract the python script from the archive downloaded from the patch link above and place the SC3U_HD_patch.py file into the Apps folder in your SC3000 game folder.

Next, open a windows command line shell in Lutris wine pop up menu (Open Wine console) and navigate to the Apps folder - in my case "cd drive_c\GOG Games\SimCity 3000 Unlimited\Apps"

Now type "python SCU3_HD_patch.py" and enter. If all went well it will show a success message. Close the console and run the game, you should now have all available resolutions to choose from in the in game settings menu.

Hope this may have helped somebody.
Post edited June 04, 2021 by ylod111
Question: Is there a python 3 version of the script for those of us running systems where Python 2 has been sunset?
Darvond: Question: Is there a python 3 version of the script for those of us running systems where Python 2 has been sunset?
Yup, there are two folders in the patch - Python 2 and Python 3, and a corresponding script under each one.
I just thought I'd do a slight update - in latest version of Lutris/Wine you need to have DGVoodoo turned on, at least I do (Mint 21.3), otherwise the game will run but the screen will go black.

Now I seem to have trouble running the python script, there is an error message about file not found and the exe file is not patched. I tried various approaches installing both 32 and 64 bit Python to no avail.

Luckily I found a great tool in this thread - https://www.gog.com/forum/simcity_series/simcity_3000_high_resolutions/?search=patcher. It is very easy to use, just follow the instructions on the website. Run it through "run EXE in this Wine prefix" dialogue in SimCity 3000 tab in Lutris, it finds the default installation location automatically and click yes to patch.

Once that's done you now get to choose your desktop resolution in the in-game preference settings. However, if you are running modern GPU, anything that is less than 10 years old that is, you will probably get massive coil whine especially when max zoomed out in the game. I found that happens because on new hardware the game runs at about a million FPS. What you need is a FPS limiter or VSync enabled. It is not as easy to do in Lutris, since it does not contain the full DGVoodoo settings options anywhere visible, only the on and off switch in settings. You need to search for dgVoodoo.conf file in the SimCity wine prefix (in my case - /home/USER/Games/gog/simcity-3000/drive_c/users/steamuser/AppData/Roaming/dgVoodoo/dgVoodoo.conf) and edit the file. Just add "ForceVerticalSync = true" under [DirectX] options and save. Run SimCity and et voila, coil whine is gone!

Enjoy this still wonderful game!