If there was anything you could change about MOO2 what would it be? and why
-- The big three that would make me rebuy the game for a new release AAA price --
1. new additional map sizes. The biggest one would make the original huge one look tiny. Why? Because it is tiny ;)
2. Diplomacy fine tuning. i.e. Make the AI behave more to their alignment & more truthful to honing deal made. Having a "pacifist" race with a for decades established friendship & trading going all out genocide out of the blue is a real downer to immersion. The diplomatic options in game-play themselves are great as they are.
3. Hd graphics/animations with moderns screen resolution (but keeping the art style)
4. "Artificial Planet" module for Ships tech; discovering a system with 3 huge gas giants & 2 asteroid fields makes my heart bleed ;)
5. Tiny fun techs with minimalistic improvements after about every 10-15 advanced techs at the end of the tech screen.
I agree with these, plus
6. Ability to set up a default automatic queue for all new planets. Even if I had to go in and edit it as the game went along and tech improved, it would be nice.
7. Ability to remove or deactivate a weapon system in a captured ship (Who cares if I can't replace it). I screwed up all my treaties last game because I didn't realize the one captured ship in my fleet had Death Spores and I ran into a planet with a psychic system governor, so bombardment was required. Also the ability to keep a captured station.
8. The ability to make the same offers to the NPC as they can to me (start a tech trade offer, by offering something, ro requesting something)
9. Ability to either clean up a toxic planet, or blow it up and rebuild it as a Barren, without having to do the "Give away system/blow up own former colony/rebuild planet after reconquering the system" schtick.
10. Easier means of transferring colonists from system to system