It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Hey guys!

I've recently installed Warband on my Arch Linux machine. But I can't get it to start.
If I run start.sh from the game folder it always tells me that libGLEW.so.1.10 is missing.
I have the latest Glew installed (ver. 2.0.0-1). I've also tried to symlink to it but it did not work either.
Do I miss another package or how can I solve this issue?

Thank you very much in advance!
No posts in this topic were marked as the solution yet. If you can help, add your reply
xCr0w: If I run start.sh from the game folder it always tells me that libGLEW.so.1.10 is missing.
I have the latest Glew installed (ver. 2.0.0-1).
Different major versions of shared libraries are not binary compatible; you'll need a GLEW 1 package, which should be installable independently of GLEW 2. Not an Arch Linux user myself, so I don't know the details.
Someone uploaded a package with almost all of the required libraries for Warband. You just have to copy them into the game folder. But there are still some missing and I can't find these particular versions.
It is really annoying that this libs do not come within the gamefolder. I don't know why GOG does not provide these?
xCr0w: I don't know why GOG does not provide these?
While I suppose it might be useful, I have found a number of games where I (and other users) have had to bypass/ignore the supplied libraries, because they are rarely standalone. They depend on other libraries, and system dependencies, as well. glib and SDL seem to be the biggest offenders in that respect. They are also often patched by distributions for security issues, although I doubt I care about any security issues in games myself. Also, there are some libraries they simply can't include, such as libGL (and libGL differences can be important: The Bard's Tale and Eschelon series no longer work well for me likely due to libGL changes over the years, and I can't really go back).

Personally, I use Gentoo, so for this game, I symlink libcurl-gnutls.so.4 to libcurl.so.4 and install media-libs/glew:1.10 for the glew issue (although I used to symlink it before 2.0 came around).
Post edited August 06, 2017 by darktjm
xCr0w: Hey guys!

I've recently installed Warband on my Arch Linux machine. But I can't get it to start.
If I run start.sh from the game folder it always tells me that libGLEW.so.1.10 is missing.
I have the latest Glew installed (ver. 2.0.0-1). I've also tried to symlink to it but it did not work either.
Do I miss another package or how can I solve this issue?

Thank you very much in advance!
Hi xCr0w,

This is a known issue and the developers of the game were notified about it. You can work it around if you install the latest 32 bit version of libGLEW in your system, then create a symlink to it in the game folder:

$ ln -s "$(find /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/ | grep libGLEW | head -n 1)" libGLEW.so.1.10

The path /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/ is the path where Ubuntu stores 32 bit libraries and it might be different on Arch Linux. Make sure that the library you are creating symlink to is in its 32 bit version.

Sorry for the late response!
Post edited August 16, 2017 by linuxvangog
Thank you for the information!
Good to hear that the developer has been noticed.
I'm having the very same problem. I'm running Ubuntu 18.04 64 bit and am quite new at using it, so I'm not sure how things work. I was wondering, before doing anything, if the suggested solution works at all and if it works on what I'm running.
@Vickingtor: I just got it running on Ubuntu 18.04 by copying the missing libraries into the "game" directory. Yes, there are more missing libraries than libGLEW.

From the "game" directory, I did the following:
1. Run "./mb_warband.sh" and note the missing library's name. The first one is libGLEW.so.1.10.
2. Run "locate libGLEW.so.1.10" to get a list of such files elsewhere on your computer.
3. Copy one of those files to the "game" directory.
4. Repeat from 1 until the game starts.

I was able to find all of the missing libraries under ~/.steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386. There were 8 of them:
* libcurl-gnutls.so.4
* libgcrypt.so.11
* libGLEW.so.1.10
* libgnutls.so.26
* libidn.so.11
* librtmp.so.0
* libSDL2-2.0.so.0
* libtasn1.so.3

The config app is a different story. It requires libQtGui.so.4 that I was unable to locate, so I didn't get it running. But since the game itself runs, I stopped there.
For me, on Linux Mint 19, only libGLEW.so.1.10 is missing and I can't seem to symlink it to the installed version 2.0, neither copying libGLEW.so.1.10 from the Steam folders seems to work, the game is always complaining about the missing library or wrong class something. So I'm quite sure I just did something wrong here...

Especially when there's a file named libGLEW.so.1.10 with some arrow icon on it (like a link?) and another libGLEW.so.1.10.0 without said icon. Now I'm not a very advanced Linux user myself, so I have no clue what those libraries are or how to link stuff properly.

Any help?
Post edited July 07, 2018 by GenerationLost
Hate Ubuntu the worst OS ever
Although the question of GenerationLost is some months old there might be others with the same issue.

When the terminal outputs that the game is missing libGLEW.so.1.10 and you've got a file with that particular name with an arrow on its symbol then you have a symlink. You can follow it by rightclicking the file and properties.

As odd_customer said different major versions are not binary compatible. So a symlink to a libGLEW 2 version won't work.

If you copy the correct version of the missing lib file into your game folder, there won't be any "missing library" errors anymore.
@ninjaRakun Worked for me, thanks!
Post edited February 21, 2021 by aitehs
I know this topic is 4 years old, but there's a similar problem now. I had this experience with libfmodex64.so.

libGLEW.so is included with the game, as is libfmodex64.so, the problem is that the startup script is badly written. In ~/GOG\ Games/Mount\ Blade\ Warband (or wherever you installed the game), you have to add the line export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:"`pwd`/game" between the #Action and run_game() { in start.sh.

$LD_LIBRARY_PATH is consulted at runtime by ld, the dynamic linker (finds all of your shared libraries (Linux equivalent to Windows' DLLs)). The game includes all of the necessary dynamic libraries, which is the good and correct thing to do, but the script left out this crucial step. I wouldn't expect a new Linux user, or even a semi-experienced one without programming experience, to know this or figure it out.
Ragmand: I know this topic is 4 years old, but there's a similar problem now. I had this experience with libfmodex64.so.

libGLEW.so is included with the game, as is libfmodex64.so, the problem is that the startup script is badly written. In ~/GOG\ Games/Mount\ Blade\ Warband (or wherever you installed the game), you have to add the line export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:"`pwd`/game" between the #Action and run_game() { in start.sh.

$LD_LIBRARY_PATH is consulted at runtime by ld, the dynamic linker (finds all of your shared libraries (Linux equivalent to Windows' DLLs)). The game includes all of the necessary dynamic libraries, which is the good and correct thing to do, but the script left out this crucial step. I wouldn't expect a new Linux user, or even a semi-experienced one without programming experience, to know this or figure it out.
Hi Ragmand,

Just want to tell you this was incredibly helpful and fixed my installation! Thank you very much for tip!
Regrettably, not the first Linux game on GOG to have a messy start script/dependencies. :(

KR
Ragmand: I know this topic is 4 years old, but there's a similar problem now. I had this experience with libfmodex64.so.

Hey! Thanks a lot for that. I want to add one more thing. Even after doing that, the game didn't work. So I ran it inside the terminal and noticed the error

Running Mount & Blade: Warband
Error: Unable to find module info file

So I ran the mbw_config_linux file and just saved&quit. This probably created that needed file and I was able to run the game now.