It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

cityhunter1: GOG takes refuge behind the rights and he says his games have a fair license for English
  ScummVm that is used for the platform says that it is not their responsibility when I ask for help to introduce a translation with legally purchased games

In short, it is always the fault to other and there is no responsible face to the problem

I abandon the subject
I am disgusted
Your logic isn't exactly equating out into anything resembling an orderly sequence.

Neither GOG or ScummVM can do a thing without the rights or the actual files. Neither of them can just magically pull the subtitles from a hat and then hammer them into place. If either tried the former, that could lead to legal troubles as neither of them don't have permission to use the subtitles someone else wrote from an outside source.
cityhunter1: GOG takes refuge behind the rights and he says his games have a fair license for English
ScummVm that is used for the platform says that it is not their responsibility when I ask for help to introduce a translation with legally purchased games

In short, it is always the fault to other and there is no responsible face to the problem

I abandon the subject
I am disgusted
Darvond: Your logic isn't exactly equating out into anything resembling an orderly sequence.

Neither GOG or ScummVM can do a thing without the rights or the actual files. Neither of them can just magically pull the subtitles from a hat and then hammer them into place. If either tried the former, that could lead to legal troubles as neither of them don't have permission to use the subtitles someone else wrote from an outside source.
In 1 or 2 years when there will be competition on games without drm and also on steam, things will change .... there is already Epic games who arrives, we will see, patience is required

the dematerialized games will arrive in streaming by 2020 and the new gen of consoles, it will well shake up the sector

Subtitles exist, just have the original game boxes
I look elsewhere for a personal solution as here, I do not see any help possible ... good evening to all
Post edited January 22, 2019 by cityhunter1
cityhunter1: it's been almost 2 years since I bought king quest 5,6,7,8

There are French subtitles in floppy disk, cd version (abandonware)

it's been too long that we wait, play 320x200 pixels version on DosBox 0.74 is not fun..c is why I bought the paid versions ... why do not we recover the French subtitles ... my patience is worn out by waiting for no answer ... I'm not a hacker ... there are even digitized voices, music roland MT32 in the game and it would be a good time to please fans for the new year 2019 ...

But Space Quest 4,5 and 6 (abandonware games) french subtitles and not french subtitles in the GOG game or not digiized voices, music...or sierra games, quest for glory1-5 and many old adventure games

The double-sided pics of the 3 original gaming boxes in French of king quest 5, 6 and 7
Because the Queen said, "Let 'em eat cake!' ....drumroll, cymbal crash...*groan*....;) (Sorry!)
cityhunter1: ScummVm that is used for the platform says that it is not their responsibility when I ask for help to introduce a translation with legally purchased games
ScummVM is a large open source project to get all of these old games running on all sorts of modern platforms.

ScummVM will already run the French versions. I personally own the French version of King's Quest 5 and we have even fixed a bug with the game scripts, that made it impossible to actually play the French version to the very end.

But we can't do anything about GOG not adding these versions, we are not right holders for anything except for ScummVM itself and for us it's a problem when people link so called "abandonware" sites on our forums, because there is no "abandonware", it's instead simply piracy. That's why the thread was cleaned up re: links and then locked.

We do not want to get shut down and we also do not want to be connected in any way shape or form to piracy.

ScummVM is not a collection of games, but instead a way to play these games and the French versions work just fine with it already. You simply have to own them.
Post edited October 04, 2019 by m_kiewitz
Darvond: Neither GOG or ScummVM can do a thing without the rights or the actual files. Neither of them can just magically pull the subtitles from a hat and then hammer them into place. If either tried the former, that could lead to legal troubles as neither of them don't have permission to use the subtitles someone else wrote from an outside source.
What people could do is to re-translate the game by themselves (as in: not copy the original work of the official translators) and release that in patch file form. That would be considered legal. However I doubt GOG would distribute these.

We support several fan-translations of certain games.

What would be do-able from a technical standpoint is copying the originally translated text and make game patch files out of that, but from a legal standpoint that is still piracy, which we wouldn't add as an official version and we also wouldn't support in any way if issues appear, because as you said - we want to avoid any legal troubles plus even if there wouldn't be legal troubles, we don't support piracy.

Situations like this here suck, but I guess people could try to figure out the legal situation and maybe try to find out who actually owns the rights and try to contact these people. As previously mentioned it was probably not done by Sierra itself.

Several Sierra games that were translated to Spanish were in fact not published by Sierra itself (I own the original boxed versions). I guess something similar happened to the French ones, so you can't even blame Sierra On-Line for this.

Also note: Most companies never thought that their games would still be played and especially did not think they would still be sold 25+ years later, and I'm not surprised. Tons of companies did not even save the source code of their games, although development costs of games like these were millions of USD. The same happened to other classics like Silent Hill 2, which were even released 5-10 years later.
Darvond: Neither GOG or ScummVM can do a thing without the rights or the actual files. Neither of them can just magically pull the subtitles from a hat and then hammer them into place. If either tried the former, that could lead to legal troubles as neither of them don't have permission to use the subtitles someone else wrote from an outside source.
m_kiewitz: What people could do is to re-translate the game by themselves (as in: not copy the original work of the official translators) and release that in patch file form. That would be considered legal. However I doubt GOG would distribute these.

We support several fan-translations of certain games.

What would be do-able from a technical standpoint is copying the originally translated text and make game patch files out of that, but from a legal standpoint that is still piracy, which we wouldn't add as an official version and we also wouldn't support in any way if issues appear, because as you said - we want to avoid any legal troubles plus even if there wouldn't be legal troubles, we don't support piracy.

Situations like this here suck, but I guess people could try to figure out the legal situation and maybe try to find out who actually owns the rights and try to contact these people. As previously mentioned it was probably not done by Sierra itself.

Several Sierra games that were translated to Spanish were in fact not published by Sierra itself (I own the original boxed versions). I guess something similar happened to the French ones, so you can't even blame Sierra On-Line for this.

Also note: Most companies never thought that their games would still be played and especially did not think they would still be sold 25+ years later, and I'm not surprised. Tons of companies did not even save the source code of their games, although development costs of games like these were millions of USD. The same happened to other classics like Silent Hill 2, which were even released 5-10 years later.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------

I legally bought the entire series king quest 1-8 on GOG

I am not a computer hacker and I will not try to buy the original games on Ebay to try to have the subtitles in French ....
I said that there were subtitles in German, Spanish and French

That all this is a question of author rights for translation and a question surely money

But trying to find out who translated the series king quest 5-8 is not complicated for those who own the physical version, just look in the credits of the game or the back of the game jacket

Ditto for the Space Quest series or the Quest of Glory

good week and thanks
cityhunter1: I legally bought the entire series king quest 1-8 on GOG
Yes, but only the versions you received.

I said that there were subtitles in German, Spanish and French
Yes.
There were additional localized releases. The original English releases, which are sold on GOG, did not include foreign subtitles. For example in Germany it was common to first sell the English-only version and later sell the localized floppy version, which included English as well as German. And they sold that new version for full price once again. The former often had a localized manual, but the game was still English only.

These localized versions often included updated versions of games.
Sometimes these localized versions also had additional bugs. For example King's Quest 5 French crashed at the end because of a script issue. It was not possible to complete it (ScummVM fixes that bug, so now you can).
That all this is a question of author rights for translation and a question surely money
That's even the question.
Some may have been translated by Sierra themselves, GOG still would have to verify, and maybe they already did.
In any way, just try to contact GOG staff and ask if they checked and if rights issues hold these versions back.
It would be awesome if they could add all the localized versions to these Sierra bundles.

As I said previously, I doubt they will be able to add all of them, simply because of rights issues. I own a few boxed Spanish versions myself, and they were really not localized by Sierra. Sierra probably does not have the rights to these translations. There also were Polish versions of some games, once again translated by a local Polish company.