I played Book 1 on my Gaming PC, but wanted to play Book 2 on my Macbook Pro 15" while on tour.
The game starts normally and i can start Book 2 and play until the first conversation where you have to decide to go downstairs or the ladder up. After the conversation the screen goes black and i only see the cursor and can´t click anything.
Machine is a Macbook Pro 15" Retina Early 2013 running the latest macOS X Version
this is odd. I cannot guarantee to make it run on your old Macbook. However, let's try to fix this together and experiment if Book 2 runs at all on your Macbook by verifying a clean game state. Please follow my steps:
1) Make sure the game is not running.
2) Browse to the folder "The Pillars of the Earth" at this directory:
Mac (bought in Steam): /*USER*/Library/Application Support/Daedalic Entertainment GmbH/The Pillars of the Earth
3) Move this folder elsewhere (e.g. Desktop). It contains some user configurations and your savegames. Save the folder to revert things to the state before if needed. Don't worry, when you start the game again after doing this, it will be created again with the game's defaults.
4) Download a savegame from our support page, which puts you in the room you mentioned. This should be "savegame20". Make sure you grab the one for the right version (supposedly 1.1.636). Link to the support page: http://www.daedalicsupport.com/en/games/die-s%C3%A4ulen-der-erde/duplikat-von-savegames.html
Please be aware, that these savegames contain premade decisions made by us (they stick to the basic book plot).
5) Copy the savegame to the directory mentioned on the top of the support page.
6) Start up the game and load the savegame.
7) Verify if it's fine now.
Hope it helps. Have a Happy New Year!