It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I'd like a GOG rep to respond on why our patch 1.09 doesn't jive with the Steam version. Do you guys know anything? I know Hello Games went silent running but I'd like something official said by a GOG rep.

Thanks!
This question / problem has been solved by Mac.Clayneimage
Maybe they can't say anything per agreements and such. This whole thing is a mess on any platform. I've uninstalled and will come back in a few months.
A new experimental patch is coming on Steam (build 1351119).
I'm sure they'll align GOG and Steam versions when 1.10 will become public on both platforms.
Post edited September 27, 2016 by ppattumi
It might be that due to Steam, that version patch may include lots of DRM Steam stuff? The base MB's are so different i can't think what else it can be?

Or they (Hello Games) are still in a bit of a mess in terms of patches for the different version (PS4, Steam and GOG on PC).

Steam as a platform requires extra stuff due to it being the DRM. GOG does not. I hope this is the actual reason.
I keep hearing about this issue, that the GOG patch is different than the Steam patch. As I wrote before, I don't even notice anything before/after patch in the game (I actually see a worse framerate than before), but some others mentioned, that the Steam patch does more than the GOG patch for the game.
For the PS4 console patch, it's 7 times bigger (700MB), so that's actually another different patch, I'm guessing.
Post edited September 28, 2016 by pannonian75
Well, very few developers tend to say things like: Hey, PC owners! Aren't you happy we didn't push a duplicate package of a low-res texture pack, along with fifty copies of each rock-surface type with different light-tones to compensate for the lack of dynamic lighting effects on consoles, into your build, in spite of how the console-version needs it?

Or "Congratulations, Console Owners, you have officially been salvaged of library override problems and screen context selection issues, unlike the guys on Steam, since the OS you are using is impossible to make any actual changes to! So you don't need any extra updates to deal with the new RANDOM GOD DAMN Windows-upgrades that screwed everything over for us!

Or "since we were economical with the incremental updates and planned this well on your platform, gog-folks, you will be spared of the entire rebuild of the whole bloody game that we unfortunately needed to deploy on the other platforms with each separate patch for consistency issues. Really, we're extremely happy with this one, and so should you, you ungrateful snots! Bloody hell, complaining about the patch being too small! Fuck!".

And things like that.

Bad PR, apparently.

Good PR is saying things like this: "We understand well the longing a large majority of players would have for lack of various features in this game. And I assure you we are listening intently to each of your grievances with careful and personal engagement in every case. In particular, we are quite sympathetic to the option of a MINEMINEMINE! I OWN THE UNIVERSE! button function. So that intrepid explorers may be spared of the tedium of uploading and naming individual creatures and planets. And instead may simply upload all generic and randomly generated names directly to the server with one click. And then crashing our servers for no reason as well.

And we feel that once we sort out this monumental oversight with our design, we shall move on to less important things, such as animation, rendering, transitions, maths, and programming in general that relates to the game in any way at all, rather than your OCD.

Thank you so much for your invaluable feedback. It certainly helps making the game better for everyone! By which we mean only you out of a million users had this complaint - however, it was still the least insane one.

Incidentally, we freely admit that being an angry internet commenter on Reddit, as well as Neogaf, makes you an authority on game-design, with implicit skill at a much higher level than the combined talent of our entire studio. And we have therefore taken the liberty of compiling a set of your most brilliant internet forum-posts as an application for our now open position for studio lead.

I am certain that you will do a better job than the one we had previously, as is evidenced by your incisive commenting on how much suck is involved with our games suckiness. And why kill3rrap3r98 should suck their mom's teat. But I am particularly impressed with your skill at inserting the word "intuitive game-design" as a justification for any random idea that pops into your head, without any consideration of actual implementation or indeed relation to any other function in the game. This is exactly the kind of visionary talent we were lacking in this studio, and I am looking forward to meeting your princessely highness next week when we start our interview-rounds".
The question still stands.

Beside having a Steam DRM, what is the difference between the Steam version vs. the GOG version of NMS, before and after 1.09?
nipsen +1.
^please don't do that. My ego is way to big already. :p
pannonian75: The question still stands.

Beside having a Steam DRM, what is the difference between the Steam version vs. the GOG version of NMS, before and after 1.09?
Can't tell for certain. I don't have the steam version, and can't do a diff between them. But pretty confident that the large patch-size could have something to do with ensuring that either the experimental build was updated properly, or that there was some issue with overrides used earlier. I.e., instead of replacing an override or unwinding from a different update, they'd include the new overrides based on the original resource-file instead. You often get things like this over time - patching from the last to next to last version is fine, skipping one version suddenly causes an issue, etc.

But if no conflicts existed, no replacement of that main resource file would be needed. Since the diff is just the new overrides, etc. Even if the intermediate versions could have had overrides for the entire file, or had extracted resource files for it, etc. This would also basically fit with the small amounts of inserts based on what the last experimental build had extracted from the resource files. Some of the desert files, some corresponding resources. So presumably the 6mb patch is part of those inserts and tweaks that were changed between the versions. Instead of the updated diff after the extracted resources were wiped. The fact that steam doesn't automatically purge the existing files when changing branch also has something to do with this. But it's all just guesswork, of course, because no one has the patience to actually check.

In the same way - we know that user-files have been getting extra settings exposed in the experimental builds, and that these user-strings have not been deleted after "updating" to the new branch. In the sense that updating the game didn't overwrite and reset your game's save-files.

And seriously, what does it matter to anyone not invested in the whole "everyone lies, as well as GOG and Steam, and specially GOG because they pretend to be the good guys with "no drms" and shit! I only trust EA, because they're honest about screwing me over from the start!". Meanwhile, I'm just going to go with the idea that it's highly unlikely that gog would try to cover up being one patch-version behind by mislabeling each version with one higher number than the actual patch. While also somehow mysteriously managing to include the updates corresponding to the latest patch-notes every time.

Anyway. Just saying the size of the update doesn't necessarily mean all that much. Remove all the music and the static resources from NMS, and the entire game is something like... 500mb, max. Most interesting stuff seems to be on the layer where various functions put the small "low-res" bits together, for example. Here's a bunch of flat squares with blurry patterns of some sort, some pixel-dust and a bunch of math - and on the other side is a mountain with pink snow on it.

The static resources here are... not very interesting.
Post edited September 29, 2016 by nipsen
Just roll back to 1.07 and it's all good
Mac.Clayne: Just roll back to 1.07 and it's all good
Well since a GOG rep hasn't answered the question, I'll mark Mac as having solved it.
Post edited September 29, 2016 by Calypso71
Mac.Clayne: Just roll back to 1.07 and it's all good
Calypso71: Well since a GOG rep hasn't answered the question, I'll mark Mac as having solved it.
X'-D

Yeah ! :-D Thank you ^^
Calypso71: Well since a GOG rep hasn't answered the question, I'll mark Mac as having solved it.
Mac.Clayne: X'-D

Yeah ! :-D Thank you ^^
I upvoted everyone in this thread.

Even if the GOG forums aren't as active as Steam, at least most people are nicer here. :D
^^ Agreed.

I'm rolling back to the 1.07 patch as well. 1.09 just is not cutting it on my system and seems to crash a lot more. Still enjoying the game though.
Calypso71: I'd like a GOG rep to respond on why our patch 1.09 doesn't jive with the Steam version. Do you guys know anything? I know Hello Games went silent running but I'd like something official said by a GOG rep.

Thanks!
I had meant to ask in what way is it broken for you? Are you just talking about the MB size vs the Steam version?

I've been running v 1.09 for about 16 hours and not had any problems with it.