It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

moranms: Hmm. Try removing winmm.dll if it still exists in the Heroes folder (the new file, oggwinmm.dll, needs to be there). Also try setting the mode to Fullscreen via Graphics Launcher.exe. If the game starts windowed first, I'm not sure if you'll be able to switch the CD music on. If you can get it starting in full screen (and therefore using the ddraw.dll) you should be able to switch the music type.
spruceroot: So I'm still having problems to get full screen running. Clean installation. Removed winmm.dll. Copied the files. I try to set full screen in graphics launhcer but when i launch it still puts out a small window. And the fullscreen option in the menubar is grayed out. The other options work though. I have a GTX 1070 if that helps.
Can you try this version? http://www.filedropper.com/ddraw
spruceroot: So I'm still having problems to get full screen running. Clean installation. Removed winmm.dll. Copied the files. I try to set full screen in graphics launhcer but when i launch it still puts out a small window. And the fullscreen option in the menubar is grayed out. The other options work though. I have a GTX 1070 if that helps.
moranms: Can you try this version? http://www.filedropper.com/ddraw
Works wonderfully. Thanks so much. I'm a programmer and even though I have little experience with graphics programming I'm very interested to know how you created these custom dlls. Also, what happened with anniversary update that broke the first dll?
I like this Windows version much more than the DoxBox one but you need to remember to set the CPU affinity to one core or you will experience random crashes. To avoid alt-tabing out of the game every time to change the affinity you can make a BAT file in the same folder as the game with the following command in it:

@start /affinity 1 HEROES2W.EXE
moranms: Can you try this version? http://www.filedropper.com/ddraw
spruceroot: Works wonderfully. Thanks so much. I'm a programmer and even though I have little experience with graphics programming I'm very interested to know how you created these custom dlls. Also, what happened with anniversary update that broke the first dll?
Great, glad it's working.

The graphics (ddraw.dll) are all based off of the ddhack project (http://sol.gfxile.net/ddhack/). I used that as the shell and incorporated Direct2D (DX 11.1) calls for rendering (and made a good amount of modifications to get Heroes2 working with ddhack).

The audio is based off of ogg-winmm (https://github.com/hifi-unmaintained/ogg-winmm) with additional tweaks to properly resume the CD audio where it last left off.

In both cases, the general idea is to produce DLL's with the same exported functions as the standard Windows copies. Doing so allows you to redirect certain functions to your own logic (known as DLL wrapping/intercepting/redirecting). Win10 Anniversary introduces two issues. First, for the audio, the standard winmm.dll was updated with additional exported functions. Since my copy used to redirect calls was now out of sync with the actual winmm.dll, it no longer worked. Instead of reworking my winmm.dll to match the new standard winmm.dll, I took a different route - DLL hooking. I let Heroes load the standard winmm, then "hook", or replace, some of the function calls to the standard library with my own. So instead of pretending to be the actual winmm.dll, we now just overwrite a few pointers to redirect the standard function calls to the new oggwinmm.dll.

For ddraw.dll, Win10 seemingly made a change to a specific Direct2D setting I used for rendering. Whereas before the Anniversary update my rendering setting was happily accepted, post update it would throw a "not supported" exception. Simply had to tweak that to an alternate setting and it worked again.
spruceroot: Works wonderfully. Thanks so much. I'm a programmer and even though I have little experience with graphics programming I'm very interested to know how you created these custom dlls. Also, what happened with anniversary update that broke the first dll?
moranms: Great, glad it's working.

The graphics (ddraw.dll) are all based off of the ddhack project (http://sol.gfxile.net/ddhack/). I used that as the shell and incorporated Direct2D (DX 11.1) calls for rendering (and made a good amount of modifications to get Heroes2 working with ddhack).

The audio is based off of ogg-winmm (https://github.com/hifi-unmaintained/ogg-winmm) with additional tweaks to properly resume the CD audio where it last left off.

In both cases, the general idea is to produce DLL's with the same exported functions as the standard Windows copies. Doing so allows you to redirect certain functions to your own logic (known as DLL wrapping/intercepting/redirecting). Win10 Anniversary introduces two issues. First, for the audio, the standard winmm.dll was updated with additional exported functions. Since my copy used to redirect calls was now out of sync with the actual winmm.dll, it no longer worked. Instead of reworking my winmm.dll to match the new standard winmm.dll, I took a different route - DLL hooking. I let Heroes load the standard winmm, then "hook", or replace, some of the function calls to the standard library with my own. So instead of pretending to be the actual winmm.dll, we now just overwrite a few pointers to redirect the standard function calls to the new oggwinmm.dll.

For ddraw.dll, Win10 seemingly made a change to a specific Direct2D setting I used for rendering. Whereas before the Anniversary update my rendering setting was happily accepted, post update it would throw a "not supported" exception. Simply had to tweak that to an alternate setting and it worked again.
Very interesting. Thanks again.
Post edited December 16, 2016 by spruceroot
Is there by any chance a way to enable the scaling/softening with this fix? Managed to get it to work, but the picture is does not have the "blurriness" to it and looks a bit "grainy" compared to the original.
edit: NM
Post edited December 18, 2016 by funkychld
LionShard: Is there by any chance a way to enable the scaling/softening with this fix? Managed to get it to work, but the picture is does not have the "blurriness" to it and looks a bit "grainy" compared to the original.
F9 will toggle between scaling methods.
Hello all,

I know I am running a little late on this but I'm having some issues playing Heroes 2. I can play full screen but sometimes when I double click (particularly on heroes) it brings up the attached/below error:

DirectDraw Error

DDERR_Generic

File:'F:\h2xsrc\source\wingraph.cpp'
Line: 552

Has anybody else had this issue? Thanks for the support!
Attachments:
capture.jpg (20 Kb)
SallJR: Hello all,

I know I am running a little late on this but I'm having some issues playing Heroes 2. I can play full screen but sometimes when I double click (particularly on heroes) it brings up the attached/below error:

DirectDraw Error

DDERR_Generic

File:'F:\h2xsrc\source\wingraph.cpp'
Line: 552

Has anybody else had this issue? Thanks for the support!
Are you using the “compatibility mode”? I solved a similar problem by closing it.
Post edited March 14, 2017 by Sandruse
hello all on my computer the heros is not working, what can i do?
when I try to open is say that windous find a problem and can open the game
Hey all,

I've been playing Heroes II on gameranger for years with minimum problems (if you wanna play me search nickname "Louthir" and msg me). I am on Windows 7 and the "optional windows version" you have on downloads works pretty well.

However, people on windows 10 always have problems running the game. I've been reading carefully the previous posts while trying to find a solution, but the files you're suggesting to copy on Heroes 2 folder have broken links to them.

Could you re-upload what is necessary for windows 10 in a permanent location and share instructions again?

Thank you very much in advance, and waiting you all to come play some multiplayer on gameranger.
I would also really appreciate the files if anyone has them. I have some friends who need them to get the game running. If needed, I could upload them into a permanent file sharing service. Thanks in advance.
Post edited August 24, 2017 by ZeniphN
ZeniphN: I would also really appreciate the files if anyone has them. I have some friends who need them to get the game running. If needed, I could upload them into a permanent file sharing service. Thanks in advance.
I think this is the latest version. Works well for me, but I've heard it's choppy for some folks. Hope it works for you.

You'll need the Visual C++ 2015 runtimes installed: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48145

Drop both dlls from this zip into the Heroes of Might and Magic 2 (Win) folder. If the game starts windowed, hit F4 to enter full screen. You may have to quit and restart to get the audio working (sometimes if the game starts windowed the CD audio won't work, just make sure the game starts fullscreen). F9 will toggle between scaling modes.

http://www.filedropper.com/heroes2win10fixes
Now if only there were some way to change between the original and expansion music from within the game...
Post edited August 26, 2017 by s3rialthrill3r