It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Note: I posted this before but I forgot the check the box to indicate that it's a question/problem. I edited the botched thread to indicate this.

Last December I bought an ASUS Transformer Book T100HA 2-in-1 specifically to play GOG games while travelling. It has a Cherry Trail Intel Atom SoC. It worked perfectly for my purpose until recently, when it automatically upgraded to the "Creators Update" (Windows 10 version 1703).

I re-imaged the machine to clear the gunk from the upgrade and then I reinstalled Might and Magic 6. When I launched the game, it did run, but the entire right edge of the screen was just gray. About 20% of the screen was covered in gray. Since the opening menu is on the right side and was obscured, I had to Alt-F4 to get out of the game.

I re-imaged the machine again and tried again, to no avail. I was beginning to think my GPU was failing so I installed MSI Kombustor and set it for 800x600 resolution, full screen. I tried several different tests using the same settings and I saw no corruption, so I'm pretty sure I can rule out a hardware problem.

I've also tried every combination of graphics settings in the Intel control panel and compatibility modes I could think of, with no luck. I also tried to upgrade my GPU driver but there is no new driver available.

I had the exact same problem with Might and Magic 8 and Baldur's Gate, but all the games I tried seem to run perfectly on my gaming desktop with GTX 970.

I don't know what to try next so any help would be most appreciated.
No posts in this topic were marked as the solution yet. If you can help, add your reply
Can you attach a screen shot? I doubt I'll be able to help, but I am curious.

My knee-jerk reaction is "Contact Support". There's a tab in the header bar for it, next to your account name.
Would the Grayface patch fix it by any chance?
https://sites.google.com/site/sergroj/mm#TOC-GrayFace-MM6-Patch-v2.0
Thanks so much for the responses!

I just tried the Grayface patch, but it did not help.

Here is a screenshot of the opening menu.

I'm not sure if the game runs at 800x600 resolution or 640x480. In any case, I've tried MSI Kombustor in fullscreen mode at both of those resolutions. Everything was fine. I tried Baldur's Gate (the original version) and Tie Fighter (the Collector's CD-ROM Dosbox version), both from GOG, and I had the same problem that I did in Might and Magic 6 and Might and Magic 8, except the bar on the right was black in Tie Fighter (as opposed to gray in all the others).

For whatever reason, my machine has decided it just doesn't like GOG games. I'm sure there's some setting or registry key somewhere that I'm overlooking, I just need to find it. The weird thing is everything worked before the Windows 10 Creators Update, and my desktop and larger laptop work with GOG games even with the Creator's update, though those machines have Nvidia GPUs. I tried updating my video drivers from Intel's website and it wouldn't let me, even if I extracted the driver file itself and tried to install it through the device manager.
Attachments:
Weird. It's almost like the strip with the active buttons wasn't displaying, even though that doesn't really make any sense as being what is happening.

I'd definitely contact support. It make take them a few business days to get to your ticket, and they work week days during the day in Poland, so compare time zones to see their active hours.
Yes, definitely contact support.

Things to try in the meanwhile. Does the gray bar appear beyond the main menu? You can press N to start a new game (And Q to quit, so you don't have to Alt+F4). These shortcuts work in MM8 at least, I don't have MM6 installed to verify.

Did you try running the game as an administrator?

Did you try simply reinstalling? (Back up saves first!). And NOT installing in Program Files, if you did.

Does this still appear in Windowed mode?
To get to Windowed mode, press F4. However for this to work, you need to have Grayface patch isntalled, or have set your desktop colour to 16-bit manually.
I submitted a ticket last night and I was contacted this morning by a support technician, who is working with me.

I started a new game with the N key; the gray bar persists.

I did try running the game as administrator, and it did not help.

I created the folder C:\GOG and reinstalled to there, No luck.

I switched to Windowed mode using F4, and the gray area got bigger, but when I closed that Window and restarted the game, it started in Windowed mode and it looked just fine.

I noticed something odd: When I run MSI Kombustor in fullscreen mode at a resolution of 640x480, I get a Windows notification that my screen resolution is "not optimal." I could have sworn I used to get this notification for GOG games, before the Windows 10 Creators Update, but I don't get it anymore for GOG Games, only for other programs like Kombusor. I wonder if Windows doesn't realize that it's switching resolutions or something and that's what messes it up.
I just tried a few experiments with the Intel graphics control panel.

I set the display scaling mode to Center Image and Might and Magic 6 did not respect that; it still scaled to the full panel size, except with the aspect ratio maintained. Then I set it to stretch the image to fill the whole screen, and Might and Magic 6 did respect that, but the gray bar was still there.

I get the feeling that GOG games are bypassing some normal Windows functionality and that's what's messing them up.

I'm not sure how I can get them to behave though.
Let as know if Support manages to solve it.
See here: celestialheavens.com/forum/10/16555

Let me know how it goes.
Wow, that's amazing, Emjayen!

It worked beautifully for Might and Magic 6 - no GrayFace patch required even!

So far I haven't been able to get it working for Might and Magic 8 and I haven't tried Might and Magic 7 yet. I will post an update after I try a few more things.

Thanks so much!
wedge5096: Wow, that's amazing, Emjayen!

It worked beautifully for Might and Magic 6 - no GrayFace patch required even!

So far I haven't been able to get it working for Might and Magic 8 and I haven't tried Might and Magic 7 yet. I will post an update after I try a few more things.

Thanks so much!
Glad it helped.

Be sure to not to have any compatibility-mode settings enabled, as MMCL renders these unncessary and will infact cause problems (typically will result in the game crashing at startup)
I got MM7 and MM8 working after disabling compatibility modes. Thanks for the tip!

MM7 and MM8 work well when it comes to gameplay, but the videos freeze after a few seconds; only the audio continues. Old pages found by Googling say that a few registry changes will fix that, but that solution didn't work for me. Also the mouse is a little sluggish in MM7 and MM8, but not so much that it's a huge problem.

MM6 works perfectly.

Running as administrator did not change anything for any of the games, though I did try it several times with different registry settings for MM7 and MM8. I don't have an objection to running games as administrator and I always try it if I have problems but if I don't need to or if it doesn't help I generally just run things as a standard user.

Thanks again!

MM7 and MM8 work well when it comes to gameplay, but the videos freeze after a few seconds; only the audio continues. Old pages found by Googling say that a few registry changes will fix that, but that solution didn't work for me. Also the mouse is a little sluggish in MM7 and MM8, but not so much that it's a huge problem.
Is this the "cinematics" (e.g, the intro at game launch, death prologue, ect) or just the scenes in shops and such? If it's the prior, that's a known issue and will be fixed shortly however if it's the latter (shops) then I'll need to look into it.
It's just the cinematics; intro, death, etc. Entering shops and conversations with NPCs work just fine.

It sounds like you've got a handle on it.