It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I just got the Spring windows 10 update to version 1803, and now all the video interludes, and the opening video, stutter. Doesn't effect game play, but it means watching the videos is impossible,

Has anyone found a way around this?
No posts in this topic were marked as the solution yet. If you can help, add your reply
My favorite game all time. Same problem with video here too but found no answer yet... shame, been playing it just fine till that damn update...
Just ran into this problem. It's the Windows update? Bloody hell.
Well I think I found an easy fix after doing some research on the internet.

In settings, go to "gaming" and turn off all the background recording of video and audio. I found recording in "gamebar" and "gamedvr". For me this has fixed the opening video sequences. Haven't had a chance to see if the in game video is fixed.

Credit to

https://www.whatech.com/computer-repairs/blog/435492-fix-games-stuttering-issues-on-windows-10

quote: In Gaming Settings:
On Windows 10, settings for Xbox, Game bar, Game DVR and Game mode are new, but they may also cause serious stuttering in all games with fps drops dramatically.
Turn these settings off to see if it can help improve your gaming performance.

Well, the first time I started the game, it was fine, but the next time the video is stuttering again. :(
Post edited June 29, 2018 by geoff12345
I changed the compatibility settings to run the game in Windows 7 mode and that seems to have solved it. (But I thought I had solved it before!)

But after starting and restarting the game a few times the problem is back.
Post edited July 02, 2018 by geoff12345
The strange thing is that it isn't all videos, just some. about 40% work fine and tyhe other 60% go down to single frames... very strange...
Well I am baffled... I have the xbox settings disabled, and I also tried the compatibility mode with no success... sigh... Any other suggestions?
Last Windows update also devastated the load time of my laptop. When will i ever learn to disable windows update? Useless F-ing thing.

Back when it was less complicated to find and disable windows update, i used to always disable it and then update once a year.... That system worked fantastic.

But with newer operating systems it gets harder and harder to F-en find ANYTHING and i just gave up disabling updates (if its even possible at all?).

If ever they released a windows 98 but with the brains of the newer operating systems but having the same UI/file system/access options of 98, i would be all over it! Being able to find settings and options in a coherent file system, just imagine that???? AMAZING
geoff12345: I changed the compatibility settings to run the game in Windows 7 mode and that seems to have solved it. (But I thought I had solved it before!)

But after starting and restarting the game a few times the problem is back.
Have you managed to find a fix yet? For me it is intermittant.... it will run fine for a few videos and tyhen once it starts hiccupping it keeps happening... sigh...

I've tried the xbox panel, the system settings, system priortization, setting compatibility to the playuv15.exe file and more... frustrating to no end, happens regardless which is upsetting me to no end...
Post edited July 19, 2018 by DarkZenith2
Have you managed to find a fix yet? For me it is intermittant.... it will run fine for a few videos and tyhen once it starts hiccupping it keeps happening... sigh...

No. It's intermittent. You change something, it seems like it's fixed, and then the problem comes back. Sometimes everything is fine, and sometimes not, so I 've given up trying to find a fix for the moment.
Is this something that GOG Support should look into? Has anyone contacted them?

(I haven't played Alpha Centauri in a while so I still don't know if I have this problem... But with Windows 10, it is expected).
I haven't contacted support. I went to the support page and read the article on what to do if you have problems with cut scenes, and it spoke of uninstalling the game and your codecs and it looked like a lot of work for what is, to me, a minor problem. It doesn't affect gameplay. If I knew for certain that uninstalling or changing codecs would fix it I would do it, but not just to see if it would work.
geoff12345: I just got the Spring windows 10 update to version 1803, and now all the video interludes, and the opening video, stutter. Doesn't effect game play, but it means watching the videos is impossible,

I've tried all of the things in all of the threads and am also having this problem on Win10 since Win10/1803 (last couple weeks or so)

Halp! :-*
geoff12345: I just got the Spring windows 10 update to version 1803, and now all the video interludes, and the opening video, stutter. Doesn't effect game play, but it means watching the videos is impossible,

austinwheat: I've tried all of the things in all of the threads and am also having this problem on Win10 since Win10/1803 (last couple weeks or so)

Halp! :-*
Same here. Some films work without a glitch, some stutter.
And all W10 recording options are turned off in the settings, a far as I can see.

Microsoft, what did you mess up this time?
Why the hell is this still a problem? FFS!!