It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I am trying to run 1.13 on a new windows 10 machine, the game does not work at all without this and with it it does start and run, but only plays the sound, no picture at all. I have trierd different resolutions but no sucess. I have installed the latest version of this mod and its update (Build: 7435, 28 August 2014). Are there any fixes?
thraxman: I am trying to run 1.13 on a new windows 10 machine, the game does not work at all without this and with it it does start and run, but only plays the sound, no picture at all. I have trierd different resolutions but no sucess. I have installed the latest version of this mod and its update (Build: 7435, 28 August 2014). Are there any fixes?
Did you check in this tread?

https://www.gog.com/forum/jagged_alliance_series/113_modd

And might not be related, did you install directx 9.0c?
I tried all that already, Directx 9.0c is already installed (the Jagged Alliance series is the last of my GOG game series I have got round to installing). On a note Wildfire runs and plays fine, no issues at all, Unfinished Businesses on the other hand same as regular Jagged Alliance 2, Jagged Alliance 1 and Deadly Games play fine but they seem to run on a different engine.
thraxman: I tried all that already, Directx 9.0c is already installed (the Jagged Alliance series is the last of my GOG game series I have got round to installing). On a note Wildfire runs and plays fine, no issues at all, Unfinished Businesses on the other hand same as regular Jagged Alliance 2, Jagged Alliance 1 and Deadly Games play fine but they seem to run on a different engine.
As I am running on W8.1 I can only assist. I read that the latest update of W10 did screw heavily with older games. But no-one really found a solution (yet)
thraxman: I tried all that already, Directx 9.0c is already installed (the Jagged Alliance series is the last of my GOG game series I have got round to installing). On a note Wildfire runs and plays fine, no issues at all, Unfinished Businesses on the other hand same as regular Jagged Alliance 2, Jagged Alliance 1 and Deadly Games play fine but they seem to run on a different engine.
Goodaltgamer: As I am running on W8.1 I can only assist. I read that the latest update of W10 did screw heavily with older games. But no-one really found a solution (yet)
I will just have to leave it for now, its a popular game hopefully some fans somewhere will find or make a fix, ill keep an eye on the forum page. Thanks for your ideas anyway.
thraxman: I will just have to leave it for now, its a popular game hopefully some fans somewhere will find or make a fix, ill keep an eye on the forum page. Thanks for your ideas anyway.
I remember having read recently something about Win10 and old game and that it had problems with the 'native' resolution of WIn10. IIRC he was able to overcome it with running it in windowed mode but with another program. Unfortunate I can not remember the game nor the program anymore, already tried to find it, but rather hard without names :(

IIRC JA 2 1.13 has a JA2.ini file, try to set your desktop and the ini file to the same value. the 1.13 mod did not change the graphic engine and has you mentioned your regular JA 2 is working, right? So I can only assume that this might have something to do with it.
thraxman: I will just have to leave it for now, its a popular game hopefully some fans somewhere will find or make a fix, ill keep an eye on the forum page. Thanks for your ideas anyway.
Goodaltgamer: I remember having read recently something about Win10 and old game and that it had problems with the 'native' resolution of WIn10. IIRC he was able to overcome it with running it in windowed mode but with another program. Unfortunate I can not remember the game nor the program anymore, already tried to find it, but rather hard without names :(

IIRC JA 2 1.13 has a JA2.ini file, try to set your desktop and the ini file to the same value. the 1.13 mod did not change the graphic engine and has you mentioned your regular JA 2 is working, right? So I can only assume that this might have something to do with it.
The regular Jagged Allience 2 and Unfinished Business do not work, but the Wildfire expansion does, it runs perfectly, it boots straight into 1024x768. I have looked in all the .ini files I can find but can't see any resolution settings, the main ones i have are vfs_config.JA2Vanilla.ini, vfs_config.JA2113.ini, vfs_config.UB113.ini, and vfs_config.UBVanilla.ini. I can change the resolution with 1.13's starter INI Editor.exe, but it just bootinf into a black screen with the game's videos and menu music and sound effects playing. Nothing on screen, I have tried all the usual resolutions recommended for my montitor. I have many other games form GOG that use similar graphics and deisgns that run fine on the machine, mabye it's someting to do with this game it just doesn't like.
thraxman: snip
The same was somewhere posted here on GOG, but nevertheless just copied from a steam thread:

1. Download the v1.1.38 Version of the programm:

http://download.savannah.nongnu.org/releases/wined3d

2. Download the wined3d.exe
3. Extract It with 7zip or other extract-programm.
6. Copy ddraw.dll, libwine.dll and wined3d.dll from extracted $SYSDIR folder into the root folder of your JA2_wildfire installation.

This works for me on Windows 10 64bit.

Some more hints can be found in here, like deleting certain .slf files.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/215930/discussions/0/535150948592034575/?ctp=2

And Yes that was the program mentioned somewhere here as well and I hope it helps ;)
Post edited October 04, 2016 by Goodaltgamer
Thanks but I do not need this, Wildfire runs fine, its the regular game and Unfinished Business that are not working. Wildfire runs fine, which is why I can’t understand why the other two don’t as they run on the same engine and use most of the same resources.
thraxman: I am trying to run 1.13 on a new windows 10 machine, the game does not work at all without this and with it it does start and run, but only plays the sound, no picture at all. I have trierd different resolutions but no sucess. I have installed the latest version of this mod and its update (Build: 7435, 28 August 2014). Are there any fixes?
not sure what "(without) this" and "(with) it" exactly refers to,
but the stable 7435 realase incl its 7609 updates does not contain the fixes for win10,
only the develpment builds which you will find linked here:
http://thepit.ja-galaxy-forum.com/index.php?t=msg&th=20380&prevloaded=1&&start=,
i would recommend the 8301 as also the latest AFS(arulco folding stock) Mod is designed to work with it by default.
Despite the disclamer in Depris thread the dev builds generally work fine, to my experience no difference to stable,
sometimes a new feature still has bugs until next revision and all may need finetuning to be perfectly balanced.

In case you want to stay with stable 7609, integrate the fix from dev build into corresponding folders of your install branch.

idk the differences of a clean ja2 1.12 install(last official release) to the gog version.
if the latter comes with its own startup file(which may integrate something) dont use it,
instead try a direct shortcut to JA2.exe with above mentioned win10 fixes already integrated.
Post edited October 04, 2016 by townltu
townltu: not sure what "(without) this" and "(with) it" exactly refers to,
but the stable 7435 realase incl its 7609 updates does not contain the fixes for win10,
only the develpment builds which you will find linked here:
http://thepit.ja-galaxy-forum.com/index.php?t=msg&th=20380&prevloaded=1&&start=,
i would recommend the 8301 as also the latest AFS(arulco folding stock) Mod is designed to work with it by default.
Despite the disclamer in Depris thread the dev builds generally work fine, to my experience no difference to stable,
sometimes a new feature still has bugs until next revision and all may need finetuning to be perfectly balanced.

In case you want to stay with stable 7609, integrate the fix from dev build into corresponding folders of your install branch.

idk the differences of a clean ja2 1.12 install(last official release) to the gog version.
if the latter comes with its own startup file(which may integrate something) dont use it,
instead try a direct shortcut to JA2.exe with above mentioned win10 fixes already integrated.
Sorry if you don't understand by what I meant with & without. What I mean is:

Without: If I don’t install the 1.13 mod then the Jagged Alliance 2 and Unfinished Business won’t boot at all. They just immediately crash and I get the standard message Jagged Alliance 2 / Jagged Alliance 2.5 Expansion has stopped working.

With: If I do install 1.13 the games does boot, but they only play the sounds and music, no picture, I can here the opening videos and the sounds from the main menu but just a black screen and pressing keys or mouse clicking will not do anything. I have to hit the windows key, drop to desktop and close the game there.

As said above I find this strange as Wildfire runs perfectly without any alterations or additions.
thraxman: ...
Sorry if you don't understand by what I meant with & without. What I mean is:

Without: If I don’t install the 1.13 mod then the Jagged Alliance 2 and Unfinished Business won’t boot at all. They just immediately crash and I get the standard message Jagged Alliance 2 / Jagged Alliance 2.5 Expansion has stopped working.

With: If I do install 1.13 the games does boot, but they only play the sounds and music, no picture, I can here the opening videos and the sounds from the main menu but just a black screen and pressing keys or mouse clicking will not do anything. I have to hit the windows key, drop to desktop and close the game there.

As said above I find this strange as Wildfire runs perfectly without any alterations or additions.
Thanks for making that/it clear, and pardon me for my limited english language comprehension.

The issue appears to be related to playing the video format in win 8 & 10,
so you could try to copy the .dll files from the fix to your JA2InstallDir
and update the registry if not already done.

Wildfire may not cause the issue because it replaces some video with an empty file.
So you could also "replace" the videos of JA2 vanilla with copies of the empty video files,
or use empty text files(created with plain .txt editor like notepad!) with appropriate names.
(Not sure if the latter is suffiient or perhaps even required to prevent tne initialisation of the video engine)

JA2 video files are contained in \Ja2InstallDir\Data\data.slf.
The extension .slf is used for Sir Techs proprietary archive format, such files can be handled by the slfExplorer aka slfExplore.exe.
Link to dld page: http://www.jaggedalliance.de/download/filearchiv_list.php?group=7
English translation of slfexplorers german interface: http://ja2v113.pbworks.com/w/page/28862290/SLF%20Explorer%20Interface%20Translation

Open intro.slf and note all filenames in the left window,
create the folder Ja2InstallDir\Data\Intro and paste copies of Ja2WildfireInstallDir\Data\Intro\empty.smk respectively empty .txt files,
rename according to the names you noted in 1st step.

To remove the "hack" delete the folder \Intro incl all containing files.
Post edited October 04, 2016 by townltu
Problem can be partly solved, if the intro.slf in the data folder is deleted.
But game lacks then the intro...
LouisdeFuines: Problem can be partly solved, if the intro.slf in the data folder is deleted.
But game lacks then the intro...
Thanks a lot! It's that simple and it just works.
I reconfigured in ja2.ini to skip intro (crashed just after starting a new game and laptop menu was not displayed because black screen).