It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Hey everyone:

First off, let me begin by saying I'm primarily a Mac user, and all the games I have downloaded from gog.com (mostly Sierra Games) have worked on my MacBook Pro using WINESKIN to extract the .exe file into a folder with the games' contents, and then importing the folder into BOXER to play the game itself.

After downloading many games from gog.com, most of them have been fully playable with Boxer. There are a few I have had to tweak the game folder's contents before importing them into Boxer. I've searched around for various solutions to each of these games, and will be posting solutions to the ones I had to mess with in order to get them to work properly.

Here is the solution I found to fixing the problem of getting the "Cannot find 999.pal resource." error message in King's Quest 7, thus making the game unplayable:

1. Open the game folder and open the file "RESOURCE.CFG" with a basic text editor like TextEdit.

2. Copy and paste this into the file (or edit the pre-existing text to look like this):

videoDrv = VESA.DRV
soundDrv = genmidi.DRV
audioDrv = DACBLAST.DRV
joyDrv = NO
directory = \sierra\kqc\kq7d
cmd = KQ7
mouseDrv = NONE
memoryDrv = NONE
minMemory = 1600k
brightness= 0
language = 1
minCPU = 386
CD = yes

resMap=.\
resAUD=.\
resSFX=.\
patchDir=.\;.\PATCHES;.\AVI
robot=.\

3. Save the file (replace the old RESOURCE.CFG file with this new one).

4. Create a new simple text file containing this text:

sierra -o .\resource.cfg
:end

5. Save this file as "KQ7.BAT".

You can now be import the game into Boxer and when prompted, use the KQ7.BAT file to launch the game!
Post edited June 18, 2016 by wellokbut
wellokbut: Hey everyone:

First off, let me begin by saying I'm primarily a Mac user, and all the games I have downloaded from gog.com (mostly Sierra Games) have worked on my MacBook Pro using WINESKIN to extract the .exe file into a folder with the games' contents, and then importing the folder into BOXER to play the game itself.

After downloading many games from gog.com, most of them have been fully playable with Boxer. There are a few I have had to tweak the game folder's contents before importing them into Boxer. I've searched around for various solutions to each of these games, and will be posting solutions to the ones I had to mess with in order to get them to work properly.

Here is the solution I found to fixing the problem of getting the "Cannot find 999.pal resource." error message in King's Quest 7, thus making the game unplayable:

1. Open the game folder and open the file "RESOURCE.CFG" with a basic text editor like TextEdit.

2. Copy and paste this into the file (or edit the pre-existing text to look like this):

videoDrv = VESA.DRV
soundDrv = genmidi.DRV
audioDrv = DACBLAST.DRV
joyDrv = NO
directory = \sierra\kqc\kq7d
cmd = KQ7
mouseDrv = NONE
memoryDrv = NONE
minMemory = 1600k
brightness= 0
language = 1
minCPU = 386
CD = yes

resMap=.\
resAUD=.\
resSFX=.\
patchDir=.\;.\PATCHES;.\AVI
robot=.\

3. Save the file (replace the old RESOURCE.CFG file with this new one).

4. Create a new simple text file containing this text:

sierra -o .\resource.cfg
:end

5. Save this file as "KQ7.BAT".

You can now be import the game into Boxer and when prompted, use the KQ7.BAT file to launch the game!
I tried doing all that but unfortunately I still can't get the game to run. I'm still getting "unknown command or file name" in regards to the KQ7.BAT file. I just don't know what to do. It seems like that has solved everybody else issue but mine.
wellokbut: snip
Man, this tweak must have taken a while to figure out. This worked splendidly for me, after I figured out I had to create a plain txt file before changing it to .bat. Some odd formatting before threw off Boxer.

At first, I was trying to see if I was able to run it in ScummVM - since the game files do not include a typical iso "gog" file as is the case with most DOS games - but for whatever reason the app does not recognize KQ7 at all, and the file documentation on their site regarding the game is pretty much worthless to me. So, thank you very much for this. :)
Post edited September 20, 2017 by mistermumbles