It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Ran into something unusual the other day.

Managed to get the "high level experiments" random event that awards you all the techs in a given field. This was relatively early in the game, and all my techs were around 150-250 RP. I was researching Space Academy, so that's the tech I got. I picked capsule research (Battle Pods, etc.) as the new field. The game immediately kicked me back to the research screen, and the field I had picked (Construction) showed up totally blank--no techs listed at all. I thought that maybe the game had awarded me an extra field's worth of tech since Space Academy was almost done when the random event happened, and picked something else (though I don't remember what) and kept playing. When that tech was finished and the research screen came up again, the capsule research techs were back. They hadn't been awarded to me after all, but had briefly vanished from the available selections.

I neglected to keep a save for this, as it didn't break anything and the rest of the game continued as normal, though it did strike me as a little odd.
alex.123: 2. I also saw this but have lost the save. So yes, save with reproducible leader capture would be nice.
Well, it just happened again, so it definitely still does happen in 1.5. Interestingly - I had the leader on the captured ship for a bit, but I scrapped the ship shortly after for the techs... several turns later, I faced the same leader in battle again! So I believe they do remain part of their original empire while I have them. I wonder if, if it happened in multiplayer, the original owner could just reassign them to a new ship to get them back?

This happened in a VDC mod game after I tweaked some of the stock VDC values. Is there anything special I need to do with the saves if I'm not playing with a stock configuration, or could I just send one over?
Kunan: So I believe they do remain part of their original empire while I have them. I wonder if, if it happened in multiplayer, the original owner could just reassign them to a new ship to get them back?
Yes, thats how it works, and it will be fixed in upcoming release.
Kunan: This happened in a VDC mod game after I tweaked some of the stock VDC values. Is there anything special I need to do with the saves if I'm not playing with a stock configuration, or could I just send one over?
You can just send save and name the mod you are using. In case of custom configuration we'll also need EXTRACT.CFG which holds you latest config.

About this particular bug, we have the fix already, will be in upcoming release. Sorry i did not mention it earlier.

srhill: "high level experiments" ... the field I had picked (Construction) showed up totally blank--
Also fixed, thanks for the report.
alex.123: Also fixed, thanks for the report.
Been waiting for this one to show up for a while. It's a holdover from previous versions that I thought might have been fixed.

On the next turn, a pirate raid will result in the theft of negative ~30,000 BC from the treasury. Probably an overflow bug related to the high level of income per turn.

SAVE5
alex.123: You can just send save and name the mod you are using. In case of custom configuration we'll also need EXTRACT.CFG which holds you latest config.

About this particular bug, we have the fix already, will be in upcoming release. Sorry i did not mention it earlier.
Ok, sounds good.

Oh, another little quality-of-life thing: would it be possible to make overflow research roll over? That is, when a tech has more than enough research allocated to hit 100% breakthrough chance in this turn, would it be possible to have the extra get rolled over to the next researched tech, the way that manufacturing is? Not a big deal, but would save time late-game so that you don't have to juggle people around or waste RP when picking up earlier techs in fields you haven't been focusing on.

thanks again! I'm looking forward to the your next release already.
Is it possible to remove the "maximum research per turn" limit, or is it perhaps limited to 7 bits?

Not that it really matters in "normal" games, only if you are crazy enough to go for the absolute high score.

Regarding the captured leader bug,
it happened to me several times in 1.4xxx and also at least 1 time in games using an early 1.5xxx version.
Not quite sure, I think it happened only when all 4 ship leader slots were already occupied?
Sometimes the game even asked whether i want to send the leader to the pool before i scrap the ship.
It did not help to dimiss a ship leader to free a slot for the captured one..

If the captured leader still provides his bonuses to enemy ships, would they not be visible as usual when i scan the ships?

Do you prefer a save just before a battle with "guaranteed" and low effort leader capture,
or when the ship with leader was already captured?

"research roll over"
This would probably make the game easier, so in case i would prefer to have that as an option in a config file.
townltu: Regarding the captured leader bug,
https://www.gog.com/forum/master_of_orion_series/master_of_orion_2_unofficial_150_patch/post78

Research roll with saved exceed RP's is probably worthy to do as an option, yes.
A couple of questions about the config files:

Starbase specials have two numbers listed on each row - the smaller one appears to be the index of the special. I'm not sure about the second, larger number, and the manual doesn't explain it either. What does it do?

Is there any way to configure the planets rolled in home systems? mapgen -tfixedhw = 1 sets them all to a certain fixed state, but is there any way to change what that setup is?
Kunan:
1. Second is a number of Technology, needed to be known to player, to install that special. For coherence it have to be the number of technology actually providing the special in question. Also you can try to refer to OCLImproved tool data for an explanation of some poorly documented options, like this one.
2. No.
Post edited October 31, 2016 by DarzaR
DarzaR: 1. Second is a number of Technology, needed to be known to player, to install that special. For coherence it have to be the number of technology actually providing the special in question. Also you can try to refer to OCLImproved tool data for an explanation of some poorly documented options, like this one.
Mm, yeah, its mostly unexplained atm and a crucial info for updating star base. Will add it to next iteration of manual.
For now, the manual_add.xls has a page AISHIPS_1 that shows you current star base designs, with tech numbers.
For example:
Heavy Armor is 14 / 361
Hard Shields is 13 / 360

from this info other techs numbers can be calculated using the tech list in extract.cfg.
for example high energy focus is heavy armor +3 in that list so it has number 364.
It's not most user friendly, but it works for now.
Post edited November 01, 2016 by Rocco.40
Kunan: Is there any way to configure the planets rolled in home systems? mapgen -tfixedhw = 1 sets them all to a certain fixed state, but is there any way to change what that setup is?
If you want to have full control over the galaxy set-up, including your home system you need to use save game editor Corion. It can be downloaded from Nirran's site. Link is on my website.
Kunan: Is there any way to configure the planets rolled in home systems? mapgen -tfixedhw = 1 sets them all to a certain fixed state, but is there any way to change what that setup is?
Rocco.40: If you want to have full control over the galaxy set-up, including your home system you need to use save game editor Corion. It can be downloaded from Nirran's site. Link is on my website.
Yeah, I've had a copy of it for years.

It's just be nice to be able to have multiplayer games just generate without people randomly getting tiny/ultrapoor/low-g while someone else gets a large/ocean/rich in the same place. Given scheduling difficulties, it's nice to have games move as quickly as possible, you know? But on that same principle of "the game moves quickly," it'd be nice to be able to guarantee that your home system will have favorable planets that let you get up and running quickly.

Having to edit the file and reload the save takes time, and I do wish I could just have the generator take care of it in a fraction of a second.
Post edited November 01, 2016 by Kunan
In the 1.4 fan patch there was a mod filling that need (ie 'goodstart'). You started the game with switches added after 'orion.exe'. They were a bit tricky to turn on with GOG's version of MoO2 though, as GOG hides away the DOS environment.
Post edited November 01, 2016 by Themken
Themken: In the 1.4 fan patch there was a mod filling that need (ie 'goodstart'). You started the game with switches added after 'orion.exe'. They were are bit tricky to turn on with GOG's version of MoO2 though as GOG hides away the DOS environment.
Indeed, and goodstart is also part of the 1.50 patch as well as a dozen other Mapgen / HW parameters.