It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Has anyone been able to play this game on Linux with Wine? When I try wine CivConquests3.exe from the Conquests folder, I get a big error message starting with

0009:err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {5959df60-2911-11d1-b049-0020af30269a} not registered
0009:err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {5959df60-2911-11d1-b049-0020af30269a} could be created for context 0x1
wine: Unhandled page fault on write access to 0000001C at address 69538C44 (thread 0009), starting debugger...
Unhandled exception: page fault on write access to 0x0000001c in 32-bit code (0x69538c44).
With great care.

Have a look here.

Or here.
I didn't buy the game (I'm here to check if it works under linux) but on winehq, someone reported it as bronze.

I can't post links but it's at

They don't mention any particular trick.

The older test results says (among other things):

Game only supports low, 4:3 full-screen resolutions

So you may want to try that (maybe enabling virtual desktop mode in 800x600 or something like that.

The entry for the steam version mentions:

"Doesn't work out of the box: intro plays just fine, but after it ends (or when it's skipped) screen resizes and freezes. I've added "PlayIntro=0" to the bottom of steamapps/Sid Meier's Civilization III Complete/Conquests/conquests.ini file, which has solved this issue. However, sound is off. Infinite loops, stuttering, sometimes music just stops playing. Couldn't figure out how to fix that."

I'm interested if you manage to make it work under linux!
I have it running on linux using wine. (resolution 2560 x 1440)
Not that it should make a difference, I use openSUSE linux.

Currently I am using wine version 7.12 and upgrade as newer wine versions become available.

I installed Civ3 in a 32 bit wine prefix (uses windows 7)

Initially, I had the "black terrain" problem.

I fixed this by renaming the symlink (located in /usr/lib) "" to "not_necessary"

The command I used to rename it
"sudo mv -i /usr/lib/ /usr/lib/not_necessary"

Actually, I wrote 2 short bash scripts 1 renames "" to "not_necessary" and another to rename "not_necessary" to ""

The only problem I have is I do not have sound. However, I do not have sound when I run Civ3 in Windows 7.
I am running the CCM2 mod and installed it by coping the files from the windows 7 install to the linux version which may be the cause of the "no sound" problem.
Post edited July 07, 2022 by JoeAboveAverage