Anyone got any comments on what ioQuake (http://ioquake3.org
) is like? Does it work with the GOG version? Does it automatically do most of the stuff listed here?
Right now I think getting the download from there is more useful for Mac and Linux users. For you Mac guys:
1. Get Wineskin and ioq3, then download the Windows EXE for Q3.
2. Open Wineskin, download both the latest wrapper and version of Wine using the buttons. This is pretty self-explanatory.
3. Create a new blank wrapper, name it whatever. You don't need to add anything (Gecko, mono, etc) unless you plan on using it for something else, as you won't be running it.
4. Click on the wrapper, click install software. Click choose setup executable.
5. Let it do it's magic.
6. Refer to the setup instructions on ioquake3's readme. To get to your files, right click on your wrapper and click on show package contents. Go through the folders, when you come to GOG Games that's where the content is for Quake 3. Make sure to get both the main game and Team Arena's pak files.
There you go, you have Quake 3 native. Confirmed to work with El Capitan and everything below. This does indeed work with the Hi-Res textures.
Oh, and by the way: the Catch-The-Chicken mod sitting in the Windows downloads? Grab that, you can extract the EXE with The Unarchiver. Stick the ctc folder in your base and you have the mod ready to go.