How do I use this file? By editing dosboxrealms1.conf?
1. Download the soundfont
2. Download Qsynth, run it, go to setup -> soundfonts -> add the soundfont.
3. You could need a virtual midi port like Maple Midi, I'm not sure, try without it, if it doesn't work get one, then choose it in Qsynth setup -> MIDI. You could also need to set that port as default midi port in your OS (Vista or Win7, get this http://sierrahelp.com/Utilities/SoundUtilities/PutzlowitschsVistaMIDI_Mapper.html
). But setting the port in Qsynth setup should be enough.
4. Open dosboxrealms1.conf, in the last lines add 'sound' after 'cls', it'll look like
Also, set these options:
cycles=10000 (max is too much for ROA1, and midi doesn't play well with max)
5. Run the game and choose Roland MT-32 for music and Sound Blaster for effects.
6. Then delete again that 'sound' in the dosboxrealms1.conf or it will launch it every time.
Thanks for the detailed instructions!
I'm a huge noob when it comes to midi emulation, so just to clarify:
Do I keep the GOG-prepackaged-DOSBOX settings as:
Or do I change it to mt32 or some other setting? (default, win32, alsa, oss, coreaudio, coremidi, mt32, synth, timidity, none)
What do you think of using MUNT MT-32/LAPC-1 emulation for RoA1? I'm going to try everything and compare them (against the GOG-bonus RoA1 CD audio tracks) but a lot of this is super subjective :)