It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Kaplau93: -snip-
THANK YOU! Came back to this game after a number of years and ran into the same problem. Windows 8.1 system, version 1.04 - I tracked the issue down to the Reduced Color Mode option under Compatibility. Turning it off let the videos play, but with very bad lag. Turning it on (16-bit) got rid of the lag but the videos were audio-only.

The combination that finally worked for me was replacing ddraw.dll with the dgvoodoo2 version and the video files with the updated ones originally provided by SilveryCorgan. Used GoronMegaZord's mirror. Starting and ingame videos are now working fine.

I've run into a different (much smaller) problem though. The new ddraw forces the game to scale to my desktop resolution regardless of compatibility settings, and the graphics deteriorate a lot when stretched to fit modern monitor dimensions. If anyone knows a fix for this, I'd like very much to hear it.
Perillus: I've run into a different (much smaller) problem though. The new ddraw forces the game to scale to my desktop resolution regardless of compatibility settings, and the graphics deteriorate a lot when stretched to fit modern monitor dimensions. If anyone knows a fix for this, I'd like very much to hear it.
Dgvoodoo2 does have aspect correction options, though it's kind of hidden. 2 different options to try with it. In the general tab of dgVoodooCpl.exe you can choose the scaling mode. It starts as Unspecified, but can be set to keep aspect correction. Alternatively, you can also go into the DirectX tab and choose one of the resolutions with ISF. Sometimes I find you have to manually set the Output API in the general tab to something other then "Best available one" for it to work.

If those don't work, the Statically Recomplied port of Septerra Core can be simply dropped into a vanilla install of Gog's Septerra Core and just works with proper aspect ratio already enabled by default. You can edit the included Septerra.cfg to enable fullscreen, change the resolution, enable v-sync and even fix mouse lag by reducing CPU consumption.

https://github.com/M-HT/SR
Or for the direct release: https://github.com/M-HT/SR/releases
There's a lot of conflicting info in this thread. So I decided to test the proposed solutions thoroughly, to see what exactly works.
My system: Windows 10, nvidia gpu (if it matters).

Default GOG install: the game starts, the movies play, but the mouse cursor is super choppy.
dgVoodoo2 wrapper: the game runs perfectly, but movies don't work
SR Septerra Core: same as default - the game is choppy, but not as bad - still unplayable in my opinion. BUT, if you change CPU_SleepMode to nosleep in septerra.cfg - the game runs perfectly. I also had the best results with vsync turned on. Without vsync the game would lag after the combat.

I was unable to test the original proposed solution, as the links are dead.
Hope that helps.
Post edited January 07, 2022 by Rakimou
Rakimou: There's a lot of conflicting info in this thread. So I decided to test the proposed solutions thoroughly, to see what exactly works.
My system: Windows 10, nvidia gpu (if it matters).

Default GOG install: the game starts, the movies play, but the mouse cursor is super choppy.
dgVoodoo2 wrapper: the game runs perfectly, but movies don't work
SR Septerra Core: same as default - the game is choppy, but not as bad - still unplayable in my opinion. BUT, if you change CPU_SleepMode to nosleep in septerra.cfg - the game runs perfectly. I also had the best results with vsync turned on. Without vsync the game would lag after the combat.

I was unable to test the original proposed solution, as the links are dead.
Hope that helps.
Where do I make the change to CPU_SleepMode
iich0senii: Where do I make the change to CPU_SleepMode
Look for Septerra.cfg in your installation (ex - "C:\Program Files (x86)\GOG Games\Septerra Core\" >> find "Septerra.cfg")

Open in Notepad or equivalent (I use Notepad++) and look to the bottom for the CPU_SleepMode trigger.
Silvery-Corgan: Hello,

I found a solution for the game to run on Windows 10. Please make this post sticky.

After installing the game, you need to remove all .avi files from the installation dir as well as "ddraw.dll" and "QuickTime.qts".

Download the following file. It contains the movies and the QT fix: mega.nz/#!tB80ULaS!W0DyyPzWa3lS7in_ko7L3lgckNcY0MMLf-VXXxRIM-I

Replace the .DB files in the installation dir with the ones from my archive.

Place the files inside the archive "QT4.zip" into your C:\Windows\SysWOW64 (Or C:\Windows\System32 if you have 32 bits Windows)

You will find "QT4.zip" in my uploaded archive.

Conclusion: Videos work and there is no stuttering. It's like back in '99 when the game was released.

PS: I'm not allowed to publish full links here. You'll need to copy the link into your browser to access the file hosted at mega. I've scanned the file with Virustotal and it's clean:

virustotal.com/en/file/806b27d23ca0c17d7fd4b502de6690c335fdbea10a8523390ac27b647730ebb4/analysis/1448203864/
I know I'm a little late to the party here, but can we get your Mega link reactivated/reuploaded, please? I'm dying to replay Septerra Core for the first time since its launch, but the lag on Win10 is just killing me.
Silvery-Corgan: Hello,

I found a solution for the game to run on Windows 10. Please make this post sticky.

After installing the game, you need to remove all .avi files from the installation dir as well as "ddraw.dll" and "QuickTime.qts".

Download the following file. It contains the movies and the QT fix: mega.nz/#!tB80ULaS!W0DyyPzWa3lS7in_ko7L3lgckNcY0MMLf-VXXxRIM-I

Replace the .DB files in the installation dir with the ones from my archive.

Place the files inside the archive "QT4.zip" into your C:\Windows\SysWOW64 (Or C:\Windows\System32 if you have 32 bits Windows)

You will find "QT4.zip" in my uploaded archive.

Conclusion: Videos work and there is no stuttering. It's like back in '99 when the game was released.

PS: I'm not allowed to publish full links here. You'll need to copy the link into your browser to access the file hosted at mega. I've scanned the file with Virustotal and it's clean:

virustotal.com/en/file/806b27d23ca0c17d7fd4b502de6690c335fdbea10a8523390ac27b647730ebb4/analysis/1448203864/
DaveBarcen: I know I'm a little late to the party here, but can we get your Mega link reactivated/reuploaded, please? I'm dying to replay Septerra Core for the first time since its launch, but the lag on Win10 is just killing me.
https://anonfiles.com/X4RcIdp0yf/Septerra_Core_Fix_7z
or
https://www35.zippyshare.com/v/rj5o0Y0P/file.html

Links on my old post have been updated
https://www.gog.com/forum/septerra_core_legacy_of_the_creator/fix_for_windows_10_works_100/post42

other then no DRM the GoG version of this game is not that great. The steam version not only gives you the QT files in a folder and installs them for you they even have higher Quality DB video files that have been uploaded by Silvery-Corgan years ago
Post edited June 18, 2022 by Beasty_Donald
DaveBarcen: I know I'm a little late to the party here, but can we get your Mega link reactivated/reuploaded, please? I'm dying to replay Septerra Core for the first time since its launch, but the lag on Win10 is just killing me.
Beasty_Donald: https://anonfiles.com/X4RcIdp0yf/Septerra_Core_Fix_7z
or
https://www35.zippyshare.com/v/rj5o0Y0P/file.html
DUDE THANK YOU!!!
You're welcome I"m not even sure why GoG had to use the unofficial patch since its not even needed to run the game
Post edited July 28, 2022 by Beasty_Donald
My game looks like this...

What do i need to do to fix that?
Attachments:
Długi: My game looks like this...

What do i need to do to fix that?
Delete "QuickTime.qts" in the game folder this is one of the problems you can find from the unofficial patch you can also just uninstall the patch by following this post
https://www.gog.com/forum/septerra_core_legacy_of_the_creator/fix_for_windows_10_works_100/post1
or
https://www.gog.com/forum/septerra_core_legacy_of_the_creator/fix_for_windows_10_works_100/post59

and the files can be found from this post (Video files and QT files)
https://www.gog.com/forum/septerra_core_legacy_of_the_creator/fix_for_windows_10_works_100/post42
Post edited July 28, 2022 by Beasty_Donald
egelon: After faffing about with all sorts of fixes for an hour, I came to the following conclusion:
* The game needs the updated version of QuickTime.qts - get this form the previous posts and paste it straight into the game's install folder. (Replace the existing file)
* The game needs the updated .db files for all movies - fetch them from previous posts and paste them into the game's install folder. (replace the existing files)
* The game needs an updated ddraw.dll - go to the dgVoodo2 website (open it with Edge - Chrome complains that the site's unsafe). Go to the downloads section and get the latest stable version (for me it was 2.63.2). Download the .zip, labeled "for regular usage". The password for it is written next to the download link on the site (password: shitgoogle). From this .zip file, you only need the DDraw.dll - it's located in the MS\x86 folder in the zip. Paste this file into the game's install folder. Overwrite the existing file.

After all this, it should start up without any issues - it works for me at least.

I have installed the game on 2 machines.
On my laptop, which only has an integrated graphics card in the Intel CPU, the game starts up directly after a fresh install without any need for a fix whatsoever, and runs fine.
On my desktop PC, with an NVidia card, I need to do these fixes, otherwise the videos don't play and the game runs at 1 fps. Seems the issue stems from running the game on a dedicated graphics card, instead of the one, integrated into the CPU
Thanks! I've tried other methods from this topic but only this one works for me!
egelon: After faffing about with all sorts of fixes for an hour, I came to the following conclusion:
* The game needs the updated version of QuickTime.qts - get this form the previous posts and paste it straight into the game's install folder. (Replace the existing file)
* The game needs the updated .db files for all movies - fetch them from previous posts and paste them into the game's install folder. (replace the existing files)
* The game needs an updated ddraw.dll - go to the dgVoodo2 website (open it with Edge - Chrome complains that the site's unsafe). Go to the downloads section and get the latest stable version (for me it was 2.63.2). Download the .zip, labeled "for regular usage". The password for it is written next to the download link on the site (password: shitgoogle). From this .zip file, you only need the DDraw.dll - it's located in the MS\x86 folder in the zip. Paste this file into the game's install folder. Overwrite the existing file.

After all this, it should start up without any issues - it works for me at least.

I have installed the game on 2 machines.
On my laptop, which only has an integrated graphics card in the Intel CPU, the game starts up directly after a fresh install without any need for a fix whatsoever, and runs fine.
On my desktop PC, with an NVidia card, I need to do these fixes, otherwise the videos don't play and the game runs at 1 fps. Seems the issue stems from running the game on a dedicated graphics card, instead of the one, integrated into the CPU
Długi: Thanks! I've tried other methods from this topic but only this one works for me!
To bad replacing the DDraw.dll is just like uninstalling the unofficial patch
Post edited August 03, 2022 by Beasty_Donald
Kaplau93: For anyone just joining in, I'll reiterate stuff said over the past 3 pages.
If you are starting the game and the game runs at single digit framerates (laggy mouse, laggy game), this is how you fix it

1. Delete ddraw.dll and quicktime.qts files from game directory.
This will fix the framerate issue, but also disable all videos in the game. To fix the videos...

2. Download updated video files from mega.nz/file/nzZl2CLY#rl1WOOWFnqinwqnQS3OsKlpRATnXWOJ5KlqXLt4plUo and copy & paste the individual files (inside the Video folder) directly into the game's directory. This should overwrite files of the same name.
Credit for the link goes to GoronMegaZord's post 47 (at least, that's where I found it).
If these links are ever down and you cannot get a hold of these video files, PM me. If I'm still on this site, I'll send you the files.

At this point, the game should work perfectly. In case it doesn't though...

~3. If you are still not seeing videos (you are sent directly to main menu on startup), maybe try installing QuickTime 4? That's the only other thing I did while I was testing all fixes recommended throughout this thread, but I don't think it contributed to it eventually working. Do the full install (not custom or whatever other options there were). Make sure to uncheck the Internet Explorer option to avoid bloatware.

Note: I tried the Peixoto patch mentioned in post 58 by Jennifer. Running the game using that patch broke the game into pieces, but the patch program instructed me to download and install QuickTime 4. I suggest not working with that patch, but that's just me.
My brother from another mother !!!
Though I started with other games, this was the first I bought with a game magazine.
I fell in love with the game !!
I haven't played this since like 20 years ago.
BUT I THANK YOU FOR MAKING THE GAME PLAYABLE [even if you just compiled info from the others !!]

I really thank you !!!

P.S. For whoever needs the info.
Don't use dual/triple setup display for your monitor, game wont be able to run.
Pick show only on 1 display. Sometimes you wont pay attention to it , Some old games like your setup just for 1 display. Retogle it back on multiple after you finish playing xD Cheers
Post edited December 01, 2022 by warbync
A lot of material here, actually confusing to many people. I have found a pretty easy way on how to make it work and in my mind the probably best quality possible.

1. Install the GoG game

2. Download Septerra Core v1.04.0.7 according to your system:
https://github.com/M-HT/SR/releases/tag/septerra_v1.04.0.7

3. Unpack and copy all the files inside the install folder, overwrite everything when asked

4. Now open the Septera CFG file (it should have a notepad graphic in Windows)

You may change other stuff according to own findings but it is critical not to have the CPU in sleep mode else the mouse will be lagging, and the resolution can not be 16:9, it have to be 4:3 for the game to work properly. The max resolution possible is usually 1440x1080 (or double of this for 4k displays). If done properly and launched by using the new SR-Septerra Launcher, the game should work properly now.

Make the following changes:

Display_Mode=fullscreen
Display_VSync=on
Display_Width=1440
Display_Height=1080
Display_Resizable=no
Display_Scaling=basic
Display_DelayAfterFlip=0

# CPU settings
# ------------
#
# CPU_SleepMode=standard/reduced/nosleep - CPU sleep mode (to prevent Septerra Core from consuming too much CPU)
CPU_SleepMode=nosleep

Finally it should look like this with smooth FPS:

https://ibb.co/Z1YbCbx
Post edited March 14, 2023 by Xeshra