It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

We have 5 desktop gaming rigs in the home. I got it running at 75-100FPS average at ultra settings on the 'slowest' rig in the house. No slowdowns, no stutter, smooth as silk, looks amazing.. The slowest rig is;

AMD FX-5320 CPU
MSI GTX 970-OC 4GB GPU
16GB Mushkin Red RAM
130GB 550mb/s SSD (boot/OS)
1TB 7200 RPM HDD
1920x1080 Rez (Dell IPS 24")
Windows 10 (I strongly discourage Win7 but thats my personal experience, but if you insist, then make sure Win7 is fully updated, including service packs)

I consider this is a pretty low end rig personally. It was built a couple-few years ago. If I am getting 75-100FPS on this and some people are having trouble with way better rigs. My personal gaming rig (TitanX) runs it close to double the FPS. So what did I do to accomplish this?

1) Install the game to an SSD! Since it's procedural it seems to access the mapping data from the drive. People with slow mechanical drives may experience hitching and pauses. SSD remedies most issues in procedural generation. I noticed 'stutter' when I had the game installed on the 7200RPM HDD, I assume when the mapping was taking place it was drawing map data from the drive.

2) Install CleanMem from PCWintech. I believe NMS has a memory leak. CleanMem isn't placebo, it simply triggers Windows own 'fragment cleanup' of RAM every 15 minutes vs once a day. This seems to solve issues that come up over time in the game as the memory leaks escalate.

3) Adjust graphic settings to maximum, turn off VSYNC, set FPS to MAX.

4) Exit game, then browse to game directory and load TKGRAPHICSSETTINGS.MXML into notepad. Set GSYNC to 'false'. This simple setting has resulted in a remarkable 'doubling' of FPS on some rigs here.

5) Be sure to set the game on BORDERLESS. The game crashes on tabbing out unless it's on borderless.

That's all I did, and the lowest machine in the home gets a magical stutter free 75-100fps at all times on ultra settings. Give it a shot and see if it works for you. I personally think most of the issues are really due to peoples machines having issues, lacking updates (Firmware, Drivers, OS, etc) and other things. But the above seems to help every machine I have tested it on get amazing performance.
Post edited August 14, 2016 by mayahana
I believe it, as my laptop isn't that much better than that machine and I'm getting roughly the same performance.

Two things I would mention. I am using a gsync display and didn't need to do #4. Also I have been running full screen and have had no issues alt-tabbing so not everyone is having that issue.
I'm running win 7 and it plays 1000x better than on win10. Also I turned VSYNC on and it works just fine.
So far I haven't had any issues. After about 16 hours of almost continuous game play I search for the Atlas Pass online and low and behold there is an online mob at the gates of GOG with pitchforks and torches. I couldn't believe the amount of people having issues.

I have an 3.4ghz i5, GXT 970, 16GB, SSD, Windows 10
Frame rate seems to be locked at 75 fps, probably due to me having gsync on and having a 144hz monitor.
I have everything on the highest settings except for Anti-Aliasing, and Shadows.

I did experience quite a bit of hitching on my first planet now that I think about it, but that passed after about 15 minutes. I think the game hitches while trying to proceduraly generate the geometry for the first time.

ALSO:
I run this game through steam so there is no need to ALT-TAB. I just use the steam interface web browser when I need to get online.
Post edited August 14, 2016 by dedknedy
Just to throw my experience with the game. My system is:

Win 10 Home (64) Anniversary Update installed
i5-6400
gtx1060 (6GB) latest driver
8GB RAM
7200rpm HDD (The game is installed there)
Tested on both 1080p and 1440p monitors

Vsync: On/Off, didn't see any difference performance wise (144hz monitors)
FPS: Max
Everything maxed just to try out how it holds up. With 1440p monitor I turned AA lower though. didn't really see much difference in that regard.

Slight stuttering when first arriving the planet, which may be due to my RAM and the fact that it's installed on to a HDD instead of SSD. Someone wiser may know if it's the case or not, still rather new to the PC gaming. FPS jumps around 55-75 on 1440p monitor with mentioned settings, while our 1080p monitor gives around 65-90fps in general. I'm using Borderless instead of regular Fullscreen as well. I'll have to try out the CleanMem to see if it makes a difference.

Thanks for sharing that, hopefully helps people with those issues.
One thing should be noted if you have Windows 7 there's a know bug which doesn't use all cores at one time, there is fix for it in the form of a service pack which on top of other things probably installs something you don't want.
Shadowcaster787: One thing should be noted if you have Windows 7 there's a know bug which doesn't use all cores at one time, there is fix for it in the form of a service pack which on top of other things probably installs something you don't want.
That bug would be a problem with Win7 because of the procedural generation which spikes the CPU. I believe it's possible that this is causing issues for a significant number of people. I'd assume someone still running Windows 7 probably doesn't keep up with things. Also, Win7 doesn't even support DX12, why would anyone run it?

I do believe a good portion of 'stuttering' during procedural work is the fact that the game isn't installed on an SSD. I've tested this on two machines so far, and just resolved to install NMS on the SSD of the two drive combo units I build. It's small enough to fit on them so it's not a big deal. This is probably the third game this year I have found runs much better on SSD so it looks like I will be replacing my 1TB HDD data drives with SSD's later this year.
Shadowcaster787: One thing should be noted if you have Windows 7 there's a know bug which doesn't use all cores at one time, there is fix for it in the form of a service pack which on top of other things probably installs something you don't want.
mayahana: That bug would be a problem with Win7 because of the procedural generation which spikes the CPU. I believe it's possible that this is causing issues for a significant number of people. I'd assume someone still running Windows 7 probably doesn't keep up with things. Also, Win7 doesn't even support DX12, why would anyone run it?

I do believe a good portion of 'stuttering' during procedural work is the fact that the game isn't installed on an SSD. I've tested this on two machines so far, and just resolved to install NMS on the SSD of the two drive combo units I build. It's small enough to fit on them so it's not a big deal. This is probably the third game this year I have found runs much better on SSD so it looks like I will be replacing my 1TB HDD data drives with SSD's later this year.
Strange, because I have this installed on an external 7200 rpm drive and I'm not seeing any stuttering.
Thanks for this post, it's improved my performance a decent amount.
mayahana: That bug would be a problem with Win7 because of the procedural generation which spikes the CPU. I believe it's possible that this is causing issues for a significant number of people. I'd assume someone still running Windows 7 probably doesn't keep up with things. Also, Win7 doesn't even support DX12, why would anyone run it?
Because NMS uses Opengl :)
mayahana: I'd assume someone still running Windows 7 probably doesn't keep up with things. Also, Win7 doesn't even support DX12, why would anyone run it?
Just because nobody in the US seems to think twice about it doesn't mean the rest of the world doesn't care about what Win10 means for not only privacy, but also system control. I'm a software developer myself, but many of my systems integrator colleagues have complained about Win10 machines misbehaving and mysteriously overruling several settings, basically administrating themselves and rejecting a variety of configured things out of the blue. Some even booting up in the middle of the night despite having been shut down.

But, maybe more important to non-IT people, there are plenty of reports that Win7 systems that have been upgraded to Win10 actually perform worse than before, delivering less FPS in games and such. This seems to depend on the exact combination of hardware you're running. It's likely you'll luck out there, but it's kind of a gamble never the less.

As for me, I only trust Win10 as far as I can throw it and cherry-pick my Win7 updates carefully since they've been trying to patch many of these "features" into Win7 for some time now.

Well, don't you look at me like that now, you've been asking, after all.
There are reasons why some people choose to stick with Win7!
mayahana: I'd assume someone still running Windows 7 probably doesn't keep up with things. Also, Win7 doesn't even support DX12, why would anyone run it?
BlackSun: Just because nobody in the US seems to think twice about it doesn't mean the rest of the world doesn't care about what Win10 means for not only privacy, but also system control. I'm a software developer myself, but many of my systems integrator colleagues have complained about Win10 machines misbehaving and mysteriously overruling several settings, basically administrating themselves and rejecting a variety of configured things out of the blue. Some even booting up in the middle of the night despite having been shut down.

But, maybe more important to non-IT people, there are plenty of reports that Win7 systems that have been upgraded to Win10 actually perform worse than before, delivering less FPS in games and such. This seems to depend on the exact combination of hardware you're running. It's likely you'll luck out there, but it's kind of a gamble never the less.

As for me, I only trust Win10 as far as I can throw it and cherry-pick my Win7 updates carefully since they've been trying to patch many of these "features" into Win7 for some time now.

Well, don't you look at me like that now, you've been asking, after all.
There are reasons why some people choose to stick with Win7!
I live in the US and I still don't use windows 10 either. Its a horrible interface and upgrading at work has caused headaches to no end.

#1. Power management sucks. Just causing the system to go to sleep, will make my system NEVER come back. Forums are saying this is because its "crashing" on the wake up. But know one knows how to fix it.

#2. A lot of normal windows programs now crash. I use Notepad++ and right clicking and using the scroll wheel causes the application to hang. This doesn't happen on ANY other version of windows. I highly think some of the old WINAPI is not compatible with the new version.

#3. There is actual code in Windows 10 that looks for steam or games with the steam dll and purposely slow down these programs. I'm guessing so that they can get people to switch to the windows store.

#4. You can't stop programs/apps from running. I.E. Cortana... you can turn the program "OFF" but its still running in the task manager collecting data.

#5. Firefox and Chrome hangs ALL THE TIME. Never happens on any other version of windows.

There will have to be some serious enticements to get me to upgrade, or at least fixes for the above before I even consider upgrading. Sorry, but DX12 cannot be the only thing.

This is coming from someone who has used PREVIEW releases of windows since Windows 2000. This is by far the WORST operating system Microsoft has EVER released.
rahly: I live in the US and I still don't use windows 10 either. Its a horrible interface and upgrading at work has caused headaches to no end.
[. . .]
This is coming from someone who has used PREVIEW releases of windows since Windows 2000. This is by far the WORST operating system Microsoft has EVER released.
I, and most of our IT department, is with you on this one. ;)
But hey, back to topic, no more Win10 banter! Didn't intend this to blow up to any capacity.
Just ya know, stating there are legit reasons as to why not to.
Post edited August 15, 2016 by BlackSun
mayahana: 3) Adjust graphic settings to maximum, turn off VSYNC, set FPS to MAX.

4) Exit game, then browse to game directory and load TKGRAPHICSSETTINGS.MXML into notepad. Set GSYNC to 'false'. This simple setting has resulted in a remarkable 'doubling' of FPS on some rigs here.

5) Be sure to set the game on BORDERLESS. The game crashes on tabbing out unless it's on borderless.
A quick note that the NMS devs know about these issues, and have fixes out. Steam users are testing alphas for us.

gog will get fixes soon(TM)
mayahana: 3) Adjust graphic settings to maximum, turn off VSYNC, set FPS to MAX.

spiralofhope: A quick note that the NMS devs know about these issues, and have fixes out. Steam users are testing alphas for us.

gog will get fixes soon(TM)
Gogs's gonna fix it all soon.
Gog's comin' round to put it back the way it ought to be.....