First of all, thanks for all the work that's gone into this high-quality sound patch. It makes a massive improvement to the game, and brings it back to how I remember playing the old CD-audio version. The sound and music in Heroes are so important that this really makes an enormous difference to the atmosphere.
Anyway, unfortunately I have bad news. I've discovered a new problem, in that the patched game now seems to freeze, where previously it didn't.
To create my sound-patched version, I started with a new installation using the recently-uploaded version 2 installer. Immediately after installing the game (even before running it once), I patched it with the universal sound patcher. Everything went smoothly. However, in the meantime I'd kept my previous version with the 8-bit mono sound. I was intending to delete it, but I thought I'd have a quick play of the newly installed version, both to enjoy the improved sound and to check that it worked OK.
It did work OK for quite some time, but then I ran into a weird problem where, at the start of a battle, the game would freeze and the sound would stop (though palette colour changes continued). The only option is to quit out of Boxer.
This problem is consistent and repeatable, and only happens in the new, patched version of the game. If I move the save-game file into my older copy of Heroes I, the freeze doesn't occur.
So I've uploaded the save-game file so that others can test it and see if the problem happens for them, too: http://www.sendspace.com/file/grprk6
It's just an AUTOSAVE.GM1 file, to put in the GAMES directory. Load it and end the turn. The green opponent should immediately attack the castle that the blue hero is in. Just after the battle begins, the freeze occurs. It appears to be when the enemy AI tries to cast a Paralyse spell.
Note that I've seen the Paralyse spell being cast successfully earlier in the game, so I don't think it's a corrupt sound effect being triggered, for example.
Can anyone get to the bottom of this?
Thanks a lot for your feedback. Unfortunately I wasn't able to reproduce your error, since I don't have a mac to try it on. I tried your savegame on Windows and it worked just fine with both installations. Got my troops paralyzed alright, but not the game :/
I'll try digging some more when I have time. Meanwhile, you can try some workarounds by yourself. For starters, you can run HOMM setup (the DOS-based one), select the soundcard again and see if anything changes. If you choose another sound option (eg 8bit mono again) and the game still freezes occasionaly, we can be quite sure the problem lies with the new disc image; creating new one from scratch should probably help. You can also try using clean dosbox build instead of boxer to see whether some emulation patch is interfering with the game ... simply try to change your environment a bit and see what happens. I'm sorry I'm not much help at the moment, but I'll definitely mess with the game some more and get back to you once I get some results.