It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Hi,

I just wanted to update Hellbalde but when I start updating the GOG client tells me that there's not enough space.

I looked at this and there is 12.1 GB free space left.

Please do not tell me that this "Update" is going to download the whole game again and needs twice the size of the game...

Answers and suggestions are welcome.

Regards
Post edited August 17, 2017 by kaonashi_de
Download size is about 58 MB, but when the game applies diff-patch to it's files it makes a local copy of HellbladeGame-WindowsNoEditor.pak (16.1 GB) and HellbladeGame-Win64-Shipping.exe (69 MB). So the whole update needs about 16.3 GB free space in total, which will be freed immediately after it's done.

Question to GoG team. Will there be a possibility to download and install this patch from the website, not using Galaxy? For now i can't see it in the Downloads section.

P.S.: Can't say for sure what is happening now. Game said that it was updated. But now it updates again (same files was copied locally) but this time update stalled at 60% for already 15 minutes and downloading something. This time I cannot say what is the DL size, it writes 9.7 GB / 9.7 GB (1.4 MB/s). The first number must be lower then the second and raise gradually i suppose, but it doesn't. So maybe patch is much bigger then it appeared during the first iteration.
Post edited August 17, 2017 by ssv_170379
ssv_170379: Download size is about 58 MB, but when the game applies diff-patch to it's files it makes a local copy of HellbladeGame-WindowsNoEditor.pak (16.1 GB) and HellbladeGame-Win64-Shipping.exe (69 MB). So the whole update needs about 16.3 GB free space in total, which will be freed immediately after it's done.

Question to GoG team. Will there be a possibility to download and install this patch from the website, not using Galaxy? For now i can't see it in the Downloads section.

P.S.: Can't say for sure what is happening now. Game said that it was updated. But now it updates again (same files was copied locally) but this time update stalled at 60% for already 15 minutes and downloading something. This time I cannot say what is the DL size, it writes 9.7 GB / 9.7 GB (1.4 MB/s). The first number must be lower then the second and raise gradually i suppose, but it doesn't. So maybe patch is much bigger then it appeared during the first iteration.
Thanks for the answer. This is truly ridiculous. An update to address a few bugs is 16 GB in size. Hooray...
It's not the update. To me it seems that technically, the whole game (every sound, model, texture, animation, level geometry, etc, everything you may think of) is packed into a single giant file. And in order to change it in any slightliest way, you should make a backup copy of it, just not to lose it forever in case of power cutoff or something. So it doesn't matter how small is the patch, you'll need to backup almost a whole game before applying it. I honestly don't know if UE4 allows to split resources into several smaller pack files when cooking a release, maybe not.
Post edited August 17, 2017 by ssv_170379
ssv_170379: It's not the update. To me it seems that technically, the whole game (every sound, model, texture, animation, level geometry, etc, everything you may think of) is packed into a single giant file. And in order to change it in any slightliest way, you should make a backup copy of it, just not to lose it forever in case of power cutoff or something. So it doesn't matter how small is the patch, you'll need to backup almost a whole game before applying it. I honestly don't know if UE4 allows to split resources into several smaller pack files when cooking a release, maybe not.
If the technology is similar to previous Unreal Engines it should be possible to split the game date into several files.

But down to to core it is still the update that make problems. Why copying a game file when it is erased after updating?

This is simply stupid.
Post edited August 18, 2017 by kaonashi_de
Yeah, I hope the patch will be posted to the regular download page soon. I do not want to install yet another store client. Currently holding off playing further until I can install the patch.
Post edited August 18, 2017 by zioxin
zioxin: Yeah, I hope the patch will be posted to the regular download page soon. I do not want to install yet another store client. Currently holding off playing further until I can install the patch.
Now that the offline patch is available you get annoyed again - trying to update from this file is failing. The log file tells it is unable to modify "HellbladeGame-WindowsNoEditor.pak"

Once more - great work!
I dunno, what I would try is:
1. Free-up some space, uninstall or temporarily move some data from your Hellblade logic volume to another partition, USB stick or even online storage.
2. In case of update failure (I don't know maybe there's integrity problem with your .pak file) completely reinstall the game (just in case, savegame is stored in C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\HellbladeGame\Saved\SaveGames\ ).
ssv_170379: I dunno, what I would try is:
1. Free-up some space, uninstall or temporarily move some data from your Hellblade logic volume to another partition, USB stick or even online storage.
2. In case of update failure (I don't know maybe there's integrity problem with your .pak file) completely reinstall the game (just in case, savegame is stored in C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\HellbladeGame\Saved\SaveGames\ ).
Dumb idea. All data on this HDD belongs to other games, I will not destroy them by moving some of the data. And a re-installation takes time since my internet connection is not so fast.

I just want to update the game, is that so difficult to do?
I just updated the game with the new patch and no problems so far. Using GOG Galaxy.
Elixir: I just updated the game with the new patch and no problems so far. Using GOG Galaxy.
Since I cannot count on the devs I decided to uninstall another game, update Hellblade and then reinstall the former uninstalled game. But this is ridiculous. I would like to punch those developers in the face for being so dumb (or lazy). They would have earned it.

I just hope that the next patch will be technically better solved.
Post edited August 20, 2017 by kaonashi_de
Unless you're running on a very small SSD (less than 150Gb), having only 12 gb of free space seems ridiculous.

Particularly if you're running on a mechanical hard drive, which should always have at least 15% free space. There's no way you're using a 100GB or less mechanical hard drive in a PC that can run Hellblade.

But even for an SSD, having a decent amount of free space is usually beneficial. It can help maintain performance and increase the drive's lifespan. Though it really depends on the specific drive you're using and may not necessarily apply.

I start to get worried when I have less than 100Gb of free space ...
KingOfDust: Unless you're running on a very small SSD (less than 150Gb), having only 12 gb of free space seems ridiculous.

Particularly if you're running on a mechanical hard drive, which should always have at least 15% free space. There's no way you're using a 100GB or less mechanical hard drive in a PC that can run Hellblade.

But even for an SSD, having a decent amount of free space is usually beneficial. It can help maintain performance and increase the drive's lifespan. Though it really depends on the specific drive you're using and may not necessarily apply.

I start to get worried when I have less than 100Gb of free space ...
Great. That means that I'm forced not to use the space I paid for. That's what is ridiculous.

Also have to say that the new patch 1.02 is creating the same error.

Just perfect...