It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Wasudan: I have a Radeon HD 7870 with driver ver. 16.3.2. This is how I got I76 to work in win10 at high resolution (1440x900) with hardware acceleration and glitchless physics:

1. I76.exe does not require any compatibility options in my case.
2. Make a shortcut of i76.exe and add "-glide", as usual.
3. Move somewhere or rename these files in the game's main directory:

glide.dll
glide2x.dll

4. Download dgvoodoo
5. Copy these files from dgvoodoo's MS directory into the I76 directory:

D3dImm.dll
Ddraw.dll

and glide2x.dll from dgvoodoo's 3Dfx directory into the I76 directory.

6. In DgvoodooSetup.exe in the general options tab set:

Full screen with Scaling mode set to centered

and in the Glide options tab set:

3Dfx card: Voodoo Rush
Onboard RAM: 2MB
Memory size per TMU: 2048kB
Number of TMUs: 1

(this got rid of some nasty texture corruption I was experiencing when using the default voodoo 2 settings)

Set up a custom resolution with custom resolution utility (monitortests.com/forum/thread-custom-resolution-utility-cru) that has the same vertical pixel count as your monitor's native resolution but 4:3 aspect ratio, e.g. if your monitor's native resolution is 1440x900, set the custom res to 1200x900. Use this resolution.
Force Vsync on

7. Make sure in your radeon software settings you have GPU scaling on and scaling mode set to maintain aspect ratio.

8. Now the game should run mostly fine but the framerate is still too high, even with Vsync on. I76's physics works best at 30 fps, which is what we want to set. The tool to do it is either Bandicam or MSI Afterburner (in the RivaTuner statistics menu). Both seem to work fine. I had no success with the Radeon software framerate limiter.

Oh, one more thing. Plays.tv application can throw a wrench in all your efforts. Turn it off.

The game should now run at your native resolution letterboxed (black bars on the sides). The game doesn't support widescreen and I prefer letterboxed over stretched.

Video demonstrating the result: youtube.com/watch?v=9UyOuqsvs64
Would this also work for windows 7 with a 5:4 screen
After trying various different configuration, I've settled on Glide using dgVoodoo in windowed mode. The biggest problem I have encountered with this is that if I set it to high resolution and have the Direct3D set up, the game menus are almost completely unusable. The main menu only seems to refresh (and thus show the current location of the mouse pointer) when I manage to hover over a selection. Any idea if there is anything that might help with this? Right now I am running the game without Direct3D, which works otherwise fine, but the colours in menus and cutscenes are messed up.

edit: Running the base I76.exe instead of the one patched with an FPS limit helps with the colours, though it still turns up now and then. Good enough for me!
Post edited June 08, 2018 by timotaka
Hi Everyone,

Trying to get Nitro to cooperate, Pulling my hair out here...

I've followed a few different guides on a few different occasions, trying all sorts of setups here and elsewhere to get this game to run in high-res fullscreen. No success - the menus ether bug out and have the bug where they only update when the mouse hits an interactive object, or the game crashes once a mission loads. "unhandled exception". setting compatibility modes/running as Admin doesn't help.

Running on Windows 10, GPU is an nVidia GTX 1080. Some folks have told me that nvidia's handling of centered timings might be the reason the game doesn't want to run a fullscreen window without stretching...i've given up on this.

The issue I'm having: I've limited the game to 24FPS using RivaTuner, and confirmed with Fraps frame counter. It is indeed running at 24FPS. I have the CPU affinity set to 0 (using the first of my 4 cores). EDIT: I am running the game in a window, and I can confirm that the below issue persists whether it's fullscreen or not:

The AI/wobbly wheels bug still persists, even though the game is frame-limited. According to everyone's guides, it should simply work. It did before I reformatted my machine a year or so back. It doesn't work now that I've reinstalled.

I've also tried immi101's 25fps limit EXE, and the same is true.

Would anyone be willing to help a fellow fan out with this?

Thanks!
-Metzger
Post edited June 25, 2018 by Metzger28
Hey homesteader...since you've got a license for the game swing by INTERSTATE76.COM and check out the installation instructions there.

You should be able to get Nitro running in less than an hour (starting from scratch), plus you'll end up with ALL the maps from Lightfoot's Stolen Maps, a 24fps limited EXE and an audio patch to fix the myriad of issues that can come with the game.

Rumor has it there are still weekly games on the ANET2 server: PLAY.INTERSTATE76.COM

(Sunday, Tuesday and Friday...)

If you're into Twitch, look for a stream tonight and some videos from prior events by searching for:

Interstate '76: Nitro Pack

See you on the roads...or not!
Hello everyone, while I've managed to get the game into a playable state through the solution provided by Wasudan, no matter what I try, the in-game music refuses to play. Clean install - no result, Clean install with Windows 95/98 compatibility settings - no result. For some reason, the music simply refuses to play, and there's got to be some way to fix it, I just have no idea how.

Running Windows 10 1803 on an AMD Ryzen 2700X + GTX 1070 system.
TransistorN2: Hello everyone, while I've managed to get the game into a playable state through the solution provided by Wasudan, no matter what I try, the in-game music refuses to play. Clean install - no result, Clean install with Windows 95/98 compatibility settings - no result. For some reason, the music simply refuses to play, and there's got to be some way to fix it, I just have no idea how.

Running Windows 10 1803 on an AMD Ryzen 2700X + GTX 1070 system.
Hey everyone! Thank you all for the incredible work and time invested to get this classic running on new hardware.

I'm having the same issue as TransistorN2,

Running the game through wine on macOS Sierra, software mode @ 1024x768. Windows 98 compatibility mode.

The game running great with the 25fps patch and I haven't encountered any other issues aside from the music refusing to play. Cutscenes play just fine so I have no idea why the game isn't playing the .wav tracks in the music folder. I suspect it has to do with the windows emulation?

Can anyone lend me their expertise? Perhaps configuring audio drivers in wine?

Thanks.
Metzger28: Hi Everyone,

I've followed a few different guides on a few different occasions, trying all sorts of setups here and elsewhere to get this game to run in high-res fullscreen. No success - the menus ether bug out and have the bug where they only update when the mouse hits an interactive object, or the game crashes once a mission loads. "unhandled exception". setting compatibility modes/running as Admin doesn't help.

Running on Windows 10, GPU is an nVidia GTX 1080. Some folks have told me that nvidia's handling of centered timings might be the reason the game doesn't want to run a fullscreen window without stretching...i've given up on this.

The issue I'm having: I've limited the game to 24FPS using RivaTuner, and confirmed with Fraps frame counter. It is indeed running at 24FPS. I have the CPU affinity set to 0 (using the first of my 4 cores). EDIT: I am running the game in a window, and I can confirm that the below issue persists whether it's fullscreen or not:

The AI/wobbly wheels bug still persists, even though the game is frame-limited. According to everyone's guides, it should simply work. It did before I reformatted my machine a year or so back. It doesn't work now that I've reinstalled.

I've also tried immi101's 25fps limit EXE, and the same is true.

Would anyone be willing to help a fellow fan out with this?

Thanks!
-Metzger
Same for me.

i5 4690
R9 290
16GB RAM

Tried all kinds of approaches. Downloaded basically all modded .exe files to get the game running.
I got the frames capped at 24/25/29/30 fps via Riva Tuner but the wobbly wheels persists.

I am about to give up on the game...

Also tried to run it in Virtualbox (Win95) as I still have the original CDs...but its so slow, the intro text fades in with about 1fps :(
16 is the magic number. Not 23,24,25,29 or 30.
I needed to go down to 16 fps and all is well.

That's most likely the framerate the game saw when I was playing it after its release XD
It's weird. Last year, I had the game running just fine using Wine (Linux' Windows emulator) and the Glide version, no physics glitches at all. This week, I had to reinstall the game to re-obtain the registry keys (the old installation folder remains the same though, all saves and etc are there). Now, I'm getting the "wobbly wheels" problem like I never see before. Exactly the same hardware, the same setup, and the game refuses to work. I tried DxWnd, the physics only works when the game gets unbearably slow (8 FPS) and turns into a slideshow (controls unresponsive too). Not sure what's happening. Maybe the guy who patched the EXE needs to provide us a new version that goes down even more? Like 20FPS this time. I just can't understand why the game isn't working since all files remain the same.
This thing is crazy. I had to restart my computer and right after reboot I tested i76.exe again. It's flawless again. At software mode, CPU usage low and good framerate, no physics glitches. Same with nGlide, but higher CPU usage (one core maxed out) and framerate not so smooth (stays average 18 FPS), no physics glitcher either. Anyway... I leave this update here in case anyone goes through the same. Just restart your computer. Shit is crazy xDDDDD Oh, I used this opportunity to also test if the game works if Wine is set up to emulate other windows versions. I had it initially at Win98, but using Windows7 it also works, the patched 25FPS EXE seems to recognize newer systems well. So no compatibility layer required anymore.
Metzger28: Hi Everyone,

[...]
Thanks!
-Metzger
rockhount: Same for me.

i5 4690
R9 290
16GB RAM

Tried all kinds of approaches. Downloaded basically all modded .exe files to get the game running.
I got the frames capped at 24/25/29/30 fps via Riva Tuner but the wobbly wheels persists.

I am about to give up on the game...

Also tried to run it in Virtualbox (Win95) as I still have the original CDs...but its so slow, the intro text fades in with about 1fps :(
This posting is for i76 I have not tried Nitro yet.
The settings in this post worked for me:
https://www.gog.com/forum/interstate_series/i_76_at_high_res_even_widescreen/post12

The Batch file from in the post above is used in combination with the exe from immi101:
https://www.gog.com/forum/interstate_series/the_groovin_i_76_workaround_thread/post141

BUT: I left the resolution in the DirectX tab of dgVoodoo at Unforced, because thats what caused the mouse bug in the Menu for me. VRAM is at 256. For better fonts AF is set at 16x and AA at 8x. In Glide Tab I use 2048 memory size. I personally didnt have any other bugs besides the crashes after beginning a new mission, but saving/reloading helps.

Hope I could help someone to make the game playable. Thanks for all the great work from alle the other users, especially rtharris98 and immi101. Thanks to you it now works on my system.

Running on:
Windows 7 x64
Intel Q6600
4GB Ram
Nvidia Geforce 750ti

Enjoy!

Edit: Okay saving/reloading seems not to solve the crash issue. Now the game crashes before I am able to save.

Edit2: Finally I created a new batch file and it works thanks to I76Giotto: https://www.gog.com/forum/interstate_series/the_groovin_i_76_workaround_thread/post77

my .bat file looks now like this:

taskkill /f /IM explorer.exe
start /w "Interstate 76" /high /affinity 1 i76_fix.exe -glide
pause
start explorer.exe

The game still crashes randomly after beginning a new mission, but it's playable since I can save before a crash. Also restarting missions now also works, before that I got crashes every time. So finally a solution which works for me, now lets see how far I can get :)
Post edited November 26, 2018 by analessodbrennen
yo there

i just wanna share my experience with launching both i76 and nitro

after reading tons of tutorials and trying milions of files dlls and stuff i end up with 1920x1080 resolution ingame which i choose and 640x480 in menus which i cant change
while my only problem was physics where car wheels of other cars had convulsions and they move allot slower

fix for that was simply instead of chaning options in dgvoodoo just restarting my pc

here are things i did and i dont know if all of that is needed but i just list them
1. i cleaned game folders and deleted some files
screen is here imgur.com/f6xe7gO
i think i deleted all files containing gog in it uninstall and txt files and well things that didnt look like important stuff

2. thing i did make a folder for Lee_____.ttf named LEE TTF and placed that file there in case its needed for something but seems its not

3. i tested it undr dgvoodoo 2.51 and 2.55 in both cases works the same way

4. dgvoodoo + Glide.dll Glide2x.dll placed in respective game folder for i76 and nitro

5. dgvoodoo global tab aside from clicking .\ to set correct path UN CHECKED every single option while going with full screen

6. dgvoodoo glide tab voodoo rush, ram 2mb, TMU 2048, resolution 1920x1080 but im sure u can pick urs, TMUs 1, MSAA x8, every single option left was UN CHECKED

7. dgvoodoo directx tab ati radeon 8500, vram 256, resolution 1920x1080, MSAA x8, every single option left was UN CHECKED

8. (i want to point here that i DO NOT use any compatibility modes) i use this bat script to launch the game
start /w i76.exe -glide
close

9. enjoy
I finally found a workaround that might work for good on modern Windows computers and it involves using the GOG.com edition of this game. I will post that guide on the very first opportunity when I get the chance.
Hey folks. I tried copy and pasting my guide on here but still didn't work. Probably the guide was too long to post maybe. Anyway, I posted the guide here on my reddit for those interested. If followed correctly, you should be able to get the game working on a modern windows computer like mine. I am on Windows 10 64-bit computer.

https://www.reddit.com/user/Xetrem190/comments/d5b8ho/complete_guide_on_getting_interstate_76/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x
Your guide there is spot on, thanks for the hard work man!
I just want to add something that sounds dumb I know but this totally happened to me last year... If you did everything for the game to work and it still runs too fast or have physics problems, try restarting your computer. (this is not a joke) Someone out there will be able to provide a more detailed technical explanation, but the CPU gets tied with the executable, restarting frees the CPU from those ties...