It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

sinbad269: All praise GOG.com for allowing people with shit hardware to satiate their gaming desires!
Darvond: Let me clarify something. This isn't so much about bad hardware, but a type of 3D rendering API that doesn't exist anymore. OpenGL was just a wee babe, DirectX was at best fledgling, so 3DFX was king.
Doesn't diminish the fact that this is an ancient game that just wouldn't work on anyone's hardware with a current OS.

Or any other similar game for that matter
I can't get it to run on Windows 10 with any compatibility mode, with either .exe file. I have direct play enabled. I don't know what else I can try! If I try to run through gog I get a popup that says "Program Crashed". If I try either of the exe files the screen goes black for a moment and then nothing happens -- it doesn't even show up in task manager.
sheenasan: I can't get it to run on Windows 10 with any compatibility mode, with either .exe file. I have direct play enabled. I don't know what else I can try! If I try to run through gog I get a popup that says "Program Crashed". If I try either of the exe files the screen goes black for a moment and then nothing happens -- it doesn't even show up in task manager.
The same thing was happening to me. In the support article below is a link to 3 dll files on Dropbox. Download them and put them in the game folder. After that the game stopped crashing on startup for me.

https://support.gog.com/hc/en-us/articles/360007643793-DirectX-errors-random-crashes-graphics-issues
Okay, let's try this Troubleshooting Thing for Populous:The Beginning in 2019. Let's see if we can update this waaaay better?!...

I'm Using - Windows 10. I cannot play the game directly from GOG, but I can play the game using the "popTB.exe" file. After Windows 10 automatically finds Direct Play and asks if you'd like to install it (for older games). To play the game go to your game files folder. Location on my drive is; Program Files (x86) > Galaxy Client > Games > Populous: The Beginning).

Find the popTB.exe file, right click and go to "Properties" > go to "Compatibility" > click "Change settings for all users" > *Check mark the box, then "Run this program in compatibility mode", then select "Windows XP (Service Pack 3)", and "Run as an administrator", click Apply and/ or Okay, then Right Double-Click the "PopTB.exe" file to run and play the game.

To be clear, this is the more pixelated or earlier version of the game, like Minecraft. I'm not playing this version, because it's totally unacceptable. When I played this at release in and around 1999 I played the better version even then, and that's what I want now. I've acquired this game many times through DL over the years, as recent as 3 years ago and had to alter the game files. Newer PC and using Windows 10 has altered the way to change files, even IF I had the way I changed them before. I did so by doing lots of research via Google Search, however I can't find anything up to date now and that works for me. Soooo, how do we get this alternate version/ file to work? Using the "D3DPopTB.exe" file Version to work that has much better graphics!? There are workaround for EVERYTHING!... Come on you, Brainiacs! Give me some solid, easy to understand facts that will work, for me, and others to come in 2019. And, Thanks, in advance!!!
Catpsyche: Okay, let's try this Troubleshooting Thing for Populous:The Beginning in 2019. Let's see if we can update this waaaay better?!...

I'm Using - Windows 10. I cannot play the game directly from GOG, but I can play the game using the "popTB.exe" file. After Windows 10 automatically finds Direct Play and asks if you'd like to install it (for older games). To play the game go to your game files folder. Location on my drive is; Program Files (x86) > Galaxy Client > Games > Populous: The Beginning).

Find the popTB.exe file, right click and go to "Properties" > go to "Compatibility" > click "Change settings for all users" > *Check mark the box, then "Run this program in compatibility mode", then select "Windows XP (Service Pack 3)", and "Run as an administrator", click Apply and/ or Okay, then Right Double-Click the "PopTB.exe" file to run and play the game.

To be clear, this is the more pixelated or earlier version of the game, like Minecraft. I'm not playing this version, because it's totally unacceptable. When I played this at release in and around 1999 I played the better version even then, and that's what I want now. I've acquired this game many times through DL over the years, as recent as 3 years ago and had to alter the game files. Newer PC and using Windows 10 has altered the way to change files, even IF I had the way I changed them before. I did so by doing lots of research via Google Search, however I can't find anything up to date now and that works for me. Soooo, how do we get this alternate version/ file to work? Using the "D3DPopTB.exe" file Version to work that has much better graphics!? There are workaround for EVERYTHING!... Come on you, Brainiacs! Give me some solid, easy to understand facts that will work, for me, and others to come in 2019. And, Thanks, in advance!!!
I've had a similar issue and just tried this, and it seems to work like a charm:

http://dege.freeweb.hu/dgVoodoo2/dgVoodoo2.html

UPDATE: a little bit of skipping as I scroll across the screen, but at least the thing actually now seems to load in D3D mode!
Post edited March 31, 2019 by generalktan
sheenasan: I can't get it to run on Windows 10 with any compatibility mode, with either .exe file. I have direct play enabled. I don't know what else I can try! If I try to run through gog I get a popup that says "Program Crashed". If I try either of the exe files the screen goes black for a moment and then nothing happens -- it doesn't even show up in task manager.
Milfay.324: The same thing was happening to me. In the support article below is a link to 3 dll files on Dropbox. Download them and put them in the game folder. After that the game stopped crashing on startup for me.

https://support.gog.com/hc/en-us/articles/360007643793-DirectX-errors-random-crashes-graphics-issues
I can't access these files.
So just wanted to post to all I just installed v1.02 regfix on Win10 64-bit

I added -alres to all the shortcuts of the game sept the default dx settings software that comes with the gog install.

then I opend the directx settings file and set the resolution to what my monitor is, as in not set by application (Default) or Same as desktop. Why? Cus those are the options that typically cause a crash from what I experienced.

I then made Presentation Fullscreen and left Aspect ratio enabled (Default) and scaling to integer and vsync enabled and gamma I left alone and Anistropic filtering 16x and antialiasing msaa 8x and saved it.

I was able to launch my games perfectly fine then with 0 crashes.

you can even goto ingame options and switch landscape and what not to high and get 0 crashes.

Hope this is useful for others. but just note technically you shouldnt need to download any new files or anything to enjoy the game.

heck while making this post I even have the game minimized and I can open it backup and still experience 0 crashes

Note I am running a low end rig. I have attached a screenie of the game running max resolution and quality on my rig.
Attachments:
Post edited March 27, 2020 by Stixsmaster
Hello,

Is anyone able to shed some light on this?

I am running Windows XP 32bit in a VirtualBox on an iMac. Whenever I try and open the game it crashes and I get this error report. I am not intelligent enough to understand this so any guidance on this would be brilliant!

Before this crash happens I get another pop up saying

"Missing or incomplete Registry information. Use C:\POP3.CD as default hard drive path?"

...from what I have read elsewhere this is not a fatal problem though so I am assuming that I have a second problem causing the crash?
Well i just tested this and the game really doesn't have flickering graphics anymore since new update.
Had to bring the save files from the previous installation to C:\POP3.CD
So first time you run it, it probably creates the pop3 cd path and then you bring the old save files there.
It seems it needs to create that folder for the game to run and this time it doesn't need to run it twice to work.
It works on first try.
Post edited April 06, 2020 by Fonzer
use dgVoodoo2_63_2 can be found at dege.freeweb.hu/dgVoodoo2/dgVoodoo2 can not post links in post as new fixed this game and settlers 4 gold follow instructions and game launches in dx much better looking. mess with settings in the voodoo control panel, must copy to where game exe is and even if got a 64 bit system I found I had to copy the 32 bit drivers as game is 32. will crash out on the load screen in game but just reclick from taskbar and no problem. only thing noticed issue was the oceans are white but everything else works have fun
moribund_A_BUG: use dgVoodoo2_63_2 can be found at dege.freeweb.hu/dgVoodoo2/dgVoodoo2 can not post links in post as new fixed this game and settlers 4 gold follow instructions and game launches in dx much better looking. mess with settings in the voodoo control panel, must copy to where game exe is and even if got a 64 bit system I found I had to copy the 32 bit drivers as game is 32. will crash out on the load screen in game but just reclick from taskbar and no problem. only thing noticed issue was the oceans are white but everything else works have fun
http://dege.freeweb.hu/dgVoodoo2/dgVoodoo2.html
After following a bit of advice here I can get the game to start, and I can play the Tutorial without any problems.
However, when I select "New Game" to play the regular campaign, the game crashes as soon as the intro video ends.

Anyone else experience this?
just started playing and crashed upon starting main story. changed resolution and presentation to windowed this worked for me on w10
theoturtle: So I bought POP3 on the Weekend-Sale an had - like everyone here - trouble starting it in D3D (Application - Crash right from the start).
And I don't want to use the popTB.exe - because this will cause the game to run in software mode. Why the hell does anybody do that ? Invention of 3D Acceleration was the best thing on PC in the 1990's. (Holy Voodoo Cards!)

Finally I was able to run POP3 in D3D with an NVIDIA-Card using "dgVooDoo" (a dx and glide wrapper) on Windows 10
Thanks to the post of "ZellSF" who suggested using that little thing of software! (one year ago! - and this thread was opened in 2012 ...)

I am using Win10 (with Redstone-Update) with a GTX960 4GB

Here's what I did: (Step by step)

1. Download "dgVoodoo" from "dege.freeweb.hu/" (Latest Version 2.53)
2. Extract the downloaded file to a folder of your choice
3. Copy all files from the "dgVoodoo" main folder into you POP3 Installation directory
4. also copy the files from the "MS" folder (3 dll files for ddraw an direct3d) into POP3 Installation directory
5. Run "dgVooDooSetup.exe" and click the icon [.\] - that will point the path to your POP3 installation directory
6. Select the Tab "DirectX" and check the Options - I tried differnt settings and now use the ones you can see in my screenshot
7. Click Apply Button
8. Launch the game through the GOG-Launcher (the shortcut placed on the Desktop after installation) - Answer the question for recovery mode with "no"
Only via the launcher the game will allow you to use resolutions higher than 800x600 (1600x900 works for me - FullHD doesnt seem to be supported.)

You will always have to change the resolution ingame every time you start the game again.(Problem of the game, not the GOG-Release or the wrapper)

Notes:
- you dont have to run the dgVoodoo program again after making your settings - POP3 will always start with the wrapper until you delete the files from the wrapper software
- Turn the "dgVoodoo Watermark" setting off - I just used it to verify the game works with the wrapper
- using Antialiasing causes some screenartifacts, especially around the text-boxes and the map
- using less than 128MB VRAM in the settings seems to cause graphic glitches when driving the mouse around (like a mouse-shadow)
- Windowed-Mode doesnt work - crashes when Apllication loses focus

Hope this helps some folks out there

BlueDandelion: EzioDelpatchi's solution Worked for me on Windows 10. Very simple. Thanks
theoturtle: Just wanted to point out: that is no solution, it just uses the softwarerenderung path. No 3D - Graphics card will be used. And it causes the game to run only in 800x600 maximum. (what looks terrible)
Works!!