It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Seriously! It's been over 7 years now since these issues started coming and it's been (from what I've seen) a near-universal problem for all W8/W10 users. You claim on the store page that "the game is compatible with Win8/Win10", but as we all know by now, that's absolute rubbish! It's not compatible for shit with either of the above operating systems.

When can we expect the products we buy on this site to actually WORK on our newer systems? Because that's LITERALLY what this site used to be for, before it started selling out and being more about promoting CDPR and other "indie" developers.
Post edited July 30, 2020 by Captain_Seasick
No posts in this topic were marked as the solution yet. If you can help, add your reply
You need to use dgVoodoo2
LazyLester: You need to use dgVoodoo2
maybe that will help..... but ................it should not be necessary and after all the game does RUN on win 10 as long as
as you do not ALT TAB the game .... ??? or any other way that supposedly works, i tried and nothing works .doesnt work cause win 10 doesnt allow/like that .

more (old) games seem to have the same ALT TAB problem most of them are 16 bit games ( 95/98/SE ) that were 'fixed'.

I almost forgot that link that leads you to the download for that dxwnd always pops up warning so it is a liitle ??? that dxwnd stuff.

edit ; this topic can be closed cause a solution has not been given and i stil need proper ALT TAB to tab back and forth between old games like in win xp and win 7, the problem is the mouse pointer freezes so you can't click on anything

Anyway dgvoodoo gives too many 'false'positives ( google for it) cant take a risk getting the tool and get some malware. aswell.
Post edited August 06, 2020 by gamesfreak64
gamesfreak64: edit ; this topic can be closed cause a solution has not been given and i stil need proper ALT TAB to tab back and forth between old games like in win xp and win 7, the problem is the mouse pointer freezes so you can't click on anything
Except YOU are not the one that created the thread so YOU don't get to choose whether it should be "closed" or not. If you wanna report YOUR issues, do it in YOUR OWN THREAD.
Post edited August 11, 2020 by Captain_Seasick
Captain_Seasick: Except YOU are not the one that created the thread so YOU don't get to choose whether it should be "closed" or not. If you wanna report YOUR issues, do it in YOUR OWN THREAD.
Not the best idea actually, as he will not report own issues in own thread instead of it; in past he used to open multiple own threads for the same and same thing while still keeping loitering other nearby threads. Following your proposal here will be just more redundant threads from him about same thing, moreother, they would be useless, as the spammer not read solutions there anyway.
gamesfreak64: edit ; this topic can be closed cause a solution has not been given and i stil need proper ALT TAB to tab back and forth between old games like in win xp and win 7, the problem is the mouse pointer freezes so you can't click on anything
Captain_Seasick: Except YOU are not the one that created the thread so YOU don't get to choose whether it should be "closed" or not. If you wanna report YOUR issues, do it in YOUR OWN THREAD.
:D

wel well well ..... i made a mistake i mistook this topic for my own topic thats why i suggested to close it ....
People can make some mistakes so dont blow this thing up please, and use of caps is also not needed to tell a gamer who accidentally thought this topic was his own topic.

*sigh* .... i ''m sorry, i made a mistake so please stop replying in caps, if someone by accident ask a a topic i made to be closed ,the member thought it was its own topic i would never make a fuzz like this its too hot outside to make any fuzz :D
Post edited August 13, 2020 by gamesfreak64
I'm bumping the thread, 'cause no real fix has even been hinted at thus far.
Have you contacted GOG support directly?
I'm sure they hardly read these forums; it's basically impossible to keep track of everything here.
1.13 is not a patch and should not be included with the game.
If you want to play Ja2 Vanilla , try Straciatella. (its just vanilla with better resolution modes) maybe that runs smooth on your PC. It does on mine (win 10 64bit).
If u want to play Ja 2 1.13 there is a folder with compatibilty fixes (3 dll files and 1 reg file) try them. They work for me. (with those dll files no more stutter but bugged Air Map view, but its worth it)
Hmmm... I have no issues with my JA2, but I've fixed them up years ago and just zipped the installed game for reuse. ddraw.dll and other things were mentioned already - did you try these out?

I'll otherwise do a JA2 GoG install and do a file diff comparison to see what's different with my installation. Perhaps this can help you, then. However, if memory serves alt + tab does work, but has to be done twice to get back into the game. No problems with the air map as far as I remember.

As for 1.13 it is, indeed, an unofficial patch that still produces new builds at least weekly so GoG should not include it as it is not part of the official game.
Post edited July 09, 2021 by Warrgarbl
Just had a look... it's the usual 3 DLLs (libwine.ddl, wined3d.dll, ddraw.dll), but on my installation I also seem to have a different Smackw32.dll that is larger (94.0 vs 41.5 KB) and, interestingly, the GoG version's mss32.dll is slightly larger than mine (344 vs 340 KB). However the Smackw32.dll could be related to the Smack video player and therefore irrelevant to the in-game performance.

If there is an interest I can upload my files somewhere and you can give it a go. As I said - I've packaged my "base install" many years ago from an original JA2 from the Sirtech website, so I don't know what exactly I did or where I got the files.

EDIT: Actually, I was wrong and my install exhibits the same issues you described. I seem to remember it used to not be like that. Air map is garbled and leaving the game leads to a black screen.

I've done extensive testing and I could not avoid the issues you mentioned - namely either slow gameplay or the air map. When starting a new game all seemed fine, but when I loaded my old save games it was very slow as usual unless using the .dlls. Not sure what else to do.
Post edited July 16, 2021 by Warrgarbl
GOG simply doesn't give any **** ...
I know it's been a long time since the OP. But I've found a solution for the slow Win10 gameplay issue with JA2 and maybe it'll be helpful for others.

1 - Download the Wine3D files from here:
https://fdossena.com/?p=wined3d/index.frag

2 - Open the zipped folder using some sort of zip extractor.

3 - Copy the files contained in the zipped folder to the main install folder of Jagged Alliance 2 (see picture attached to this post).

4 - Run the game as usual (GOG shortcut or ja2.exe). Game will probably run fine now.
Attachments: