It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
XBOX 360 CONTROLLER FOR WINDOWS NOT WORKING/NOT RECOGNIZED

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver uses DirectInput technology to recognize and configure controllers. The Xbox 360 Controller uses XInput technology. While the Xbox 360 Controller has backward compatibility with DirectInput, it does not work correctly with Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver. To resolve this challenge, download and configure the game to use XInput Plus.

NOTE: These instructions assume that Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver is using the default gamepad configuration. If it is not, reset the button configuration by going to Options > Gamepad Configuration.

01. Navigate to XInput Plus Home Page (Japanese).
02. Click on the XInput Plus Ver4.14.3 link at the top of the page (or newer, if available).
03. Extract the contents of the ZIP file.
04. Double-click XInputPlus.exe.

NOTE: If the program launches in Japanese, click the second to last tab (to the right of the tab labeled DirectInput), then click the third sub-tab. Next, click the Language drop-down and select English. Finally, close the program and re-launch it. It should now display in English.

05. Click the Select button and choose the kain2.exe file located in the Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver installation folder.
06. Click the DirectInput tab and select Enable DirectInput Output.
07. Click the Customize button.
08. Click the corresponding DirectInput drop-down button next to its XInput equivalent and change them as follows:

Left Trigger = Button7
Right Trigger = Button8
A = Button2
B = Button3
X = Button1
Y = Button4
LB = Button5
RB = Button6
BACK = Button9
START = Button10
LS Button = Set to "Blank"
RS Button = Set to "Blank"
Guide = Set to "Blank"

09. Click OK.
10. Click Apply, then Quit.

With these settings, the game's default controls are as follows:

Left Stick = Move Raziel while running, flying, climbing or swimming / Select Menu items
X Button = Action. Tap to: Attack / Manipulate objects, doors and switches / Select spell from Glyph menu
A Button = Jump / Swim / Accept menu selection
B Button = Devour soul
Y Button = Aim / Grapple. Tap to grapple stunned enemies / Perform fatal blows on stunned enemies / Aim and shoot projectiles
Left Bumper = Crouch / Crawl
Right Bumper = Autoface the nearest enemy (tap to change enemy facing) / Sneak
Left Trigger or Right Trigger = Rotate camera around Raziel
Left Trigger + Right Trigger = Look-around mode
Back Button = Open or close Glyph menu
Start Button = Pause / Resume game

Left Bumper + A Button = High jump / Speed burst underwater
A Button + A Button = Tap, then press and hold A Button. Raziel will jump, then use his wings to glide

When the game is launched, a short beep will be played, indicating that XInput Plus is active.
Post edited April 05, 2017 by donvalor
I'd like to point out, that this guide also works with the Xbox One controller, just in case anyone was wondering.
Cheers! :)
Hello,

Thanks for this tutorial but (as you might have guessed), I'll be annoying and ask if it's possible to make it work for a Playstation controller ?
I tried some manipulations with DS4Windows and XInput Plus but without success :-/

EDIT : well nevermind, for whatever reason DS4Windows doesn't detect my PS4 controller anymore so since I found my old 360 controller, I'll use it (thanks again for the tutorial, it works great !).
Post edited May 12, 2019 by Snowman59
Does this get rid of the annoying run around in circles bug and does the PC version of the game have proper analogue?
Spectre: Does this get rid of the annoying run around in circles bug and does the PC version of the game have proper analogue?
Sorry for the late answer but in fact it's because the game was not programmed to be played with analog controller, only d-pad.

BUT there is a workaround here.

It perfectly works with a PS4 controller (with DS4 Windows opened) but I don't know if you still need XInput Plus.

EDIT :...and it doesn't work anymore, great ! Not even 24 hours -_-
Please GOG could you go back to your roots and fix the games for modern systems before putting them on the platform ? Tinkering the games by yourself is not really fun...

EDIT 2 : ok so apparently I fixed it by reinstalling the game, you DON'T need XIputPlus, just the file above + DS4Windows
Post edited January 04, 2020 by Snowman59
Spectre: Does this get rid of the annoying run around in circles bug and does the PC version of the game have proper analogue?
Snowman59: Sorry for the late answer but in fact it's because the game was not programmed to be played with analog controller, only d-pad.

BUT there is a workaround here.

It perfectly works with a PS4 controller (with DS4 Windows opened) but I don't know if you still need XInput Plus.

EDIT :...and it doesn't work anymore, great ! Not even 24 hours -_-
Please GOG could you go back to your roots and fix the games for modern systems before putting them on the platform ? Tinkering the games by yourself is not really fun...

EDIT 2 : ok so apparently I fixed it by reinstalling the game, you DON'T need XIputPlus, just the file above + DS4Windows
I tried this but it doesn't seem to work for me. I have PS4 controller up and running with DS4Windows (tested on Witcher 2). Also tried before and after copying the DLL file in and it simply won't recognize the controller at all. Any ideas? Would love to play this game again but found mouse and keyboard absolutely horrendous >_<.
Nothing works for me.
I use a PDP Xbox pad.
Thank you GoG for NEVER patch/configure games in order they work on new systems anymore. Thank you a lot !
I've been trying to use my x one controller with joytokey, xinputplus and more, none works. it just piss me off

Edit : ok after 2 more hour, i found Xidi who works... Seems to works at least. Buttons and stick works but the dead zone make the game unplayable...
Post edited August 29, 2020 by hellfire_maga
Hello,

The link for download "XInput Plus." is not working anymore.
Someone have found another solution ?
Xinput wrappers
[url=http://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Glossary:Controller#XInput_wrappers]http://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Glossary:Controller#XInput_wrappers[/url]

Greven0: The link for download "XInput Plus." is not working anymore.
Yeah. And this solution is in thread with 77+ posts on the top of this forum: here.

Full info about the solution (which is linked in the first post of described thread): here.

Full info about the native support of all gamepads for SR1 and comparison with the outdated garbage like XInputPlus: here.

Info on the pc gaming wiki: here.
Ok many thanks i'll try this !
Post edited March 04, 2024 by ponczo_
It work thank you !
I have finish the game :).

I have try this solution for SR2, but it doesn't work. Have any advise ?

Best regards

Greven0: The link for download "XInput Plus." is not working anymore.
Yeah. And this solution is in thread with 77+ posts on the top of this forum: here.

Full info about the solution (which is linked in the first post of described thread): here.

Full info about the native support of all gamepads for SR1 and comparison with the outdated garbage like XInputPlus: here.

Info on the pc gaming wiki: here.
This is the only patch that fixes the controller issues, but it also breaks all pre-rendered video playback. You only get black screen with sound when you start the game or play the beginning cutscene. The videos work out of the box but not after the patch.

EDIT: It also breaks widescreen entirely. The game no longer recognizes 4:3 resolutions as being more narrow, and stretches them out to fill a wide screen instead of pillarboxing it with black spaces on the sides. So when you use this patch you are either stuck with a widescreen resolution that has a nauseating field of view made for PS1 era games played on 4:3 displays, or you have a 4:3 resolution forcefully stretched to fill a 16:9 display.

So it would seem that you can only play this game broken one way or broken another way. Either you have a perfectly functional game with no controller support, or you have a totally broken game with controller support. Pick your poison.

EDIT 2: Apparently picking windowed mode fixes the video rendering. So if you want an appropriate field of view, pick a 4:3 resolution and then play the game in windowed mode. The videos will play, controller input works, and you won't get seasick from looking at a zoomed-in game at 16:9.

EDIT 3: Notice: The vanilla game lists "zoom" as a separate bind but when you use this fix and play with the gamepad, that bind doesn't exist. Instead there is a contextual action where you need to hold both camera panning buttons to activate freelook. If you don't know this, you can't fight one of the bosses while playing with a gamepad.
Post edited March 04, 2024 by ponczo_
donvalor: XBOX 360 CONTROLLER FOR WINDOWS NOT WORKING/NOT RECOGNIZED

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver uses DirectInput technology to recognize and configure controllers. The Xbox 360 Controller uses XInput technology. While the Xbox 360 Controller has backward compatibility with DirectInput, it does not work correctly with Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver. To resolve this challenge, download and configure the game to use XInput Plus.

NOTE: These instructions assume that Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver is using the default gamepad configuration. If it is not, reset the button configuration by going to Options > Gamepad Configuration.

02. Click on the XInput Plus Ver4.14.3 link at the top of the page (or newer, if available).

NOTE: If the program launches in Japanese, click the second to last tab (to the right of the tab labeled DirectInput), then click the third sub-tab. Next, click the Language drop-down and select English. Finally, close the program and re-launch it. It should now display in English.

05. Click the Select button and choose the kain2.exe file located in the Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver installation folder.
08. Click the corresponding DirectInput drop-down button next to its XInput equivalent and change them as follows:

Left Trigger = Button7
Right Trigger = Button8
A = Button2
B = Button3
X = Button1
Y = Button4
LB = Button5
RB = Button6
BACK = Button9
START = Button10
Guide = Set to "Blank"

09. Click OK.

Left Stick = Move Raziel while running, flying, climbing or swimming / Select Menu items
X Button = Action. Tap to: Attack / Manipulate objects, doors and switches / Select spell from Glyph menu
B Button = Devour soul
Y Button = Aim / Grapple. Tap to grapple stunned enemies / Perform fatal blows on stunned enemies / Aim and shoot projectiles

A Button + A Button = Tap, then press and hold A Button. Raziel will jump, then use his wings to glide

When the game is launched, a short beep will be played, indicating that XInput Plus is active.
7-2-21

I tried following your exact instructions but no matter what...SR1...Raziel just keeps running to the left in a circle automatically...pressing buttons on my xbox360 controller do nothing in the game ( wine 6.11 gog version of sr1 ) Help please?
donvalor: XBOX 360 CONTROLLER FOR WINDOWS NOT WORKING/NOT RECOGNIZED

Left Trigger = Button7
Right Trigger = Button8
A = Button2
B = Button3
X = Button1
Y = Button4
LB = Button5
RB = Button6
BACK = Button9
START = Button10
Guide = Set to "Blank"

09. Click OK.

B Button = Devour soul

This worked perfectly with an xbox series x controller as well and I was able to enjoy this classic without further issues.
One thing I want to add: it helps increasing the deadzone of the left stick, given that the original ps1 controller only had dpad. 65% was my sweetspot.

Do you by any chance know how to fix the issues with Soul Reaver 2???
Post edited September 11, 2022 by M3TOXI