It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Recently upgraded from High Sierra to Mojave, and Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri does not work anymore.
Is there a fix for that?

Thanks a lot.
MallaxOZ: Recently upgraded from High Sierra to Mojave, and Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri does not work anymore.
Is there a fix for that?

Thanks a lot.
Is there a fix for this: Doubtful. SMAC is a pure 32 bit application. You'd have a better chance trying to thread a camel though a needle than gaming on a Mac at this rate.

Maybe you could try running it though Wine yourself, but I'd have no idea how to facilitate that.
lots of games stopped working on mojave unfortunately ;/ personally I'm using paul the tall porting kit and so far everything working flawlessly, but tbh I thinking to get cheap windows 10 laptop just for gog gaming
MallaxOZ: Recently upgraded from High Sierra to Mojave, and Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri does not work anymore.
Is there a fix for that?

Thanks a lot.
Just spent an hour trying to fix it or find another way to play it. Was hoping I could get it to work on my MBA instead of my Windows Desktop (because playing SMAC in bed sounds like the best thing ever). Sadly, not to be.

Um. Yeah is there any chance this will be updated at some point for Mojave or should I just give up and play on Windows?
Is there a fix for that?

Thanks a lot.
craaazytaco: Just spent an hour trying to fix it or find another way to play it. Was hoping I could get it to work on my MBA instead of my Windows Desktop (because playing SMAC in bed sounds like the best thing ever). Sadly, not to be.

Um. Yeah is there any chance this will be updated at some point for Mojave or should I just give up and play on Windows?
Hello all,
i managed to get it working by modifying an option in the Wineskin.app inside the main app of the game.
It's pretty easy:
Go to Applications in Finder, right click on Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri Planetary Pack.app, choose Show Package Contents, and then double click on Wineskin.app. Then go to Advanced -> Options and check the last option: Force use of system installed XQuartz... and the close the app.
It works for me, good luck!
Thanks for this. I'm running 10.13.6 and used your method. It sorta worked. I got to the pop up allowing the selection of AC or ACrossfire. Then I was asked to Allow XQuartz. It started the intro video. I hit escape to get to the main menu, but the screen turned and stayed black. The music was playing and the screen resolution was square shaped. I could move the cursor to the edges. Sadly, the only way out of the program was to shutdown the computer.

Then I let the movie play through. It backed out to another pop up asking me to Allow XQuartz to change the screen resolution. I did, and I go the the menu screen and selected a new game. It started and worked! I've been sad for months!!!

I'll try later to see if I can skip the video.
craaazytaco: Just spent an hour trying to fix it or find another way to play it. Was hoping I could get it to work on my MBA instead of my Windows Desktop (because playing SMAC in bed sounds like the best thing ever). Sadly, not to be.

cocispetra: Hello all,
i managed to get it working by modifying an option in the Wineskin.app inside the main app of the game.
It's pretty easy:
Go to Applications in Finder, right click on Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri Planetary Pack.app, choose Show Package Contents, and then double click on Wineskin.app. Then go to Advanced -> Options and check the last option: Force use of system installed XQuartz... and the close the app.
It works for me, good luck!
Post edited July 28, 2019 by crowdsourced
crowdsourced: Thanks for this. I'm running 10.13.6 and used your method. It sorta worked. I got to the pop up allowing the selection of AC or ACrossfire. Then I was asked to Allow XQuartz. It started the intro video. I hit escape to get to the main menu, but the screen turned and stayed black. The music was playing and the screen resolution was square shaped. I could move the cursor to the edges. Sadly, the only way out of the program was to shutdown the computer.

Then I let the movie play through. It backed out to another pop up asking me to Allow XQuartz to change the screen resolution. I did, and I go the the menu screen and selected a new game. It started and worked! I've been sad for months!!!

I'll try later to see if I can skip the video.
Glad to help. In my case (OSX 10.14.5), i can skip the video safely. XQuartz does not pop up at all, not sure where the difference comes from.

It's still a bit frustrating because i cannot make the num pad keys to work, and i have to move the units with the mouse (go to mode), but it's playable.
I just tried the idea of cocispetra (thank you!)... sadly, I still cannot open the game on my 10.14.5...

Playing around with other options (e.g. screen resolution, color depth) and other mystic settings has not helped so far...

I would love to be able to play SMAC/SMAX again, it's one of my all-time favorites.
Just wanted to say it works without problems on Mac OS Mojave 10.14.6
I bought the game few days ago and also installed the Yitzi's patch.

Maybe try to completely uninstall the agme (and delete all related files) and reinstall it properly?