It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Just installed this game for some joyful nostalgia, and, after seeing this post, it's true that not all heroes wear capes. *tips hat*
Draxinusom2: Note that if you're running Windows 7, the location of the working copy of Alpha Centauri.ini is in

C:\Users\(user name)\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\GOGcom\Sid Meiers Alpha Centauri

and NOT in C:\Program Files (x86)\GOGcom\Sid Meiers Alpha Centauri.

You will find an AlphaCentauri.ini in both locations but only the one in your AppData will be used! You can check this easily by saving a game and then when you open both ini's one will have the save game name in it, the other won't.
My Windows 7 stores the *.ini file in the installed game folder (in this case, an external drive), thus:
G:\Games\GOG\Sid Meier\Civs\Alpha Cenauri\Alpha Cenauri.Ini

As far as I can tell, there are no other copies of this file on my system; it is the file that was updated with save game names.

Perhaps you meant a different version of Windoze?
Draxinusom2: Note that if you're running Windows 7, the location of the working copy of Alpha Centauri.ini is in

C:\Users\(user name)\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\GOGcom\Sid Meiers Alpha Centauri

and NOT in C:\Program Files (x86)\GOGcom\Sid Meiers Alpha Centauri.

You will find an AlphaCentauri.ini in both locations but only the one in your AppData will be used! You can check this easily by saving a game and then when you open both ini's one will have the save game name in it, the other won't.
scientiae: My Windows 7 stores the *.ini file in the installed game folder (in this case, an external drive), thus:
G:\Games\GOG\Sid Meier\Civs\Alpha Cenauri\Alpha Cenauri.Ini

As far as I can tell, there are no other copies of this file on my system; it is the file that was updated with save game names.

Perhaps you meant a different version of Windoze?
I think it relates to where you install the game. One is in the default location - program files... - the other is in a custom location - g:\games. I've read that it's best to install older games in a custom location - all mine are.
geoff12345: I think it relates to where you install the game. One is in the default location - program files... - the other is in a custom location - g:\games. I've read that it's best to install older games in a custom location - all mine are.
Good to know. :)
Good stuff, on top of my screen being 1080P it's also 27", it really benefits from increase of resolution, even if it means a lot of dead space on screen :)

Many thanks!

(and gog.com should include this in their game, if nothing, just as a note)
i have lower resolution than you but i might try this one
I'm playing on a widescreen HDTV (3840 x 2160) and I have the same .ini file setup as seen above.

I think the top part of the game display is actually poking off the top of my TV screen. I can open up the F4 base list, but when I sort by top production, the top production base is off the top of the screen.

What can I do to make the screen fit my TV resolution?
Thanks. The tip works when running Alpha Centuari in Wine on Linux as well.

I can run the game in 1920x1080 with just minor issues:
* unused areas to the left and right of the HUD
* some pop-up dialogs are off-center
* sometimes part of the explored map goes missing (becomes black), but then you just scroll a little to make it visible again.
I'm still having this issue where the screen "cuts off" a bit below the top, so things like the Base List F4 menu and the Science List F2 menu cannot be seen.

I've attached a screenshot.

I'm playing on a widescreen HDTV (3840 x 2160) and I have the same .ini file setup as seen in the first post of this thread.

What can I do to make the screen fit my TV resolution?
Attachments: