It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

nkevi: Here's how I got my I76 working:
Hi

A couple of clarifying questions to your instructions.

1. If the intention is to use the game's 3Dfx Glide mode, why do you need to "Extract the contents of MS into your I76 directory"? Aren't those files needed only for Direct3D/DirectDraw? Shouldn't just copying the 3Dfx/x86/ files be enough?

2. For some reason I couldn't add a forced refresh rate with dgVoodooCpl.exe, even if I wrote the refresh rate to the dgVoodooCpl.exe resolution field. According to these instructions http://dege.freeweb.hu/dgVoodoo2/Readme.html it should be written without "Hz", like e.g. 1024x768, 30

Anyway, even that didn't seem to write anything to the conf file for me, so I edited the conf file manually. I think this line is supposed to do the same thing, under the [Glide] section:

Resolution = h:1024, v:768, refrate:30

3. Where exactly in the shortcut do you put the "-glide" in order to force 3Dfx Glide support? The original shortcut in the GOG version is like this:

"C:\GOG Games\Interstate 76\GOGLauncher.exe" 1207661003

I tried:

"C:\GOG Games\Interstate 76\GOGLauncher.exe -glide" 1207661003

but Windows rejected that as invalid. Next I tried

"C:\GOG Games\Interstate 76\GOGLauncher.exe" 1207661003 -glide

but that didn't work either. What is the correct format for the shortcut?
Post edited July 18, 2019 by timppu
timppu: 1. If the intention is to use the game's 3Dfx Glide mode, why do you need to "Extract the contents of MS into your I76 directory"? Aren't those files needed only for Direct3D/DirectDraw? Shouldn't just copying the 3Dfx/x86/ files be enough?
afaik the game uses DirectDraw/GDI for the menus and car management screens between missions. so you definitely want the mircosoft dlls as well.
(it also has a D3D mode(iirc launch with: -d3d), though I don't know if that even still works in recent window versions)

timppu: 3. Where exactly in the shortcut do you put the "-glide" in order to force 3Dfx Glide support? The original shortcut in
the GOG version is like this:
i76.exe is the game's executable and needs the launch parameter to enable Glide support.
I don't know what the GOGLauncher.exe exactly does (besides launching i76.exe).
immi101: i76.exe is the game's executable and needs the launch parameter to enable Glide support.
I don't know what the GOGLauncher.exe exactly does (besides launching i76.exe).
Yeah I tried also with my own shortcut to i76.exe and adding -glide to it, but I think that ran it without any 3D acceleration then. I enabled the "show 3Dfx splash screen" and "show 3Dfx watermark" in the options too, just so that I would know for real that it runs in Glide mode.

Since the game does work in Direct3D mode, I tried to add that refresh rate limitation also to the Direct3D part of the config file, but as far as I can tell it didn't work. Not sure what exactly should be the forced refresh rate, I tried 30, 24 and even 15, but the game still seemed to run as fast as it could.
Post edited July 19, 2019 by timppu
I've also tried nkevi's solution & settings, and it seems like it might be a bit better than before, but I'm still seeing the framerate for the environment/other cars very low regardless of what I set the framerate to in the config file. I've tried both D3D and Glide modes.

I don't know a ton about what I should be expecting to see, but I'm seeing some stuff like the movies and skybox animating smoothly, but the actual 3D parts of the game running at a low framerate and kind of messed-up physics behaviors. (My understanding is that I76s' physics are tied to the framerate so makes sense.)

I'm running on 64-bit Windows 10 with the same settings nkevi suggested. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to set the framerate to, but I've tried both 24 and 30Hz.

Anyone else had any success?
I finally found a way to fix all the issues that I have seen m any others list in these forums for so long. I wish I could post it but I am not allowed to post any links yet. I will be posting the fixes on the first opportunity.
Xetrem190: I finally found a way to fix all the issues that I have seen m any others list in these forums for so long. I wish I could post it but I am not allowed to post any links yet. I will be posting the fixes on the first opportunity.
I hope you can soon, I didnt play this game back in the day, im comparatively new to pc gaming, but this game seemed interesting.

If you can in a pm or something though feel free to shoot me a message.
Post edited October 06, 2019 by Nexxus88
Xetrem190: I finally found a way to fix all the issues that I have seen m any others list in these forums for so long. I wish I could post it but I am not allowed to post any links yet. I will be posting the fixes on the first opportunity.
Nexxus88: I hope you can soon, I didnt play this game back in the day, im comparatively new to pc gaming, but this game seemed interesting.

If you can in a pm or something though feel free to shoot me a message.
The guide I wrote worked for my Windows 10 64 bit computer that I am using. The guide is located on my reddit page with the account name: Xetrem190

If reddit isn't your thing I have the link for it on my personal Discord server that I have set up. So far I havent really seen people come to my Discord but I got it set up regardless.

Discord Invite Code: yJgGZez
Post edited October 06, 2019 by Xetrem190
Xetrem190: snip
Found the reddit thread will give it a look later on, hopefully, it all works out for me, thanks!
Xetrem190: snip
Nexxus88: Found the reddit thread will give it a look later on, hopefully, it all works out for me, thanks!
Good luck! Hopefully it works out. And if you do get the game working, online multiplayer in Nitro Pack is still working. Not many people playing it like it used to but it is working.
tcote000: I've also tried nkevi's solution & settings, and it seems like it might be a bit better than before, but I'm still seeing the framerate for the environment/other cars very low regardless of what I set the framerate to in the config file. I've tried both D3D and Glide modes.

I don't know a ton about what I should be expecting to see, but I'm seeing some stuff like the movies and skybox animating smoothly, but the actual 3D parts of the game running at a low framerate and kind of messed-up physics behaviors. (My understanding is that I76s' physics are tied to the framerate so makes sense.)

I'm running on 64-bit Windows 10 with the same settings nkevi suggested. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to set the framerate to, but I've tried both 24 and 30Hz.

Anyone else had any success?
Okay I created a shortcut right clicked in Target put a space after Nitro.exe" - Glide 1024X768@60. Works better than original game no pixel yellow junk yay! This is -glide formatting works anywhere enjoy guys!@
Post edited October 28, 2019 by dudepruitt
chalkman: Did you ever find a version of Glide that works with Windows 10? I just upgraded to 10 and although the game runs fine under software, Glide refuses to work with both Nglide, and Dgvoodoo.
Neekapp: I'm new to Gog.com and only joined because of Interstate '76... Used to play this game as a kid back in like '97-'99 religiously and hack the hell out of it with hex editor. Anyways, I was lucky enough to find a disc copy in my city(online sale), put the disc in to install and it works perfectly fine on my Asus ROG Windows 10 PC. Ordered Nitro Pack online and that worked too with the original disc without issues. Well can't say no issues, the game does crash exiting back to your desktop for some reason. Brings back a lot of memories.

Never tried it online yet but apparently there is a small community that some how got it to work online and have some matches on Tuesdays... This again only from what I'm reading recently on interstate76.com forums.
I created a shortcut right clicked in Target put a space after Nitro.exe" - Glide 1024X768@60. Works better than original game no pixel yellow junk yay! This is -glide formatting works anywhere enjoy guys!@
I have edited my reddit guide with UCyborg's patch accordingly. It arguably is the best way to play the game despite sacrificing the fact no music plays at all anymore since there have been issues with it. But the main thing is that the game is running much better now and with the game running at 20 fps instead of 25 fps the gameplay is much better now.

For those that are interested in looking at my lengthy reddit guide. Here it is: https://www.reddit.com/user/Xetrem190/comments/d5b8ho/complete_guide_on_getting_interstate_76/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x
Neekapp: I'm new to Gog.com and only joined because of Interstate '76... Used to play this game as a kid back in like '97-'99 religiously and hack the hell out of it with hex editor. Anyways, I was lucky enough to find a disc copy in my city(online sale), put the disc in to install and it works perfectly fine on my Asus ROG Windows 10 PC. Ordered Nitro Pack online and that worked too with the original disc without issues. Well can't say no issues, the game does crash exiting back to your desktop for some reason. Brings back a lot of memories.

Never tried it online yet but apparently there is a small community that some how got it to work online and have some matches on Tuesdays... This again only from what I'm reading recently on interstate76.com forums.
dudepruitt: I created a shortcut right clicked in Target put a space after Nitro.exe" - Glide 1024X768@60. Works better than original game no pixel yellow junk yay! This is -glide formatting works anywhere enjoy guys!@
nGlide 2.10 is working with (stock) versions of the game.

Can confirm.
So bummed that GOG still hasn't fixed this. I've tried all the workarounds I've found in the forums with no luck. DXWND, Glide, you name it: none of them work for me, including the multiple frame cap solutions listed online.